2120 Cracks at Transom

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newton’s Laws of motion
If you (God forbid!) fall on your head, would you rather hit a foam pad or a concrete slab? body weight being the same in both scenarios.

--

I disagree. While in the water, on step the aft part of the boat is the most comfortable place. And the motor is in the down position. Way less stress on the bracket.

When you trailer there is no water cushion. Plus the outboard is trimmed in the up angle putting more lever arm on the bracket.

There have been a couple brackets that developed cracks in a short amount of time. That’s why the newer 2320 have more reinforcement (gussets, brackets) welded in.

I was lucky to have discovered the cracks while under warranty. BTW your hull warranty does not cover the bracket. This is a separate 3 year warranty that comes from Armstrong.
So you think that the cracks in your bracket occurred because of trailering down a bumpy road or during norming running conditions at sea?

Obviously you don’t know of Newton’s laws of motion!
I’m thinking the most relevant here would be the third?

Let's keep in mind Newton’s third law applies well to rigid bodies like a rock, or a trailer. But it gets messy when it comes to fluids; that’s why we sink through water while Newton's third law is still true.

I will submit that if the boat was dropped into water from a great height, great enough so it would hit it super hard - it could be as hard as a rock, or a trailer (with the liquid particles/atoms not having enough time to slosh around and out of the way); but that is not quite the scenario in question; even during the hardest pounding of boat in the water, water sloshes around and splashes to the sides of the boat (and the transom). Unlike trailer bunks, which do not slosh aside.

The other two Newton's laws — the second and the first - are not as relevant to this query, are they?

The second law applies if the boat is bobbing up and down in the water - if it is down, then the water pushes up, and vice versa - if the boat is high in the water, the up force is less than the force of gravity on the boat and the boat will accelerate downwards, and so on.
Which brings us to the most important principle for boat floating on water - the Archimedes principle where a buoyant force acting on the boat upwards with the gravitational force acting downwards brings it to an equilibrium (zero net force) - and that is governed by the Newton’s first law.

--

Back