1990 18' good for Buzzard's Bay?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

Reaction score
There's a boat here on the Cape that may be coming up for sale.
I don't know the specifics, but I know its an 18', and is a 1990 or 1989. Its got a beat old 2S yamaha on it now, but my boss might buy it and swap on a 115 Yammie that we know about.
So... This would be a boat for use in the Buzzard's Bay area of MA. Buzzard's is well-known for a afternoon sou'wester that turns the entire bay into 3-4' short chop. The previous boat we had was a CHawk 22' Cuddy which pounded unbelievably badly and was a very wet boat. We're looking to replace that with a smaller CC that would be better in the rocks, and be able to handle the seas better. No need for a cabin or offshore-ability, the 2520 will handle that.

I'm also looking at an older '87 Seaway, but it probably needs some work on the decks, which usually leads to the stringers and lord knows what else.

So, any thoughts/suggestions/information about the 18'?

Thanks.

try for deep V or at least a bow that will cut a little. Anything under about a 18* dead rise and pound pound pound all the way home in Buz Bay.
maybe try for an older re con engine to replace the orig. if it's beat in that it seems this will be your close to shore "rock" boat to save some bucks.

You got to love that afternoon SW Wind. Especially going around Wings Neck. Yes, the 1801 will pound in the 3 to 4 foot chop. I think any boat 18 and under will on plane regardless of deadrise. You just have to slow down.

As far as the 1801, I have had mine for six seasons and love it. I launched my boat last weekend and will trailer it until my mooring is ready. Let me know if you would like to go for a test drive is some wind.

parkerjon":16dgtfcd said:
You got to love that afternoon SW Wind. Especially going around Wings Neck. Yes, the 1801 will pound in the 3 to 4 foot chop. I think any boat 18 and under will on plane regardless of deadrise. You just have to slow down.

As far as the 1801, I have had mine for six seasons and love it. I launched my boat last weekend and will trailer it until my mooring is ready. Let me know if you would like to go for a test drive is some wind.
That'd be awesome. My boss is the one buying, so I'll let him know. Where are you located?

Sparky,

I just left you a PM. Give me a call and we'll drop her in at Mo Beach and go for a ride.

Does anyone know what would be different between the new 1801's and this old hull? I know that early parkers had some exposed plywood inside the PH's and don't know the history well enough to compare that to an 18' hull. Any ideas on the deadrise on those old hulls?

sparky":9v7jb5gv said:
Does anyone know what would be different between the new 1801's and this old hull? I know that early parkers had some exposed plywood inside the PH's and don't know the history well enough to compare that to an 18' hull. Any ideas on the deadrise on those old hulls?

The old hulls have a deeper, and maybe wider, cutout in the transom. A wake on the stern side will sometimes come over the transom and wet your shoes!

Nice boat, but it rides rather rough in choppy seas. Has a wide beam, so its very roomy. I have the '90 model.

Back