21 Sport Cabin Questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackC

Reaction score
Fast questions - I visit this site from time to time. I'm trying to settle on what I consider my "last boat" - long time Long Island Sound fisherman. Turned 50 this year which influences your life view - what is unique for me is that I have fished with "dad"since I could walk and still fish with him (he turned 73 this year).

I've been a long time center counsle fan but see the value of the sport cabin - especially since dad can enjoy his senior years with additional comfort in a nice sport cabin.

I have also visted "Ranger Tim's" website which is quite discriptive about the sport cabin.

While the 23 looks great it is more boat than I need - so the 21 looks ideal. My major concern is the cut out stern on the 21. All my boats have had the cut out stern - I have not had huge problems with them but fishing rips (bass in the northeast) - I have had some "issues" with the boat taking enough water to make me a bit upset (never really a serious issue but it does make my level of anxiety rise). Comments on any issues with taking water over the stern (at anchor or difting through rips) would be appreciated. THIS IS MY BIGGEST ISSUE WITH THIS BOAT (and hopefully not a problem).

Comments on anchoring without a windlass are also appreciated.

I've promised myself my next boat will have a full stern but maybe not.

Thanks - Jack

What about ordering a boat with a higher notch and longer shaft length on the motor. Has anyone heard of Parker doing that, or does the current setup already have the longer shaft?

Just an idea.

jim

This is actually something that has been discussed quite a bit here...

In all of those discussions, I do not recall where a notched transom on a 2120 has ever been a concern to an owner here on this forum, but you could verify that by utilizing the search feature.

So long as you anchor from the bow, rather than from the stern, you should be golden.

As I do not own a notched transom, I will let those who do own one weigh in on this and post their observations. :wink:

I have a 21SC and it is my retirement boat. I fish the Chesapeake Bay and the wrecks of Virginia. The notched transom has never been an issue. I love the boat. But with football I miss the late summer and fall.

I have an 07 2120 and right now I'm putting it to the test fishing the white water.Do not have any fears of the notched transom,no problem at all.I have even taken a couple smaller rollers an added a couple inches of water and so far everything has been fine.

Thanks for the observations on the 21. Any overall comments on the boat and engine are also appreciated. I think a 150 is enough power for me (fuel prices are going to be interesting next year). Ranger Tim does a great job discussing this but just want some additional feedback.

If anyone has any dealing with Boats Inc. in CT I would also be interested in those comments. Comments on Boats Inc. are basically great service but high priced.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Jack

The best thing to do when worrying about this is the one thing most folks don't like to hear: Ride in one and find out for yourself! If you come down here to Va I will take you out in mine. I get an excuse to go fishing and you get your info. No charges, No problem.

The 2120 is a compromise boat (aren't they all?). If I had it to do all over again I might end up with the 2320 - but then again maybe not. I go back and forth, second guessing my choice often. What it came down to was $$, towing ease, ease of loading and fuel economy. I am still envious of the 2320 because of the full transom, better ride and larger fishing area. You are going through the same decision crisis apparently.

When I was in the throes of this choice I attached a lot of importance to the notch vs. full transom debate. After four years of running the 2120, in many a 3' plus sea state, I can safely say I never felt significantly threatened by the notch. I would love to have a full transom in order to have the swim platform, additional rod mounts and the extra storage. Danger with swamping from a wave taken over the transom would not be high on my list.

Keep in mind that my decisions are based on my experiences which are directly related to how I use my Parker. I do traverse the rips at the Ches. Bay Bridge Tunnel, but I do not anchor stern-to in any circumstances. This goes against the instincts I have developed over the course of my boating life. I have had following waves occasionally give me pause but the boat has always bobbed up and over these with no ill effects. I am ever on the lookout for rogue waves when in shipping lanes or open seas but I believe these are a threat to any small boat. I do not take my boat more than five miles offshore without another motor and I do not go out in bad weather. The bay offers an infinite number of sheltered coves to weather passing storms and I have taken advantage of them countless times. This has a direct impact on my acceptance of notched transoms, I'm sure.

Do you need to back down on large tuna or other fish? Pull traps against the current? This is not the boat for you then.

This is a hot topic of conversation on boating forums and will continue to be so. I will be labeled a fool by some, but having a full transom may make a boat safer in some applications but is by no means a guarantee you will not take a wave over the transom, resulting in a swamping. I consider the safety margin of my current notch more than adequate for the boating I participate in. There are other obvious issues in this debate, but safety is the one that probably has your attention.

Other issues: Fishability, maintenance/repairs on the water, slip length, boat weight/center of gravity, performance, towing length, comfort. etc.

Who's next to chime in on this subject? I know there are some with definite opinions out there. Would you buy the full transom model if they offered it in the 2120? I know I probably would. However I trust that Parker knows best in this regard.

Tim - I appreciate the thoughtfull comments. If you fish in December (between the Holidays?) I just might want a trip.

The boat sounds about perfect for my needs. I was not talking about anchoring in a rip. I'm sure we have the same type of bass fishing, I like to fish rip lines (on the drift) - my current notched transom boat will take water through the notch and onto the deck when you hit the standing waves at the rip line (right where the bass are sitting). It drains out but with 4 anglers in the stern you can take more water than you like. This past week I was out with a crew of 4 and the comment was "where did all this water come from" - nothing in the bilge but a good 3 inches in the corners of the stern. Getting tired of this sceario and I have the "itch" for a new boat.

I guess my bottom line question is "Does the transom notch present an issue when drifting through rip lines of "normal" size?" Typical situation in Long Island Sound is that the bass are right on the rip line and you need to snuggle up right next to it to bang your fish. Current boat takes water and if the rip is "up" I stay at the throttle to allow the crew to hook up and I keep the boat out of the snotty water. Sometimes you have to drift through it and on some of my friends boats (full sterns) we just drift right through it all the time.

