150 HPDI VS 200 HPDI on Parker 2520DV?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysbigfish

Reaction score
What is a better set up twin 150 HPDIs or twin 200 HPDIs on a 2520DV.
Is the HPDI a good motor or should I get the 4 strok?

The HPDI's are very reliable motors, and the 200's are the best of the best.

That said, the new F150's have been found to be very powerful and reliable as well. The decision between 2 and 4 stroke power is a personal choice.

The power that you select depends on where and how you boat, what your performance requirements are, how much weight you can afford to hang on your transom, what your range requirements are... those sort of things.

There really is no simple answer, without knowing your particular circumstances.

Do you have a notch transom or a bracket ? The bracket is more tolerant of extra weight, the notch is preferred over all. If you have a notch, you might lean HPDI, if a bracket, maybe 4 strokes. Either way these are all good choices.

I have heard from a large, reputable, Yamaha dealer, who specializes in Parker re-powers, that the 200 HPDI's on the notch are the bomb.

I have twin 150's on a notch, the boat is plenty fast, cruise's in the low 30's 2 to 2.2 MPG weather permitting. I was contemplating HPDI's also, but at the time twin 150's was the largest set up they would put on a notch, maybe that has changed? I was only going to buy a notch, IMO the twin bracket is too hard to fish around.

out

I found the maintenence on the 4-stokes to be frequent, expensive and a hassle. Yamaha4-stroke water pump bodies are extremely prone to warpage. $40 item. Plan on it every 100 hours, then throw in valve adjustments, engine oil changes, lower unit oil changes, belt replacement etc. double all this if you have twins...
Look at the E Tecs before you do anything. No scheduled maintenence for 300 hours. that's 2 years for me.

My experience is that I have had an exceptionally clean and well equipped pontoon boat (popular in my area) for sale for seven months with an obo note on it. It has a 2 stoke 90 HP outboard engine in warranty till 2011 and callers will not even come see it because it is a 2 stoke. I finally listed it as a 2 stoke and the potential buyer calls have all but ended.

For resale, I will not have another 2 stroke and we, unfortunately, all know one day our boat will be for sale. Has nothing to do with which is best - 2 or 4 - just public perception. My 4 stroke 150 Yamaha draws many curious lookers all wanting to hear its low noise level.

Greatcir

The Japanese OB motor makers have Americans "in the ether" and deluded into believing that 4-strokes are "better" (and "greener") than 2 strokes. It's simply not true- at least where an E Tec is concerned. I have researched the topic for 6 months. I have heard NOT ONE THING BAD about the E Tec. But I have owned a Yamaha 4-stroke. Expensive to own and operate. They DO NOT PUT OUT THEIR RATED HORSEPOWER. :cry: Compared side by side with Yamaha F series 4 strokes E Tec's have: Lower emmisions (3-stars vs 2 for the Yamahas) with comparable or better fuel economy. Way more torque, about 15-20% lighter and much less required maintenence. It's a no-brainer for me.
As far as no Buyers for the 2-stroke pontoon; price it RIGHT and it will sell! I am in Real Estate. People always feel the their house is in some way special and tend to want to overprice based on their emotional attachment to their home.

PS: It's interesting to note that Shorts Marine in DE is pulling OFF Yamaha F series 4-stroke motors and repowering NEW PARKERS with E Tecs. This speaks VOLUMES in this 2-stroke/4-stroke debate!

bajadude said:
The Japanese OB motor makers have Americans "in the ether" and deluded into believing that 4-strokes are "better" (and "greener") than 2 strokes. quote]

Yep, the Japanese have also tricked us into believing their cars, radios, computers, cameras, TV's, Kubuta and Izusu diesels, and power tools are, as you say "better and greener".

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yamaha..."Turn key reliability" 8)

Lightspeed,
Wanna play? I'm your Huckleberry!
When's the last vacation you took on a JAPANESE JET ?
Answer: never; BOEING (Oh yeah General Electric engines...)
Last CT scan: GE or Siemens (GERMANY)
Last operation: GE anesthesia cart
Last WAR: F22 Raptor

See pics

The Japs don't make this stuff. Not for lack of trying...
We were lucky in WW2...but smart too. never forget this.

Attachments

• 777_topshot_375.jpg
    777_topshot_375.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 167
  • GE lightspeed.jpg
    GE lightspeed.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 167
  • ge anesthesia cart.jpg
    ge anesthesia cart.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 167
  • f22.jpg
    f22.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 167
I may not have made my last posting as clear as I should have. For seven months I have had for sale a 2005 pontoon boat (popular here) with a 2005 2 stroke 90 HP engine. My ad ran on the web in three states.

I have been in the boat building business and priced my pontoon after looking at BUC, Kelly and the current other lisitngs. I am lower than them and I am the only one with OBO after my price. I have also run the ad without a price and just asked repondees to make an offer.

The calls I have received have all asked "Is the motor a 4 stoke?" I say no and tell them it is a 2 stoke I have is in warranty till 2011. They simply say thanks, I am not interested in a 2 stroke and end the call.

I say this because it has totally surprised me. Yes, I bought the 2 stoke because it was lighter and cheaper and a good performer. As I am in a seller position now, I sure wish I had opted for the 4 stoke.

It is not an emotional issue with me. Just plain business $ and cents.

A day after I brought my 2120 SC home with a 150 yammie 4 stroke, I had an offer for a bit more than I paid for it because the man wanted only a 4 stroke. Not wanting to trailer another one 600 miles, I passed. But it demonstrated to me again the saleability of the 4 stroke (and the Parker).

well, HELOC $$ is drying up all over the country (that's what folks are buying boats with).... buckle your seatbelt, because we are in for a rough ride!

I had a 2510 with twin 150 2-strokes for 9 years. Plenty of power and low end torque. Now own a 2820 with 250 4-strokes. Less low end torque, much slower to plane. I question whether twin 150 4-strokes is enough on a 2520 DV. I'd go for the 200. Just my opinion, but quite a noticeable difference from 2-stroke to 4-stroke.

You can't go wrong with either of your choices as stated above 2 or 4 that is a personal preference. I have owned 2 strokes since the late 70’s purchased a 2520dvsc in 05 with twin F-150s on a bracket. After 2 years of running the F-150s I would not own another 2 stroke (just my preference) as for power the 150s be it 2s or 4s will be more than enough power. I consistently run fully loaded ~8000lbs with 5 guys and get ~2mpg at 30mph. I have been out in some really rough conditions and I have never felt the boat was underpowered. I would also really recommend the bracket it gives you a little more room in the cockpit and contrary to what some say it is not an issue fishing around the motors. Yes the maintenance is rough I change the oil, the lower unit oil and fuel filters every 100hrs.... oh yea and I put gas in it :D It will not matter which one you pick Yamaha 2 or 4 or the E-Tec they are all three good motors.

Back