20' Sou Wester Project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shag

Reaction score
Just posted in the newbie section. I recently inherited a 1981 20' Sou Wester. It is the #8 hull. It has a 1990 110 Johnson on it but I am probably going to re-power. I found a 90 hp 4 stroke and Parker told me that it should be plenty as long as I didn't want a "go fast" boat. I've been advised to get rid of the well and mount the motor on the stern and I am torn on what to do. Apparently the change would cost around $1,000. The boat also has a Parker console for a larger boat so I am going to get rid of it and put a simple console in it. Will put a leaning post in with a cooler under it and use a cooler for the front seat. Also planning on moving gas tank and battery to console.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a bad pic.

shag-albums-shags-pics-picture56984-mvc-008s.jpg

Pretty cool, what is the history behind that thing??

Is that one of Linwood's first designs? Maybe Boatgirl can fill us in.

Nice project, keep postin' pictures. 8) 8) 8)

It's the #8 hull he made behind his house on Cape Lookout Rd on Harkers Island. My father bought it new for about $3K in 1981.

I love that style. From the picture, it looks like the engine sits forward of the transom. I'd llike to see what the present well and engine setup looks like.

Here's one from the side. The boat is 300 miles away but I think I might be able to find an interior pic somewhere.

souwester.jpg

Here's one on the inside where I tore out a couple fiberglass boxes that had been put in it.
My main delima is that the well isn't really practical but it's original.

souwester2MediumMedium.jpg

Wow very interesting!!!!! Definitely got a classic there!! looking forward to more pics!!!!

Bryan 2530":3lxrtti5 said:
A true "Classic Parker". :!: :!: :!:

Absolutely!

I've seen boats with motors mounted in a well like that before, but this is the first Sou'wester I've seen like that.
Would love to know a bit more of the history of that design.

I would put a bracket on the transom, install the new 4 strk. You could raise the sides of the motorwell add a cushion top. You could then cover the open of the well with s/s 1/4 mesh and have a live well jm2 cents

Back