The comment on anchoring was "how difficult is it" without a windlass. CCs offer the ease of anchoring and retrival (we anchor for tautog (blackfish)) in Oct. and Nov. I realize a windlass is the best way to do this but I'm trying to apply the KISS principle.

I would use the boat in Long Island Sound basically a 15 mile radius (one way) from my home port. I don't envision offshore use. (I'll hitch a ride on a bigger boat for that.)

I realize boat buying the art of the compromise.

Thanks - Jack

Thanks for all the kind words Jack. You are welcome to ride along with me during the holidays. Contact me at 804.467.1897 and we can work out the details. I will be fishing the stripers and trolling by day, casting to the Ches. Bay Bridge tunnel islands and lights in the evening. Weather permitting of course!

Keep in mind I have a 2 hour trip to the launch ramp, and a corresponding ride home. It may be easier to meet you in Va Beach!

Thank you - I have the period from Christmass to NY off (benefit of my job) - and yes, I can meet you in VA beach. If the weather is good I will contact you. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Jack

I attempted to document my four years in a 2120SC on my web page, which might be of some use to you. Over that time, we only took water over the stern on a few occasions, never anything alarming. What a great little boat. Since then we have moved up to the 23 footer and its an awesome boat as well. If you do come to Va Beach and want a ride in a 23 sport cabin, e-mail me. The 23 has a lot of advantages size-wise, but it is not as nimble and the ride is harsher in chop. With the 21, you sacrifice a lot of room to stowage boxes and engine intrusion.

Thanks Mark - If I make it down to VA Beach during the Holidays I will contact you. Parker owners are definately a friendly bunch.

Jack

I got a 2120 SC a little over 2 years ago. Ive been out in very undesirable conditions and never had any problem. I removed the splashguard too. I wouldnt worry about it. I love my boat! Good Luck

JackC":2wb1ty4g said:
Tim -
The comment on anchoring was "how difficult is it" without a windlass. CCs offer the ease of anchoring and retrival (we anchor for tautog (blackfish)) in Oct. and Nov. I realize a windlass is the best way to do this but I'm trying to apply the KISS principle.

I would use the boat in Long Island Sound basically a 15 mile radius (one way) from my home port. I don't envision offshore use. (I'll hitch a ride on a bigger boat for that.)

I realize boat buying the art of the compromise.

Thanks - Jack

Boat buying does have it's compromises,but put alot of thought as to how the boat will be used. Do you fish solo alot?or always have more than 2?
I had a windlass installed when I blew a tendon in my leg this spring,it has been a pleasure pushing the button.I just make one trip to the bow to tie off,and one to untie.
On the 2120 the windlass works perfectly in shallower water.Once you start fishing 50' + you most like will have to pull some coils forward in the anchor locker,about 1/2 way up or the rode will bind up because it is impossible to get hole directly center of the anchor locker,still alot better than pulling manually,esp when you have to re-anchor while wreck fishing.

(un) Lucky:

FYI: If you redrill the hole under the windlass at an angle back towards the deepest end of the anchor locker then you will have less snarls. Most holes are drilled perpendicular to the pulpit which shoots the anchor line too far forward. I routinely pay out 250" of line and seldom have snarls.

jim

Maybe the installer didn't angle it back enough,but if I put out 250' of rode I will get jammed a good percentage of the time.I'm just in the habit now of reaching down there about 1/2 way up and pushing rode back rather than have it kink up in the hole.Fishing in less than 20' it works perfectly everytime.
I have the Lewmar Pro-fish 700 free fall.

Thanks for the continuing discussion on this boat. I guess if I take the plunge a windlass is in order. In my area the use of a anchor ball is pretty much standard but a windlass would be nice (I was trying to avoid the windlass in order to keep life simple). I assume they are fairly trouble free.

Jack

Good day Jack, I own a 2120 bought new in oct of 02, its an 03. The 2120 with its open transom is only a problem in seas when you loose your sight of your suroundings, other boats wakes,beam to seas,following seas,weather, etc,etc. My point is no boat this size weather open or closed transon will weather the storm so to say. You must be alert when fishing the rips, for so many factors come into play when dealing with mother nature. I am a uscg aux member and is an approved uscg operational facility.My wife and I love the water and will assist any one in need,we have many a story ,yanking a boat fishing in the channel while a tanker is coming down on them, sinking boats,drunk and confused boaters,I can go on and on. Remember, she is only a 21 footer. but very capable of the conditions you mention, but only when you take heed to my above post. Be safe and have fun.

Thanks for the comments on limitations of any boat. I tend to be somewhat cautious. We lost a boat out of my home port this year and both people on the boat passed away. This was very surprising because the day was calm (the boat appeared to wrap the anchor line around the lower unit and swamped when the stern got pulled under). Not a Parker.

(God Bless Them)

Jack

I know this is a parker site and they are wonderful boats. However, have you considered looking at the 23 Maycraft as a comparision. It is right between the 21 and 23 Parker in size at around 22'. It can had with a full transom and a bracket or a 30" transom as well. It is not a deep v boat but is built on the old well respected sea ox mold. The parkers are built and finished a little nicer and but Maycrafts are commercial grade 3 piece hulled boats none the less. Some of the advantages of the Maycraft are the level deck to the helm (no step down into the pilothouse), enclosable extended hardtop, and generally lower pricing. They can be also had with your choice of power. Disadvantages are lesser known name, narrower beam, higher pilothouse catches the wind more drifting, lesser fit and finish. Just mentioning for comparision purposes.

http://www.boattraderonline.com/dealera ... l?90254617

Back