21 Pilothouse vs. 23 Pilothouse

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachbob531

Reaction score
What a good site this is! Could someone tell me if there is a great deal of difference between the seaworthiness of the 2120 pilothouse and the 23 footer? The cabin dimensions are identical and the additional space behind the cabin doesn't really matter to me. Given that, I guess my real question is whether the gain in the sea keeping ability of the 23 is worth the $12,000 or so difference in the new cost of the two boats? I sold my Southport 26CC with twin 250 Verados on it because I couldn't afford to put gas in it (and would have been dead long before the loan was paid off). It was a wonderful boat but realistically way out of my league. I took a real bath when I sold it and need to make a more rational decision this time so my greatly diminished savings don't become a negative number! My dream is to explore the entire Chesapeake Bay a few weeks at a time. Thanks for your help.

Ask anyone who has done the "two foot tango" if their larger boat rides better than their previous boat, and I believe that most would say yes. Is that 2 feet work an extra $12k? I think that is something that only you can answer after comparing the specifications of both models.
http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boat_lineup/index.jsp

Now then, will the 2320 with a 200 or 225 single get better economy than your previous Southport? Absolutely! Will a 2120 with a 150 or a 200 get better economy than the 2320? Yes, but exactly how much better can only be answered by owners of both, so hopefully they will chime in here and let you know.

Both the 2120 and the 2320 have 21 degree DV hulls, so they will both be very seaworthy boats in Chesapeake Bay chop. How much better that extra 2' and it's associated weight will be, is really something that only you can answer after riding in both.

There is no perfect boat for all conditions, but Parker SC's come pretty close! :)
Good luck in your search.

I went with a 2120 in May 07. The cost for the 23 was out of reach for me.In my opinion it was not worth the extra money for my boating uses.I fish the lower bay from Nassawadox to Cape Charles Va.haven't tried the CBBT,yet.The boat is great,nice ride even in choppy waters,the Yami 150 sipppps the gas.We plan to cruise the bay & try a trip down the ICW. The Linda Lou is a Great boat we Love boating and fishing in her.

I would feel safe in either on the Chesapeake.. With that said, the 21 would be easier to handle by yourself trailering but the 23 will offer a lot more deck space for fish boxes, livewells etc. Being that you fish the Chesapeake, I dont think the difference in fuel burn is a big deal $$. How far does an average bay fisherman run to fish?? a long run is 20 miles to me.. Any further and I will trailer to a closer location.

If I were you since you are looking to save money, Look in the used section here. There are always some decent deals that pop up. Just be ready to move quick as Parkers are boat with demand.

If I were to move down in size because I enjoy trailering to other locations, the 2120 would be my first choice in a boat.

I own the 2120 SC and love it. I think that I couldn't have gone wrong either way. The 2120 was the right model for me but I see the advantage to the 2320.

Having owned both, I can tell you the 2320 has a much greater size advantage than you would expect from just two feet. It's a much biggger boat. But the 2120 rides and handles better. The 2320 beats you up badly running into 2-3 foot chop. They're both great boats.

One very important thing no one said , is the 23 has a full transom and the 21 only comes notched. I have the 21 and my neighbor the 23 . You can really tell the difference when it gets rough. Chose the 23 and have more room for your fish without coolers everywhere in the boat. Just my 2 cents

Fore the bay you will have all you need with the 2120 to catch all the species available in all reasonable conditions.

A question only you might know is: Will I want the boat to do more once I have it and see how great it is?

For example: When I started my search in 2004 I decided the 2120 would be all I would need. then I realized the 2320 would be more space, and from what lots of people were saying... I might have twofootitis in a year or more. As I looked at the 2320 and looked at my pocketbook I relaized I could afford a 2520... so I went with the 2520! Shortly after I had it and made my first offshore run ever.. and caught a bluefin tuna at the 26 mile hill (my father did the "catching" and he doesn't fish) on that first ever trip out..... I was hooked on offshore fishing. Little did I know that would have happened. Now on those days when I run out to Norfolk canyon with 3 or 4 others on board I'm glad I have the 2520..... the 2120 could do it.. the 2520 does it better for me.

I support your decision to go with the 2120 for the bay. Stretching the buget could take the fun out of it esp. with the rising cost of gas.

in the long island sound my 2120 is a sherman tank when i bring someone new on my boat they cannot believe its only a 21 foot boat
i have been heading into 7 foot swells with the wipers on and making head way-i still cant believe how good this boat is..

dave

If you are planning to take a few guys with you while fishing and adding a live well you should consider the 23...

If possible take a sea trial at your local dealer. I know the dealer here in So Cal has both in the water.

Back