1996 2320 DV sits low in water at stern..move fuel tank?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaginCajun

Reaction score
My 1996 2320 DV notched transom seems to sit rather low at the stern. So much so that water carries over the rear splash plate when loaded down, but thankfully I have a good splash guard that mostly keeps water off the back deck.

The previous owner told me that in addition to suggesting a larger motor to the 200 hp Johnson Oceanrunner that he suggested moving the fuel tank forward.

My question is: does anyone else have a similar problem with this model boat and if so what have or could be done about it? I use the boat for diving so it's inevitable that the back deck will be loaded down with 4+ divers, 10 tanks, a large cooler and 4 grown men....in addition to all the fish we kill (hahaha).

This doesn't sound like a trivial modification so I'm keen to hear what's been done by others.

Thanks in advance for the guidance & opinions.

I agree that data backs up my assumptions but even with just a full tank of fuel and no gear she sags in the rear so much so that water comes up over the transom/splash well in the rear.

Here's a pic. When at rest in moderate seas the swim platform is often under water and with what I consider reasonable load, water will often wash right over the rear of the transom. This just doesn't seem quite right to me and I'm wondering if I have the wrong boat for my application, if something is wrong or if it's worth modifying. I'm also beginning to wonder if that's the reason for the jack plate.

I read somewhere on this forum where a guy added some "floatation" to the rear of his boat but I can't load the photos. What do you think about adding some kind of floatation?

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 426
Is that a 25" motor on a setback jackplate?

If so, you might be short about 5" on that transom..(aka 'someone' cut that transom down 5")..... which is why you are having so much water come over. Maybe previous owner(s) ran twin motors on vessel??

Might want to check transom weight with that motor + kicker versus Parker max stern weight.....

Also might want to check the weight of the boat on the scales to see how "water logged" it might be when compared to parker build numbers.

I see both of these a lot on older Boston Whalers...

ShadBurke":bxtqzhxc said:
Is that a 25" motor on a setback jackplate?

If so, you might be short about 5" on that transom..(aka 'someone' cut that transom down 5")..... which is why you are having so much water come over. Maybe previous owner(s) ran twin motors on vessel??

Might want to check transom weight with that motor + kicker versus Parker max stern weight.....

Also might want to check the weight of the boat on the scales to see how "water logged" it might be when compared to parker build numbers.

I see both of these a lot on older Boston Whalers...

Good points:

-- I don't think that the transom was ever modified or the previous owner ran twins. The story I got was that the original engine crapped out or was swapped out due to being under powered before 1999 and they went with the existing 200 HP plus the 9 hp kicker

-- I'll look into transom weight allowances

-- Being water logged does concern me, but to my knowledge the boat has never been wet slipped and always trailered. Next time I trailer it I'll drive it across a highway truck scale for some rough numbers

The nagging question I'm still struggling with is that will this boat ever do what I want/need it to do or will she always be stern heavy. I have a line on a decade newer 2520 XL, but that brings into question the merits of a DV vs modified hull, sea state & ride quality etc. Oh and the newer boat is easily $25-30k more

Your boat is sharp! I really come to appreciate the open back

wow, that notch is low!

m2cw with the notch so low and a narrow beam ,and carrying a heavy load, maybe you do need a larger boat.
You should be able to sell yours for a good price

You could move batteries forward ( or temporary remove) and remove the kicker and it might help some, at least know how much it increases the height

Even adding a full transom bracket with extra flotation and filling in the notch would be very expensive, and dont know if the existing transom is thick enough for a bracket

What is the weight limit from the data tag? THis would be good to know I thought it was around 1300 lbs

How does your boat compare to this 1996 2320 with 25" Yamaha 200hp two stroke?

Compare bottom paint waterline (at top of trim tab actuators) vs your boat......????

Hope that helps. Picture came from a current boat ad listed on boattrader.

Attachments

• parker_help.jpg
    parker_help.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 400
That jack plate isn't helping your situation. Even though its only moving the engine back a little it will still change the weight distribution and cause the boat to sit lower in the back. I'm not sure on the correct wording maybe I think it has a cantilever effect. You would be better off raising the current transom to the correct height for the motor. Or if you're going to do that work you might as well close the transom and add a flotation bracket.

Back