'06 2320SL trailer recommendation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've been away for awhile. Busy buying a house, planning a wedding, and working. :wink:

I'm thinking about buying a trailer for my 2320. I don't know anything about trailers though, this will be my first one. I'm probably just going to use it to haul the boat home for the winter mostly, but I'd also like the option to haul it to the dealer if needed.

What do you guys recommend? Bunks vs roller, aluminum vs galvanized, etc?

Thanks!

Dom 8)

My last trip out, when I came back in to Gloucester and found the docks grounded due to extreme low tide, I was loving my roller trailer. If I had a bunk I would've been waiting for the tide which would have sucked. I have an EZ Loader roller trailer. I think EZ Loader sucks. Every light on the trailer died, all the grommets dry rotted and fell out, every seal on the oil bath hubs leaked. For the price they charge you would expect them to use high quality components instead of crap.

Get a galvanized roller trailer. Loadrite makes a good trailer. 5 star is their economy line up. Disk brakes are a must. Torsion axles are nice.

AL trailers flex and don't have the lifespan of gal steel. (Only so many times you can flex al without it breaking) AL trailers are only better at saving weight and looking nicer longer. See here; http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thre ... 7&posts=16

Bunks are good for the nicer ramps. Rollers give you the opportunity to launch and retrieve with less worries at more ramps

;)

B-Faithful":2y8lpkqf said:
AL trailers flex and don't have the lifespan of gal steel. (Only so many times you can flex al without it breaking) AL trailers are only better at saving weight and looking nicer longer.
;)

I think rust will kill a steel trailer long before aluminum fatigue sets in especially of the steel trailer is not rinsed enough after salt exposure.

Lets be honest though, either will last plenty long.

The weight of a boat is carried on the axles not on the frame so it is not as if the Al I beams are bearing a lot of weight.

Furthermore, from my bike racing days, I can tell you that Al vs steel was talked about there too. Steel bikes were preferred by many including me, because the ride was softer. Al was too stiff (ie did *NOT* flex) and you would feel every bump in a bone jarring way. So Im not sure I agree with your Al trailers flexing theory.

For the OP's use, get whatever for that minimal use but I would suggest bunk simply because there is no wondering whether you have enough rollers, are they positioned right, etc. If you do get rollers, dont skimp and be *sure* the rollers are positioned appropriately for the boat.

Hey I don't know if you got a trailer or not but if you live close to Baltimore call David Schmidt e-mail [email protected] Phone 717-577-7451 he sales new Venture trailers he has a 2008 5800lbs. up to 26FT. boat for $2,475.00 hope that will help Tom You also can get David to meet you half way :idea:

Get a bunk trailer if you are going to keep the boat in a slip and trailer will only be used a few times a year.
Another advantage, it's pretty easy to touch up bottom paint with the boat on bunks over a roller trailer.

A properly galvanized steel trailer will last longer than you will, even with no rinsing. I've had three galv. trailers, and none ever developed any significant rust. One is nearing 30 years of regular, at least weekly, saltwater service, and it has no rust. Painted or powder-coated steel is another matter. These It will turn to dust in short order if exposed to saltwater.

I have no experience with aluminum, but I know they're very popular in the Southeast.

Bunks are superior unless you need rollers due to ramp limitations. Bunks support the boat better, require way less maintenance, and the boat stays put, not always wanting to roll off of the trailer.

For your stated uses I would say buy a trailer that gives you the best value.... I wouldn't worry too much about the bunk vs roller if you find one that is priced a lot better than the other.... I prefer my bunk trailer and wouldn't have it any other way unless my boat ramp required a roller.

I would avoid Tie Down brakes if possible......look for Kodiak.... but the Tie Down's will work as long as you do aggressive and careful maintanence.

Avoid drum brakes like the plague.....

The more aluminum and stainless steel you have the nicer it will look...

LED lights are nice.... if the trailer you get doesn't have them you will be putting them on in a year or so....

Tires... lots of opinions out there... I got rid of my Carlisles when one shreded a tread..... The Goodyear Marathons I have show bulges in the sidewalls and this is a commonly reported problem.... With the low miles you are planning on doing any should be fine as long as they are kept out of the sun and properly inflated.

I wouldn't get anything but torsion axles.....

Have fun!

Richard

Back