1801 or 1800 with 90 hp

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fogwarning

Reaction score
I have an 1800 with 115 yama 2 stroke... and now I'm considering a repower. I came across a deal on a new 90hp 4 stroke Yamaha with the 25" shaft I need. I am looking for performance numbers and opinions. Any trouble getting on plane? Water entering scuppers from the added weight? Overall top speed?? Regrets?

Let me know what you think please.

Bill

Well, I ordered a Honda 90 for my 1800. I guess I will be able to answer my own quetions soon enough. I have the current speed data for the Yamaha 115 2 stroke on it now and will be able to compare and contrast to the 90 Honda once it is installed and gets through the break in period. Will post back here once that is done if anyone else is interested.

Numbers are in.... FIRST things first; I had Hooked on the Bay (North East, Maryland)perform the install. They are a family owned and run marine sales and service business. Wayne, Felecia (owners) and Roger (lead mechanic) work hard to exceed customer expectations,,,,,, indeed they did. I just can't speak highly enough about them.

That said - performance numbers next. With the 115 2 stroke Yamaha, the boat performed well. Top speed yielded 43 mph (GPS) @ 6000 RPM. For the repower... I dropped down to the 90 hp Honda. The reason was one of weight.

When Parker changed from the 1800 to 1801 model, the driving force was to raise the floor for heavier 4 stroke engines. This allowed the scuppers to stay above the water line. The rise in gunnel height was only to keep the floor to top of gunnel height the same. Since I have the 1800 version, I was concerned about wet feet if the scuppers were submerged.

Plus I like to balance a boat to allow the stern to lift over a following sea. The old (lighter) set up did this well and I wanted to keep this sea kindly atttitude. Since I am very happy with the balance of the boat, I really did not want to add more weight on the stern. After more research, I found the 90 Honda to be almost identical in weight... I feared that it would be under powered though.

So how does it run? I am still in the break in period but the manual allowes for short burst of W.O.T., so with an honest 1 ft chop, I easily hit 37 mph (GPS measured) at 6200 RPM. From what I can tell so far, throttle response is as good, or better then, the 115 Yamaha 2 stroke engine... and with that - I am never looking back.

Best. Bill

Sounds like you have a winner Bill.
Congratulations on the re-power. 8)

Back