1995 Parker 2530 Project “Retro Check”

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 3 - Sanding and first coat of epoxy mixed with 410 microlight to begin the fairing process.
5846fc7802a56c045dca995adb88f304.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 4. More sanding it’s looking more like a roof again. Tomorrow I’m hoping to get the glass put down. I have 1808 since that’s what the local boat yard carried.
6d9d37502c982a55778f1cf4cd27d4ee.jpg

I did put down a small section on fiberglass where I replaced the wood under the grab rail as a test spot to make sure I’m doing it right before trying the big piece.

3ba2fc05e90c6a77b75a64fa25c42ce7.jpg

Brent":2i7f4jty said:
Nice work. Do you need cloth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 1808.

Day 5. 1808 Fiberglass wet out and in place.

22b17ac22aab6312c8d94160afde1192.jpg

With that kind of repair fiberglass is necessary. It ties in the whole repair and gives it the needed strength.

Brent":1d83fid5 said:
Thanks. Sorry I meant do you need to use cloth?

. Do you plan to gel coat the entire roof?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you have to use some type of fiberglass for strength, I have no idea. This is my first large repair. So I'm going with what I read online and what others are telling me.

I would like to have gel coated the roof but I used West Systems Epoxy as opposed to a Poly Resin. Some say they aren't compatible, but a few have had success, its all about the prep. With that said, I'll be priming and painting just because its faster. Plus its MUCH cheaper.

Spent a few hours today working on the roof, more fairing and sanding. Getting close to prime and paint.
860e1988b4090e7c711907ccc31d6621.jpg

Your progress looks great. Tackling the balsa wood repair on the cabin roof was a large project and it looks like you've done a fine/great job so far.

Paint vs. Gelcoat: Since you (wisely) used epoxy, there is very little chance that you'd ever get gelcoat to properly dry/cure over the epoxy. I know that some people say that it can happen. I've tried several times using different washing/sanding methods each time. I've never been able to get gelcoat to cure when applied over epoxy. Heck, sometimes it's hard to get gelcoat to cure when applied over polyester resin. Gelcoat is a difficult animal.

Paint is a much better solution in this case. I assume that you will paint the entire roof and not just the repair area?

GoodChance":hga1hs88 said:
Your progress looks great. Tackling the balsa wood repair on the cabin roof was a large project and it looks like you've done a fine/great job so far.

Paint vs. Gelcoat: Since you (wisely) used epoxy, there is very little chance that you'd ever get gelcoat to properly dry/cure over the epoxy. I know that some people say that it can happen. I've tried several times using different washing/sanding methods each time. I've never been able to get gelcoat to cure when applied over epoxy. Heck, sometimes it's hard to get gelcoat to cure when applied over polyester resin. Gelcoat is a difficult animal.

Paint is a much better solution in this case. I assume that you will paint the entire roof and not just the repair area?

Yes i plan on painting the whole roof. I have Pettit Ezprime and Rustoleum Oyster White Paint.

Finally making progress after a break for a few days. The weather hasn’t exactly cooperated with me for this roof repair project.

Finally finished the fairing and sanding.

3cdf25e2ab4db625c75c31a48406228e.jpg

Applied a coat of Pettit Ezprime. I’m going to see what it looks like in a few hours to see if it needs a second coat. After this it’ll be paint time.

8a3d0f16db6408a6a41a8bb636ce7ee0.jpg

Applied the first coat of the Rustoleum Marine Top Coat Oyster White. If the weather cooperates tomorrow I hope to get a second coat and the non skid finished.

e69b7f6959228149aecacfa2c39ae4f8.jpg

Latest posts

Back