2005 yamaha 200hp HPDI fuel problem?, please help.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith

Reaction score
i have 61 hrs on my engine and when i push the throttle past 4100 rpms it dies,it starts fine but does not run well,then rpms keep going down until it wants to stall. i have heard about problems with the ethenol in the fuel clogging the strainer or filter in the VST tank. does anyone know if this is an easy fix? will i have to take it apart to clean this every season or is there a cure for this problem? how do i depressurize the system and what kind of solvent is used to clean the filter? i replaced the fuel/water seperator filter and checked the fuel filter on the engine. any info is appreciated. thank you.

Get a six gallon portable tank and run the engine on it. If the engine runs OK on the portable then the problem is in the tank or fuel delivery system.
If you have the same symptoms then its an engine problem....I would suspect the fuel pumps.

VST ... do a search for that term and posts by TomS, he's the Yummie expert here!

Just got my boat back in the water. Be careful if it is the filter and it clogs enough, it will burn the pump out. This is what I was told by the dealer with my boat. I thought the Boat was losing power like you described one night. Next day the boat would not start. I guess I was lucky Yamaha covered it because the dealer had a little battle with them. On the 2006 F250 the pump cost about $2000. The dealers advice to prevent it from happening again, don't use ethanol! I'm starting to keep only a couple of weeks worth of fuel on board, and looking into stabilizers. I'm thinking of selling the boat and trying GOLF!

Are y'all using the Yamaha 10 micron (big blue) fuel filter?

the vst filter is about 2 microns, so that 10 micron still lets particles thru that clog the vst. Just slows it done a tad.

i changed my fuel/water filter to the 10 micron blue yamaha,i also took my VST apart and cleaned the strainer on the bottom(ran under warm water and blew compressed air through it) this worked well. also removed the fuel filter on the side of outboard,checked and dried it. then i replaced the metal fuel filter after the VST . all this took under an hour to do and solved my problem. im told if the boat is not used frequently i will have to do this about once a year. unfortunately all fuel in my area has ethenol in it now. boat runs great now.thanks again for all your comments. keith

Back