2003 mercury 225 2 stroke optimax LOW hours bought year end

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigShow

Reaction score
I bought a used parker with the above engine boat was repowered in 2004 with the mercury 5 year warrenty the boat sat for 2 years before i purchased. My warrenty was out Nov of 2009, Of course i have a problem this year. I started the year motor ran GREAT and strong. It sat for about 2.5 weeks thill i got down there today, I went to start it up and it idled REAL ROGH almost till stall (which it did do later). I rved it in neutral to about 2000 rpm and it was a real strain on the motor. it sounded as it was miss firing. ( it is a 6 cylander) I got the mechanic from my marina who does my winterizing dewinterizing etc) they tell me a week before they can look at it. after a long debate he comes and looks, this is where it gets over my head) hooks everything up electronically and tells me after a self diagnostic it is throwing no codes and according to computer it is running fine. he does other checks and comes to the conclussion that it is a clogged gas nozzle in cylander 2 and 3 causing the problem, they want to ship it out to get cleaned. my question is does this sound legit? It ran beautiful 2 and a half weeks ago, how can something clog so fast with no gradual loss of power? i think it is something electronic? any thoughts I kmnow most here are running yammies but i only have about 300 hours on the motor with me putting about 200 on it in the year and a half i owned it

ALSO was told air and fuel pressure should be 90 air 80 fuel and i was 80 air -70 fuel

Hard to diagnose over the 'net, but with the information you have given, it sounds like a fuel issue.

Bad fuel
Clogged injectors
Clogged VST
Clogged 10 micron filter
Debris in the pickup tube

There are a number of areas I've not touched on that could be problematic, but they would all be fuel related according to what you are telling us.

the mechanic was leaning toward clogged injectors too. but i was keptical since it ran great so recently would it clog so easy just on the next trip out? and thank you

I have a 225 Merc EFI. I have to be very carefull putting the motor cover on or I dislodge one or more of the ignition coil input wires. Symptoms sound the same as you are having. Woth a look.

That was about all i was able to check unbelievable how far advanced everything is, couldn't even get near a distributor cap or the current equivelnat of one. mechanic is saying clogged air and fuel injectors

Latest posts

Back