2120 DVSC F225 performance after raising moter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rloomis

Reaction score
Here's a new chart of the performance on my 2120 with F225 spinning the 15.75x15 Yamaha Saltwater Series II after raising the motor up 1 bolt hole from the factory location.
Every possible measure of goodness was improved: I could get on plane at lower RPM, less porpoising and better fuel economy at every speed (by almost 10% better mpg at optimal cruising rate). Another surprising benefit I didn't expect was that the prop seemed to hold its grip even better at the raised height. I was concerned about blowing out and ventilating more easily with the motor up higher, but I could actually run the trim out just as much or maybe even more with no problems.
Ran her a couple miles offshore through some chop in both head and following seas. Did a few tight turns at not slow speeds -- no problems at all.
propchart15x15swsII_rasied1.jpg

Here's the previous run using same prop at the original motor height. Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of data points that day, but you can see at 3800-4000rpm I was just barely able to hit 2.5mpg. Also at the 4600-4800 range I'm now hitting 2.6mpg at the raised height where you can see I was only about 2.4mpg at the original height. Most of my cruising mileage in the most used RPM ranges read 2.4mpg with a good trim on a following sea giving me maybe 2.5-2.6mpg.
At 1 bolt hole higher, now I'm reading solid 2.6's with 2.8-2.9 on a following sea, something I never saw before.
Also, the new chart has data points now down to 3600RPM because unlike before, I can hold a steady plane
at that low of RPM.
propchart15x15swsII.jpg

Next is the original chart with the 15x17 Yamaha Black Steel prop at the factory motor height.
Much higher top speed was possible (about 44mph at WOT), but very difficult to stay on plane down at the 3800-4000RPM range and doing any less than about 24-25mph (which was brutal traveling that fast through the kind of choppy swell and wind waves we usually have offshore here)
propchart15x17BS.jpg

Thanks for the Info and Charts
I was thinking of raising my motor one hole also
I have a permatrim and its just under water on plane
and it is supposed to be just on top of the water so the water runs under
So I was going to try one hole up
Does your cavitation plate line up with the flat of the bottom of your keel?
Or is it slightly high?

Permatrim recommendations:
On transom-mounted outboards, the engine height is determined by the location of the engines anti-ventilation plate. The Permatrim is mounted to this AV plate. To verify the outboard installation height, trim your engine all the way down and take a straight edge and place it at the bottom side of the AV plate. Carry that straight edge forward and see that the straight edge is now level with the hull bottom. At this level the outboard is at a height that will allow adequate engine performance and at a “safe” height for engine manufacturers and riggers.

In most cases an outboard engine may be mounted higher than this "safe" level. One inch higher is typical especially when running a stainless steel propeller. Stainless props will stay hooked up better at higher engine heights and higher engine trim angles. In most cases one hole up (from where the AV plate is level with the hull bottom) will get the top of the engines AV plate out of the water while planing. With this engine height, the Permatrim will mostly have water flow across the bottom. With the engine trimmed down-you will get the full benefit of the Permatrim (lower planing speed, less bow rise etc.). To gain speed you just trim the engine up. This will change the angle of the Permatrim and keep it from running through the water which would lessen its effectiveness.

To sum it up: engine height on the transom is crucial for optimal performance from you engine. With or without a Permatrim installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In actual terms, what is the height of your anti-cavitation plate now in relation to the parallel plane of the longitudinal hull? One inch above the hull?

GoodChance":26y6cffr said:
In actual terms, what is the height of your anti-cavitation plate now in relation to the parallel plane of the longitudinal hull? One inch above the hull?

Uuhh, what do you mean...an African or European longitudinal hull?

Back