2120 Batteries re-located

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC

Reaction score
Added glass supports and re-located batteries to bilge. Moving the batteries freed up the two boxes above deck for storage.

*The photos and explanations herein are for demonstration purposes only. They are not to be, or give guidance as an instruction manual. Any modifications or additions to Parker boats should be attempted solely by a marine professional or a certified Parker dealer.

Looks great!
Can you tell us the group size of those batteries?

Megabyte":7h632gzs said:
Can you tell us the group size of those batteries?
29's.......I’ll eventually replace them with Absorbed Glass Mat.

sea1skiff":7h632gzs said:
I like the idea except for them being below the water line

The tops are 3.5" above water line. If necessary the platform can be raised another 3”.

Are the batteries directly under a deck hatch? Are you concerned about salt water dripping on them?

Noticed your raw water p/u. Did Parker not rig your livewell pump directly on top of the p/u?

Is there a cut-off on top of raw water p/u?

Are you a member of MCBC (Megabyte clean bilge club)? :D

FishFactory":qlg6t39d said:
Are the batteries directly under a deck hatch? Are you concerned about salt water dripping on them?
The hatch is extremely secure. If water intrusion becomes an issue, I have two drain holes molded in the platform.

Noticed your raw water p/u. Did Parker not rig your livewell pump directly on top of the p/u?
Your observation is correct, Parker did not mount it on top. The pump is in the Port battery box above deck. This is a poor location however an easy fix.
The corner Port and Starboard boxes waste valuable deck space. It is my opinion; an assortment of rigging issues required more attention before commiting the boat to manufacture. However I am aware good design demands continued evolution.

Is there a cut-off on top of raw water p/u?
Yes

Are you a member of MCBC (Megabyte clean bilge club)? :D
It would be an honor if Megabyte accepts my photo application to join his elite organization, MCBC.

Interesting option on your batteries.

Last week I relocated my bilge pump float switch more aft in my 2120 and am planning either a removable or see through bulkhead to go in against the bilge pump and come up to the hatch. I like the deeper storage unit for larger fenders, hoses, etc. but do not want anything near or on the float switch. I'll look tomorrow to see if the batteries could be located more forward in both compartments to allow room for better strorage spaces in the battery compartments.

Calm seas................Pete

greatcir":1s5ujzvs said:
Last week I relocated my bilge pump float switch more aft in my 2120

Pete, A note of caution...
I replaced the bilge pump and switch in my neighbors Whaler that way - that is, with the switch aft of the pump.

With the boat still on the trailer I tested the pump by flooding the deck with a garden hose until the pump activated.

The pump evacuated the water well, but having the switch aft of the pump meant that once the water level caused the pump to loose prime, the switch (being aft) was lower than the pump and still seeing water... and it wouldn't shut off. :shock:

It was one of those :roll: moments and I had to scramble to disconnect the wiring to get the pump to shut off. :(

Of course, all the wires had been dressed, everything was very neat, and then I had to cut everything apart and start over. :cry:
Being a project... I took photos, so I have the evidence of my error if you'd like to see them.

You might want to test your pump to make sure everything works the way it should.
I'm glad that I did.

Capt. Kevin - Thanks for the catch on the bilge pump switch. I did not mount it aft of the pump but more at a 45 degree angle with the tip of the float switch facing aft. I may still have the problem you ran into so will definately check. I guess I could just put a starboard piece under the switch to raise it slightly higher than the pump so it shuts off before the pump. ..........Pete

Pete, Having been down that road before, I thought I'd mention it.
I have photographic evidence that not all of my projects work as intended. :D

If you have trouble with the switch in its present position, rotating it 180 degrees with the tip of the float facing forward might be all you need.

Well I revised my bilge storage plans to:

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1809

I did look at simply moving the batteries with in the two above deck compartments to make more space available, but neither one would move to a much better place without taking more effort than it would be worth for this half lazy guy.

Now I can drop my hoses, fenders, etc. on top of my plastic frame and lots of deep room now available with no issue of messing up the bilge switch.

Will still check out the bilge switch operation when a bit warmer.

........Pete

Back