115 2 stroke 1999 - questions.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flydoc

Reaction score
My 1999 Parker 1800 has a 99 Yamaha 2 stroke 115hp
The boat is not equipped with an engine hour counter.
Is there a way to determine how many hours this engine has?

Also if I were to want a replacement prop how do I know which is the right one for my boat and motor?

Should I invest in a manual?

I must admit I should have looked the boat over a little more but my impulsivity got the better of me.

Besides I couldn't resist it. Acted with my gut feeling rather than my brain.

flydoc":zn56wmj7 said:
Is there a way to determine how many hours this engine has?
Not really on a 2-stroke motor of that vintage. One guesstimate would be 50-60 hours per season, which is the "average" use, but it could be 100+ or more too. Usually a fairly good indicator is how clean the OB is under the cowling, as too how clean the entire rig is ... meaning it was well taken care of.

Also if I were to want a replacement prop how do I know which is the right one for my boat and motor?
You need to know your MAXIMUM RPMs at WOT and use a prop pitched to give you 200-300 leass than that with 1/2 tank and normal gear/load on board. Yam 2-strokes run and last best when pitched so you're running in the upper half of the recommended RPM band.

Should I invest in a manual?
I would, but DO NOT buy a Clymer or Seloc manual IMHO. The OEM Yamaha factory service manual (and parts manual, if available) is the only way to go. Or just use a good service/dealer.

flydoc":1lgrfgib said:
I must admit I should have looked the boat over a little more but my impulsivity got the better of me.

Besides I couldn't resist it. Acted with my gut feeling rather than my brain.

That gut feeling isn't always a bad thing...

I bought a 1996 2520 MVSC that was filthy dirty... but she surveyed well, and my gut told me she was a good one. She had just been neglected.

I had to put some money into her to bring her up to where I thought she needed to be, but I still think it was money well spent - the purchase price, and the repairs and upgrades.

ditto what Dale said and also try Yamaha's web site for the performance bulletins. The real issue with the engine is not so much the hours but how it was maintained. Try to get in contact with the original owner if the dealer will give you the name. If the boat and engine "look good" then that is at least some indication that it was maintained.

I'd think about replacing the water pump, all filters, gear oil, plugs, and thermostat and getting a compression test. WWM should at least do the test for you and see if they can't give you some kind of warranty that starts in the spring. Use ring free and yamalube and flush the engine after each use.....Accurate Marine in Bohemia sells Yamalube in bulk. Install a 10 micron Racor fuel water seperator if you don't have one. Also check if that engine uses resistors in the spark plug boots and if so have them tested to see if still in spec.

Is the boat at WWM? If you want I can look it over with you as I live "next door" in Oakdale.

Good luck
Ray

Back