18 or 21SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba1448

Reaction score
I am looking seriously at either an 18 or 21SE. Both would have a F150. I live and boat between 2 dealers, I am going to check them both. I am looking for any recommendations. Thank-you.

I have a 21 SE. Great ride. Heavy boat. F150 is adequate for bays and chop. It is a 37mph boat. Tabs are a must. I really like the leaningpost with rocketlauncher option on my 21SE, and recommend it. If you do go this way, I recommend getting a footrest for your console as well. This boat is a great value.

Some pics:

IMG_0145-3.jpg

helm-1.jpg

The 1801 does 40 mph (lightly loaded) with the supplied Yamaha F115. Dealers have told me that they have never seen 1801's supplied with anything other than the 115. At just under 6 mpg at the most efficient speed of 26 mph, I personally would not want a 150 on that boat.

Size Matters. Buy the 21. My guess is that shortly thereafter, you will have wished you bought a 23 and be very glad you didn't buy the 18. :D

NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH AN 18 FOOTER BUT, IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY AND ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL....

I've had both. Present boat is a 21 SE.
Depends on how you use the boat and how much room you need. Tabs are a must on the 21 SE. The 18 can get by without them as it's more responsive to engine trim. If you spend much time off shore the 21 SE is a better choice but if most of your boating is in sheltered water the 18 would be better perhaps as it draws less water and is lighter to get around. 21 SE is perfect for me as I can use it off shore and still get up in the shallow creeks fishng and I can handle either to fish alone when I have no one with me. Both are great choices.

I did some major comparing this fall between the 21se and the 1801. I chose the 1801 for 2 main reasons.
The boat feels to cut through chop better with the narrower beam. (No Tabs) on either test boats.
Lower cost of ownership between maintnance,gas etc. 6mpg is very nice at cruise.
The fact that the 21se was over 5k more did not have a major role as both were in the budget, for what I do, mainly fishing in Great bay and 3-5 miles out it seemed to be the perfect fit. I am very happy!!

I would go with the boat that fits your fishing needs. In general, I would learn toward "more" boat than you need (if $$$ is not a concern). You won't ever encounter a situation in which you say "...if I only would have gotten the 21..". For me, if I were to take the boat into a body of water that could turn bad quickly and potentially be dangerous, I'll go bigger. If that would NEVER (river type of fishing) happen, go with the 18'. Good luck.

I am using this boat on the Chester river only, maybe in the Chesapeake Bay once in a while (2-3 year plan is 2520 for the Bay/keeping this boat for crabbing and river fishing). Also some trailering to other lakes for fishing. I appreciate all replies, they have been very helpful.

My '07 1801 w/ 115hp Yamaha 4 stroke, takes me anywhere in the Lower Chesapeake as well as the Light Tower 15 mi offshore. It handles very well to say the least. The operating costs and purchase price are hard to beat.

Jonas

hello:

I've owned and run both an 18 and 21se. I WANTED the 21 to be better - honestly.

truth is the hull on the 18 seemed to run better across the spectrum, with both having tabs.

2-3 guys fishing, or wife and 2 small kids - in both cases, not enough gained to make the $$$ diff worth it.

lastly - I pul my boats for season myself - the diff in size is real, as is the load to tow.

feel fre to call - 646-454-1443 to talk further - I have over 1k hrs on both hulls.

pb

I've been very pleased with my '07 1801 w/ F115. This setup is very fuel efficient on the water, and easy to trailer. I've fished the CBBT, Delaware Bay, and Susky Flats without any problems. As many have stated before ... the 1801 is a big 18 ft boat.

Jersey Jim":1xs5cnka said:
The 1801 does 40 mph (lightly loaded) with the supplied Yamaha F115. Dealers have told me that they have never seen 1801's supplied with anything other than the 115. At just under 6 mpg at the most efficient speed of 26 mph, I personally would not want a 150 on that boat.

Actually, mine came with an F150. It really moves and the performance numbers have been great. Fuel economy has averaged close to 5mpg and with a full bait tank, two ice chests and three guys on board there is never a problem getting up on plane. I have never cracked 4000rpm and have easily hit 40mph when the conditions have allowed.

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 917
Matrix, that's a beautiful boat. I bet it really accelerates! Let me rephrase what I said. " I would not NEED a 150 on that boat. If that was the only configuration available, I would take it in a heartbeat and enjoy the benefits out of the combo. If both boats were identical and available to me with both motors, I would still take the 115 and enjoy the benefits of that configuration.

Jersey Jim":7ydncfbg said:
Matrix, that's a beautiful boat. I bet it really accelerates! Let me rephrase what I said. " I would not NEED a 150 on that boat. If that was the only configuration available, I would take it in a heartbeat and enjoy the benefits out of the combo. If both boats were identical and available to me with both motors, I would still take the 115 and enjoy the benefits of that configuration.

I purchased the boat used, otherwise I would also have gone with a 115. The only issue I have with the 150 is the fact that with the boat in gear at idle the boat moves at 2.5kts. There is a lot of power there for this hull. It is nice to not overwork the engine while running, especially in less than ideal conditions.

All of you have been VERY VERY HELPFUL!!!. I just read the last 5 posts, after I ordered the boat today. I ordered the 1801 with the F150, Leaning post livewell, dual low bowrails and the bimini top. I am getting it with an aluminum 3100 LB bunk trailer with disk brakes. This will be my second trailer of this type and I have been very pleased with the first one. I have purchased it from Tri-State Marine in Chester, MD. It should arrive in about 4 weeks. There was an article in Chesapeake Bay Magazine about a 20 year old Parker 25' Sport Cabin. The article mentioned this website. Between the article about a 19 year old boat that has been used hard and the responses from all of you, I bought a Parker over a Maycraft that would have been 50% less, and I feel really god about it. Thanks to all of you!! :D

Congrats on your new 1801, you will love the boat. I too considered the Maycraft at about $10k less, could not do it. Just did not make me smile when I stepped off the boat. Good Luck!!

Congratulations Bubba. The folks at Tri-State are good folks.
I have my 2520 serviced, and winter stored at the shop in Deale.

Post a couple of photos when you take delivery.
We love boat photos. :)

Back