2011 Parker 2320 Garmin 740S Depth/Fish finder not working

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hali-Bootie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, took the new (to me) Parker out today on first maiden voyage and it didn't go well. Dropped in a lake to water test and engine overheat alarm came on. Had to drop anchor several times for engine to cool. Luckily my friend was out on his little 14 ft v-hull and he towed me back to shore. Anyway, so while messing around waiting for engine to cool i was playing around with fish finder and couldn't seem to be able to get any bottom readings. Depth or Structure. So is there any way to troubleshoot for a bad transducer? it is a in hull transducer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, took the new (to me) Parker out today on first maiden voyage and it didn't go well. Dropped in a lake to water test and engine overheat alarm came on. Had to drop anchor several times for engine to cool. Luckily my friend was out on his little 14 ft v-hull and he towed me back to shore. Anyway, so while messing around waiting for engine to cool i was playing around with fish finder and couldn't seem to be able to get any bottom readings. Depth or Structure. So is there any way to troubleshoot for a bad transducer? it is a in hull transducer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Almost certainly a water pump issue on the overheating, especially if it sat for awhile.

If it’s an Airmar transducer (likely, since it’s an in hull) if you find an Airmar Certified Installer in your area they should be able to test it. Before you do that though, check all your connections at the unit, and trace the transducer cable to make sure it hasn’t been damaged or cut anywhere.

What exactly is the unit doing (or not doing)?

Almost certainly a water pump issue on the overheating, especially if it sat for awhile.

If it’s an Airmar transducer (likely, since it’s an in hull) if you find an Airmar Certified Installer in your area they should be able to test it. Before you do that though, check all your connections at the unit, and trace the transducer cable to make sure it hasn’t been damaged or cut anywhere.

What exactly is the unit doing (or not doing)?

The unit powers up fine. Set to sonar only. Set to auto for everything. No zoom on. no bottom lock on. No range selected etc. while powered up went to listen or feeling for audible ticking at transducer. Nothing at all. Couldn’t hear or feel anything. Previous owner(not that I believe) ass as I’d it worked fine last year. He also told me water pump was changed last fall

Directly from the Hull Truth

"thru-hull vs in-hull transducers

Looking for pro's and con's of these two methods. I just installed a Garmin 3006C. I am adding a GSD20 sounder box and need to pick a transducer. I really don't want to drill another hole in the boat so I am hoping to use a shoot thru type transducer. I know the technology has advanced in the last few years, but I am looking for any advise on type, installation, etc... All input welcome. ;?"

SAMR: you are an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe you should check your muffler bearing in your front high compressor turbocharger and maybe you will find what is wrong with your head

Looking for pro's and con's of these two methods. I just installed a Garmin 3006C. I am adding a GSD20 sounder box and need to pick a transducer. I really don't want to drill another hole in the boat so I am hoping to use a shoot thru type transducer. I know the technology has advanced in the last few years, but I am looking for any advise on type, installation, etc... All input welcome. ;?"

SAMR: you are an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe you should check your muffler bearing in your front high compressor turbocharger and maybe you will find what is wrong with your head

Well that went from 0-60 pretty quickly. Especially given the fact that @SamR is absolutely correct.

You’ve provided absolutely no information on the system components you’re trying to troubleshoot, have used vague and generic terms to describe equipment where the specific configuration makes a big difference, and are now verbally abusing other members who are giving you correct and helpful advice.

Hope this works out real well for you. I’d advise hiring a professional.

Last edited:
I earned thirteen exclamation points without even dipping into my sarcasm? What a great way to start the day. You might want to check for fuel leaks if you are in the bilge anyway.

Definition of a Masshole.

Back