21 Sport Cabin Questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B-Faithful":1sxtb7k4 said:
I know this is a parker site and they are wonderful boats. However, have you considered looking at the 23 Maycraft as a comparision. It is right between the 21 and 23 Parker in size at around 22'. It can had with a full transom and a bracket or a 30" transom as well. It is not a deep v boat but is built on the old well respected sea ox mold. The parkers are built and finished a little nicer and but Maycrafts are commercial grade 3 piece hulled boats none the less. Some of the advantages of the Maycraft are the level deck to the helm (no step down into the pilothouse), enclosable extended hardtop, and generally lower pricing. They can be also had with your choice of power. Disadvantages are lesser known name, narrower beam, higher pilothouse catches the wind more drifting, lesser fit and finish. Just mentioning for comparision purposes.

http://www.boattraderonline.com/dealera ... l?90254617

No Offense to Maycraft owners but spend the money and get a Parker. I fished on my good friends 23' Maycraft with the notched transom for years and it doesn't even come close to a Parker. The only advantage was the open back with extended top (and if you have rocket launchers on the top and are 6' tall WATCH OUT!!:shock: ). Performance wise the Maycraft planes well and rides similar to a Parker at cruise in light chop. At troll speed the narrow beam, light weight and lower gunwale creates a bottle top sensation as two or three adults move to one side of the boat it feels like you are about to flip over. No comparison to the stability of a Parker and I think if I were buying a boat to fish with my 73 year old father stability would be on the top of my list. Parkers are known for there lift at the transom and tend to rise as a wave approaches instead of digging in. I have owned tons of boats over the years and settled for less more than once and regretted it every time. Get the Parker. I have no regrets this time and if you are even considering the 2320 GET IT! :wink: Dont make the same mistake I made before. Just my two cents worth. Good luck and hope to see you around the forum.

Good to know. I have never been on the 23 Maycraft. However I did personally chose the 25 Maycraft over the nearly identically priced 23 Parker and used 25 mv due to layout reasons and am pleased..

Maycraft is an excellent brand. The 23 pilot house is a nice boat. We were looking for a cabin that was a bit more weather proof and that was our reason for not buying it. If I was not such a dedicated winter angler I could have "settled" on the 23 Maycraft very easily.

First run for my boat since Memorial day is tomorrow evening. We'll be putting in at Lynnhaven and fishing the CBBT all evening. I love trolling and casting to the islands at night. Gonna be nice and warm before this front breaks too!

maxout said:
Parkers are known for there lift at the transom and tend to rise as a wave approaches instead of digging in. I have owned tons of boats over the years and settled for less more than once and regretted it every time. Get the Parker.
quote]

I have always been puzzled by owners of other brands complaining of wet decks, water over the transom, etc. never had a problem w/Parkers. Assumed it was operator error (anchoring from stern).

As for the comment about "settleing for less"...yep..."Hay that has already been thru the horse is always cheaper than fresh hay" :lol:

This is in no way a swipe @ MayCraft, great boats :wink:

Thanks for the continuing discussion on my post. Water over a notched transom is common, a good captain keeps his eye on things and has to respond to the situation. In my waters it is normally not an issue - I have a Hydrasport Ocean Skiff which has a notched transom. If I'm anchored up bottom fishing normally no problem. If the wind is against the tide I can take water over the transom and the deck gets pretty wet (you need "sea boots" when fishing the stern). 1000 pounds of anglers versus 400 is also an issue (some of my buddies are oblivious to water coming through the notch) - 4 guys in the stern is very different than 2. (relative weight of the anglers is also an issue).

Drifting through a big rip line is also a challenge - if you let it go stern first (which it wants to do) - you can work the boat to make sure you put the bow into the rip line or stay at the throttle to stay out of the snotty water - but if the rip is really up (wind against the tide) - you need to be really carefull. I've seen the rip line so nasty that I have left for home saying its just not worth it (getting sucked into legitimate 6 foot standing waves is not a good thing). Favorite day at the rip line (buddies 25 Glacier Bay) - I was in the stern diamond jigging - the wave broke over my head (no joke)... Decided to stay uptide of the rip line after that.

Hopefully, I will hook up with Classic Parker members during during the Holidays - definate ride at Boats Inc. is in order in Feb. (they have open house for the cabin style boats during boat show season).

Thanks again- and have a great Thanksgiving.

Jack

Jack - I know your local to me, your welcome to go out toggin with me this weekend if you want to ride in a Parker. Whole different animal that the 21 though. Happy Holidays.

Back