1800 console upgrades

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I keep kicking around the idea of upgrading my console so that I can flush mount my electronics and get a little more protection. Ideally, what I would like to do is to build a bolt on top for the existing console that would reuse the grab rail and windshield. This way, if or when I sell the boat or change my mind, I can easily bring it back to the original state. There are some fussy little things that I need to take into account like the taper of the existing console, but I wanted to start working out the kinks. To start, I will probably make the first one out of plywood and once I am satisfied, build a mold and lay up some fiberglass. Here are some photos of what I am considering. The face that would hold the electronics would be recessed between two "wings" on either side, hence the steering wheel vanishing into the console. Has anyone done a project like this or have any thoughts?
Many thanks,
Sam

Attachments

• Console before.jpg
    Console before.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 768
  • Console after.jpg
    Console after.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 768
Sam,

Not sure how you did the photoshop work but I like it.

I have the same boat, just a few years older and have considered making a similar modification. However, personally, I do not want to raise my windshield as I like looking over it and having a clear view of the water. So my thought was to build a similar electonics box in the area inside the windshield. This would provide all the electronic protection without needing to raise the windshield. Just my .02 - let us know if you move forward with the mod, I would like to see the finished product.

Best, Bill

Strick is one of my heros :)
When this project gets off the ground, it will be a glass in mold deal but with gelcoat instead of topcoat after the layup. I am still trying to figure out how I want to deal with the door(s) for the electronics protection. I would very much appreciate hearing from people who have console top electronics boxes and how they like their style of door (swing open / swing up). I am kicking around the idea of a rolltop but an engineering friend shot down my latest plan.

What if you flush mounted the instruments?
Then... just craft a Sunbrella cover for the helm when you're not running the boat.
Much simpler than trying to engineer doors.

Tad late jumping in here but FYI: I purchased my 1801 with the electronics enclosure so I'm pretty sure you can purchase one of these separately.

(Took windshield off for the summer.)

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 507
I saw that...Absolutely awesome! But that approach requires talent, time and cash. I prefer scraping up the latter as opposed to faking the first two.

Back