2120 Bench Seat ProPedestal Installation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrazosBum

Reaction score
This is going to be a fairly lengthy post. I will add additional posts describing my installation.

Last Spring I took my adult son and a buddy rock fishing in my 2007 2120SC. Seas were a little square on the way out and we took some pretty hard hits. I didn’t think it was all that bad sitting on top of my Seaspension pedestal, but my son gave me quite the earful. I decided to look into options to smooth out the ride for the crew after that trip.

I was initially going to replace the bench with a single forward facing seat on a pedestal and cut it down to a stubby bench behind the new seat, but the wife did not want to give up the option of having three on the bench as we often go out with another couple.

I looked at a bunch of options including Garelick and Springfield spring loaded mounts, tractor seat suspensions, Smooth Move mounts, SeaSpension pedestals, and Pro Pedestal pedestals. Part of the challenge here is that you have to allow the bench to move up and down to cushion the blows. If you are going to leave the cabinet in place under the seat then you have to raise the seat bottom above the cabinet to allow that travel. In the end I decided that a pair of pedestals under the bench was the way to go. SeaSpension bench pedestals are pretty spendy and I decided to give the Pro Pedestals a try.

My initial plan was to install the pedestals hidden inside the bench cabinet. There were several problems with that. The PP is purported to have 5” of travel. If I wanted to have full travel then the seat bottom would have to be raised 5” above the cabinet, this is not really a practical height and would look goofy as heck if it was. Another problem is that the pedestals would have eaten up most of the usable space inside the cabinet. I decided to remove the cabinet entirely and install the bench on the two pedestals. I’m really pleased with the end result, as this freed up a ton of space under the bench that is way more useful than the cabinet ever was. I throw toolbox, weight bags, tackle boxes, backpacks, etc. under the bench and everything is easily accessible.

I spent quite a bit of back and forth with Pro Pedestal working out the height details before ordering. I wanted the bench to sit just a bit higher than it is on the cabinet because it will sag under the initial weight of the passengers. I ended up with 15” pedestals, plus the height of the adapters that go between the seat and the pedestal.

The Parker bench seat bottom is intended to be supported by the cabinet underneath. It would collapse in the center if only supported by the two pedestals at the end. I addressed this by adding a piece of ¾” plywood under the seat, which adds to the overall stack height. You could also weld up a frame for the seat to rest on.

PP hadn’t done a lot of bench seat applications and we worked through a few issues after the initial sea trials to get the performance tuned. Greg, the owner of Pro Pedestal, was very helpful in working through the issues and we’ve got a good baseline if anyone else chooses to do this.

The two pedestals have to work somewhat independently. If you have one big guy sitting on the back end of the bench seat the rear pedestal will do most of the work, and the front pedestal will not see much travel. PP developed a compliant adapter that goes between the top of the pedestal and the seat bottom to allow this independent action, but it proved to be a bit too stiff. We added some vibration isolators to the stack and this resolved that issue.

The spring rate was initially too stiff for the dual pedestal application and we were not getting as much shock mitigation as expected. PP sent me replacement springs that really improved the ride. It’s kind of hard to target exactly the right spring rate when you consider that you might have anywhere from one lightweight to three big guys on the bench. The springs we ended up with strike a good balance, and seem to work pretty well under all loads.

When I did the install there was an annoying amount of rocking of the bench. It turns out that the pedestals have a noticeable front to back play in one direction and are more stiff in the other orientation based on a keying feature. I drilled new holes in the adapters that allowed me to rotate the pedestals 60 degrees in the base mounting holes. This puts the keying feature on the pedestals “kneed in” toward one another and resolved the rocking.

I spent time ahead of the installation to fabricate and glass the plywood base and prepare backing rings to go under the deck, then spent about a full day to do the installation. I would say that this is by far the best upgrade that I have done since getting the boat. The crew is still sitting sideways on the bench, which is never going to be as comfortable as facing forward, but the pedestals take the shock out of the hard hits and make for a much happier crew. It was an unexpected bonus to gain the extra space under the bench.

Attachments

• bench_small.jpg
    bench_small.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 443
  • rotated_resized.jpg
    rotated_resized.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 443
2120 bench seat ProPedestal installation post #1

The bench seat itself has little structural support. It is intended to sit on top of the fiberglass base cabinet for support. I cut a sheet of ¾” plywood to go under the seat. I rounded the corners and radiused the edge all around with a router before glassing the bottom surface. I ran out of glass and resin after doing the bottom and I never got around to doing the top surface. Maybe it will be a winter project to finish glassing and apply gel coat.

