1801 owners and former owners PLEASE RESPOND

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryS

Reaction score
I posted earlier and got one response, I want to order soon and need input/advice. Can you operate the boat sitting down with the stock leaning post? Can you tend crab traps with a biminy top up? What options should I get right away? Are the stock electronics good enough? Ask me questions and/or give me ideas. I really appreciate any help you can give.

I posted earlier and got one response, I want to order soon and need input/advice. Can you operate the boat sitting down with the stock leaning post? Can you tend crab traps with a biminy top up? What options should I get right away? Are the stock electronics good enough? Ask me questions and/or give me ideas. I really appreciate any help you can give.
It’s really going to depend. There’s no set answer, because there’s tons of different setups and layouts. I’ll give you my perspective, from a 1700 which has about the same layout as an 1800/1801.

-I can sort of operate the boat while sitting on the leaning post, but I have to hunch forward. However, I positioned the leaning post, so it’s going to be different than anyone else’s boat. It’s also an aftermarket LP.

-You could probably tend traps from the bow, but I think overall a bimini would get in the way. Haven’t tried it, don’t have a bimini.

-Get a raw water washdown, hydraulic steering, and trim tabs. I would eliminate the forward casting platform; if you want to store crab traps, you’re gonna need the room. If you’re running trot lines it might be beneficial. Depends on how you use the boat.

-Go to West Marine and play with the different brands of electronics. The factory only offers Garmin, so if you dislike that or prefer something different, you’ll have to order the boat bare. Your dealer may be willing to install a different brand for you; otherwise, give me a call, I do electronics/electrical work in your area (shameless plug 😁).

It’s really going to depend. There’s no set answer, because there’s tons of different setups and layouts. I’ll give you my perspective, from a 1700 which has about the same layout as an 1800/1801.

-I can sort of operate the boat while sitting on the leaning post, but I have to hunch forward. However, I positioned the leaning post, so it’s going to be different than anyone else’s boat. It’s also an aftermarket LP.

-You could probably tend traps from the bow, but I think overall a bimini would get in the way. Haven’t tried it, don’t have a bimini.

-Get a raw water washdown, hydraulic steering, and trim tabs. I would eliminate the forward casting platform; if you want to store crab traps, you’re gonna need the room. If you’re running trot lines it might be beneficial. Depends on how you use the boat.

-Go to West Marine and play with the different brands of electronics. The factory only offers Garmin, so if you dislike that or prefer something different, you’ll have to order the boat bare. Your dealer may be willing to install a different brand for you; otherwise, give me a call, I do electronics/electrical work in your area (shameless plug 😁).
On your shameless plug: I would like to propose a 'Special Section/area' here on ClassicParker where you and the other ClassicParker professional members who offer boat-related services can post your information in a Special Section, and we can all benefit by having all the 'shameless plugs' in one easy-to-access place here on CP. Your posting in this 'Special Section' could tell us what services you offer; where you're located; contact information; what's your 'service area'; do you travel, or will you travel; if so, how far? etc)... You guys are the ones here on ClassicParker who offer the most amazing, helpful information. If you were located near me (and I knew it) I would have you doing all the work on my boats. We know of some of you because you are active members, and post often, but there are new members coming onboard all the time who won't know who you are, where you are, and what services you offer until they find out 'by accident' ..(Some off the top of my head include you, Pelagic2530, Warthog, Antidote, Mpellet?... I don't mean to miss anyone; I'm just going by quick memory here)... This 'special section' could include any ClassicParker member who is in business, full or part-time in the 'boat-services' business. (Mechanical/engine work. Fiberglass repair. Installations. Electrical installs/repairs. Boat Detailing/ wash/wax/compounding. Charter fishing. SCUBA Charters, Whatever!)..... I'm at the age, (and condition) where I'd happily pay pro's to do the work on the boat; (especially a CP member).. I'd even like to find someone local who offers a monthly washing; twice yearly waxing; engine maintenance; all of it!... And for all I know, there might be a ClassicParker member near me who's in 'the business', and I just don't know it... The 'Special Section' I'm proposing here of ClassicParker would be very helpful for me and I'll bet for a lot of others too...

Last edited:
So Mr Pelagic, since you're an electrical/electronics dude here's a few questions. I have read on here about BEP Cluster switch, is that a dealer thing or aftermarket? Is it really necessary? If I get the 1801 it would often be moored for extended periods at the dock where 110V is available, will the bilge pump run enough in a month to need the boat plugged in? If I later want a trolling motor on the bow is that hard to run the wires, meaning can you do that? I plan on going to the OC boat show and talk to the Cedar Creek people about the boat. Untill I went to the Timonium show I was strongly thinking about a BW 170 Montauk then I saw the 1801 Parker and you all know how a mans eyes can wander.

So Mr Pelagic, since you're an electrical/electronics dude here's a few questions. I have read on here about BEP Cluster switch, is that a dealer thing or aftermarket? Is it really necessary? If I get the 1801 it would often be moored for extended periods at the dock where 110V is available, will the bilge pump run enough in a month to need the boat plugged in? If I later want a trolling motor on the bow is that hard to run the wires, meaning can you do that? I plan on going to the OC boat show and talk to the Cedar Creek people about the boat. Untill I went to the Timonium show I was strongly thinking about a BW 170 Montauk then I saw the 1801 Parker and you all know how a mans eyes can wander.
BEP switch is aftermarket, since electrical distribution is a factory install. I doubt the dealer will be willing to change that. Regardless, it’s an easy upgrade.

Your bilge pump really shouldn’t be running much at all, if it is there’s an issue that needs to be addressed. Regardless, a battery charger is a good idea, as it will allow you to keep your batteries fully charged, which will prolong their service life. Keeping them plugged in all the time is probably not necessary, but ensuring they get fully charged as often as possible will help a lot.

Wiring for a TM can be done at a later date. I don’t think they even offer it from the factory, and if they do I’d be suspicious of the quality of the installation.

The 1801 is going to be a much more capable boat than the 170 Whaler, and doesn’t come with paying for the Whaler name. I was pretty unimpressed with the Whalers at the VB Boat Show this last weekend.

Gary S,
The trolling motor is a pretty easy add. I HIGHLY recommend that you put the batteries in the center console, NOT the small aft lockers. Much better for your CG. And before you decide exactly how you want it mounted, consider whether your boat naturally runs with a port list or a starboard list. I fish by myself, and I stand on the port side. My installer put the batteries back aft on the port side, and the trolling motor on the port side. I eventually moved the batteries to the center console.

Call me if you would like. I have had 2 - 1801s for over 15 years. I would be glad to share in detail my experiences and send you direct photos. Greg 8604247762

Call me if you would like. I have had 2 - 1801s for over 15 years. I would be glad to share in detail my experiences and send you direct photos. Greg 8604247762
Hey Gary, What boat did you end up buying? Hope you are well.

If you put a trolling motor on & you ever plan to run at night, you’ll want to look at different running lights. I used the Taco marine surface mount LED lights & they work great!

Back