21 SE difficult to get on plane

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are you riding around with a a Full tank of gas....Your hauling a BUNCH of weight.

80gal of fuel weighs aprox 500lbs. A 150 is on the weak side for power on a 21ft boat.

A lot depends on operator also. Tuck that motor in.....Hit the throttle....How are you hitting the throttle?
A 150 your gonna have to pretty much nail it....You can't pussyfoot around with it.
Then as the boat comes up.....Start trimming it up some.

Thanks to all for the advice - as suggested, I've been a little too tentative on the throttle. Just needed to be a little more aggressive with the throttle - don't need to nail it though - just a little more aggressive. And don't need my trim tabs to get on plane and prop is fine for now.

Coming from a sailing background for previous 30+ years, taking me a little time to adjust to the new boat. If we were doing 7 knots in our sailboat that was fast for us.

But think i have it worked out now - consistently getting on plane no problem, a lot more enjoyable - just like a sailboat, takes practice and skill.

Thanks!

I’ve owned my 21se since I bought it new in 2006. It has the 150 as well and has zero problems getting on plane.
buy a basic aluminum 15 prop and your hole shot will go thru the roof I’m talking major difference!!!!
Your top speed will touch 40 mph.
trust me I’ve had both and the 17 prop wants to hunt and go on and off plane the 15 stays put and will troll better as well as plane way better.
everyone has an opinion on stainless or aluminum but I prefer aluminum it’s way lighter andhas less resistance and cost about $150. D3474025-0881-4570-8C5E-6B42BE8C99A1.jpeg29AD9EFF-CC3A-4EBC-B9AB-243E92E8567C.jpeg03848979-C6EB-449A-9429-00220A68DA62.jpeg6C60C556-A8DD-45F1-92A3-2DF5AACA2643.jpeg5CB6F4BD-FF00-4EC5-810A-C14220C41816.jpeg

I’ve owned my 21se since I bought it new in 2006. It has the 150 as well and has zero problems getting on plane.
buy a basic aluminum 15 prop and your hole shot will go thru the roof I’m talking major difference!!!!
Your top speed will touch 40 mph.
trust me I’ve had both and the 17 prop wants to hunt and go on and off plane the 15 stays put and will troll better as well as plane way better.
everyone has an opinion on stainless or aluminum but I prefer aluminum it’s way lighter andhas less resistance and cost about $150. View attachment 25556View attachment 25557View attachment 25558View attachment 25559View attachment 25560

Hey blobby, are you running an aluminum 15x15? I have an 04 with an 05 f150 with the stock prop and am looking to re-prop with aluminum for the time being. I've read 15x15 but want to confirm before I order up

Also, that bait station is sick!!!

I like aluminum because Ive hit crap in the water and it bends the prop not the lower unit.
And they are cheap and light

Thanks Blubby - I will give it a shot - added plus about trolling and hitting crap - makes sense. Any suggestions for a good on line prop store where I can order one? There's a prop place by me but he just does repairs.

And nice boat! I like the T-Top, I'm looking to add one this fall.

Another great reason to go with an aluminum problem is that the load on your lower unit is much less when you go into forward or reverse. The stainless steel props are so heavy that in order to get them to start spinning when you put it in gear it puts way more load on the lower unit.

Another great reason to go with an aluminum problem is that the load on your lower unit is much less when you go into forward or reverse. The stainless steel props are so heavy that in order to get them to start spinning when you put it in gear it puts way more load on the lower unit.
Thanks Leohayday - that also makes sense. I'm sold, now I just need to track one down.

So what are the advantages of an SS over aluminum? Durability?

So today was one of my splurge days for the boat. Ordered a bunch of new stuff....but the prop is what I'm most excited to try out. Yamaha doesnt make a 15x15 aluminum prop, but solas does. I couldnt even find a quick silver 15x15 in our mesco or Kellog catalogs. Luckily we are a yamaha dealer where I work, so the closest thing yamaha had was 15 1/4"x 15 in aluminum, so that's what I ordered (cost me 142 plus shipping, which is what the price a solas/hub or quicksilver plus hub would have cost me). While searching the parts room I saw a 14.5x15 stainless prop I might give a test try if I dont get the rpms I want.

I can tell the engine could be raised one or maybe even 2 holes just by looking at the cavitation plate.

I wasnt sure what the actual gains were from stainless, so I asked my boss and he told me aluminum props flex. I told him I could understand this with high horsepower engines but I'm running a 150 and he agreed.

So today was one of my splurge days for the boat. Ordered a bunch of new stuff....but the prop is what I'm most excited to try out. Yamaha doesnt make a 15x15 aluminum prop, but solas does. I couldnt even find a quick silver 15x15 in our mesco or Kellog catalogs. Luckily we are a yamaha dealer where I work, so the closest thing yamaha had was 15 1/4"x 15 in aluminum, so that's what I ordered (cost me 142 plus shipping, which is what the price a solas/hub or quicksilver plus hub would have cost me). While searching the parts room I saw a 14.5x15 stainless prop I might give a test try if I dont get the rpms I want.

I can tell the engine could be raised one or maybe even 2 holes just by looking at the cavitation plate.

I wasnt sure what the actual gains were from stainless, so I asked my boss and he told me aluminum props flex. I told him I could understand this with high horsepower engines but I'm running a 150 and he agreed.

Thanks Gsully - I saw one on boats.net for about $200, worth a try. Anything I need to watch out for? Currently have 17P x 14 1/4 which I think comes standard with the boat. New to this subject. Would new prop also help plane at a lower speed / rpm? Not looking for high end speed.

Thanks Gsully - I saw one on boats.net for about $200, worth a try. Anything I need to watch out for? Currently have 17P x 14 1/4 which I think comes standard with the boat. New to this subject. Would new prop also help plane at a lower speed / rpm? Not looking for high end speed.

So today was my first day out with the new prop. I turned 5600 rpm with 2/3 a tank of fuel and topped out at 38.6 with the fuel and bottom paint. Not to sure what my top speed was before because I had a much older furuno gps last weekened and this week I installed a new garming 942xs. The furuno said somewhere around 37-38 mph though. Deffinitely gave me a little more umphh when needed. As for planning, I never really had an issue with my old prop. One thing I can say though is it deffinitely drinks more fuel now and raised the cruising rpm to about 4200rpm and 28-29mph.

Attachments

• 20200725_133754.jpg
    20200725_133754.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
Back