10 Micron vs. 2 Micron Fuel Filter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish

Reaction score
Guys/Gals!

Quick question: From a previous post, I have decided that I am going to have to change my water/fuel filter and probably the other filters 2-3 times a year. I just cannot keep the crap out of the VST. So, I was at the Fred Hall show in San Diego and ran into a company that has easy to switch fuel filters. Snap off, snap on. http://www.oilfilterservice.com if you are interested.

Anyways, what are your experiences with a 2 micron vs a 10 micron fuel filter? I hear it keeps the fuel cleaner, but I have heard it can put more of a strain on your low pressure fuel pump.

I have a 2004 225 Yamaha. Not very happy with this engine/set-up as fuel issues are tough....

PP

I use 2 micron rated racor filter with a clear bottom bowl. I check it often and don't have water in the fuel but change the filter 2 - 3 times a year or when I see any significant sediment buildup in the bowl. I buy filters from SIM for $26 each. I also change the fuel filter under cowling if I see any debris. One day I will buy another fuel head and bowl and have 2 inline filters setup. The first one will be 10 micron rated then a 2 micron. Previously we pumped out all gas and only use E Zero. No more E10

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

'Stacking' a 10 micron and a 2 micron filter would be the ultimate in protection, but most of us don't have the space for that.
Never heard that the 2 micron filters put stress on the low pressure fuel pumps as I was under the impression that the under-cowl filter was a 2 micron already.
Does anyone know for sure?

I use the blue Yamaha filters on my OX66 fuel system, and have never had an issue (even with E10).
I put a new one on during spring commissioning, and depending on the hours, sometimes 1/2 way through the season.

I always buy my fuel (on the water) from high volume fuel docks to always ensure getting fresh(er) fuel.
No issues thus far.

Attachments

• DSCN0017.jpg
    DSCN0017.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 278
For what its worth, I've been using 2 micron Racor filters since they came out and haven't had a problem with my 200HP 2-stroke Yamaha. Since switching over the VST filter has been noticeably cleaner and now I am at the point where I have switched to checking it every other year.

-- Tom

I actually abandoned the 2 micron Racor filter after my Yammy 250 became sluggish. Mechanic thought maybe it was too restrictive of the flow and that we should go back to the 10 micron filter.

If you have a clean tank the 2 microns work great, but having this problem if you do go to 2 microns always keep a spare onboard just in case the filter does get a restricted fuel flow from debris while you are on the water. I would have the fuel tank cleaned and replace hoses if they are old like Warthog recommended

What's old fuel lines ? 10 years? 15-20?

Back