The seatback sits under a ledge in the pilothouse. Since I was raising the height of the bench when unloaded I needed to drill a new set of holes in the back support braces to lower the seatback. I was concerned that the lower seatback would be uncomfortable, but it is fine in the lower position.

Attachments

• plywood small.jpg
    plywood small.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 412
  • seat_brace_small.jpg
    seat_brace_small.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 414
2120 bench seat ProPedestal installation post #2

I wasn’t sure what sort of structure was built into the Parker shelf under the bench seat. I spoke with a Parker dealer at a show and he said they have Parker embed metal plate built into the floor when they do a special order boat with a pedestal in place of the bench. I figured the safest bet was to fabricate backing rings that could be inserted through the center hole to serve as bolt rings for the pedestal mounting bolts. I designed the rings and had my fishing buddy fabricate them. He made them from 1/8” stainless steel with PEM nuts for the 3/8-16 mounting bolts. I’m attaching a drawing in case anyone wants to do the same

It turns out that the shelf the bench cabinet sits on is 3/4" plywood that is glassed on both sides. You could probably get away with just using lag screws to secure the pedestals instead of making the backing rings, but you can't go wrong with the rings.

Attachments

• donuts_small.jpg
    donuts_small.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 397
  • BackingDonut 8in bolt circle.PDF
    77 KB · Views: 9
2120 bench seat ProPedestal installation post #3

I used a leftover cardboard shipping tube to mock up the pedestals to determine where to position them, then the 4” diameter center holes for the pedestals were drilled using a hole saw.

The area under the bench seat shelf is filled with foam. You have to remove enough foam to accomodate the pedestal post and to make room to slip in the backing rings.

I put in 8-32 screws to hold the rings in place before the main pedestal mounting bolts are installed. Here is a shot of fit checking the rings. The large hex bolts shown here were used during the installation because they were easy to find at Home Depot. They were replaced with stainless oval heads in the final installation.

Attachments

• fit_check_small.jpg
    fit_check_small.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 411
  • holes_small.jpg
    holes_small.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 415
  • insertdonut small.jpg
    insertdonut small.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 413
  • donut_check_small.jpg
    donut_check_small.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 412
2120 bench seat ProPedestal installation post #4

The next step was to install the pedestals in the boat.

After installing the pedestals I balanced the seat on the top plates and marked the locations of the seat mounting holes in the adapters. I drilled clearance holes and installed 5/16-18 Tee nuts into my ¾” plywood seat base.

The final step is to bolt the seat on top of the pedestals.

Attachments

• pedestals_small.jpg
    pedestals_small.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 400
  • teenuts_small.jpg
    teenuts_small.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 402
  • bench_small.jpg
    bench_small.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 401
How well does it work when you only have one person on the bench?

I was talking with ProPedestal last week about this and they sent me pictures of your install.

The bench cushions the ride pretty well with anywhere from one to three people. It definitely takes the bite out of the hard hits that used to punish the person sitting in the very front......

On a related note, I have a perfectly good 2120 bench seat base cabinet available if anyone needs one. Make me a reasonable offer and pay shipping.

Nice find on the deck rings. I think you'll be happy with the pedestals.

I upgraded to a 2019 2320 last year. Just finished adding ProPedestals under the bench. This install was essentially the same as the 2120 I did previously, except that I used this project as an excuse to buy a welder and welded the frame to go under the seat.

Test run last weekend got the wife's stamp of approval.

IMG_5214.JPGIMG_5215.JPGIMG_5218.JPGIMG_5223.JPGIMG_5226.JPG

This sounds wonderful if you have the patience, time, and wherewithal to do the prototyping for someone else. Seaspension has been doing independent suspension bench-type pedestals since the product first came out, when the first bench unit was designed to mount above a live bait well back in the early 2000's. President HW Bush found it worked so well, that when he commissioned another boat (Fidelity IV), he ordered the same thing as for the Fidelity III.
Yes, It will cost more than PP, but cheaper usually translates into "you get what you pay for". Seaspension will be happy to discuss your needs.

Attachments

• Image Bench Post.jpg
    Image Bench Post.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 27
  • live well bench.jpg
    live well bench.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 28
  • sergio 1.jpeg
    sergio 1.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back