2120 Shore Power

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnee83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought that I would get a big head start on gathering feedback on materials that I need to install shore power this winter. I have learned that if I spread out the boat purchases vs one big slam dunk, my wife seems to take it better :D . That said, I've attached some screen shots of what I think I need and I would like some feedback from the CP crew who knows this stuff better than me. The end game here is to have a battery charger, an inverter and a Marine AC unit. I'll probably go ahead and put a 110 or is it a 115 (?)outlet in the cabin as well. I know enough about electrical to attempt this project and defiantly just enough to screw it up. I have many questions. For example, can I mount the inverter in the bilge where I also plan to mount the battery charger(will I blow myself up being to close to the fuel tank?), how do I connect 2 batteries in series and do I need fuses in this process? How do I connect the switch and the inverter(inverter to the switch or to the batteries in a series?). Do I need the input switching panel in the attached pic or something different to go from shore power to inverter? Panels and controls I plan to mount on the side of the dash like TTucker did on his 2120 so I thought the low profile style would be best? I've got time to get this stuff figured out but wanted to get working on it as it's a lot to consider. See pics of the items I think that will work and let me know if I'm on the right track?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 482
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 482
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 482
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 481
I've been doing some research on this stuff and I think I have found the answer on a couple of things. It appears that I absolutely should not mount an inverter in the bilge area from reading the inverter mounting instructions. They should not be near fuel lines or tanks. My plan was to have 2 batteries on the house side to power the inverter and from what I can tell wiring them in parrallel is the correct way to do it. Also, if I understand correctly, I will then only need a 2 bank charger vs a 3 bank? I'm a little unclear if I could still use a 3 bank charger or not? If anyone know the answer on that let me know.

Still been doing lots of reading and learning on this stuff and I'm getting closer to making my first purchases. Plan to bring my boat to my house in December for about 3 months so I can get a bunch of stuff done in the off season. After talking with the folks at ProMariner it appears that the charger I have selected (15amp) will automatically send all available amps/power to which ever bank needs it so that is why I'm choosing this one. Next year I plan to put 2 100ish AH house batters wired in parrallel and a power inverter in the boat so I'm trying to get the charger that will handle that future set up. The #10 Triplex is due to recommendations that it is ok/safer to go a size or two larger than the minimum. For 30A, it calls for #14 to the source panel. All panels and remote controls including the ones for the Air conditioners/Heat will be mounted on the side of the helm going into the vbirth which is why I choose the low profile style. I already purchased a good quality 50' shore power cord this summer that I'm currently using with and adaptor to a power strip so that's done. Any of my electrical experts out there see any obvious flaws with my plan or have suggestions, please pass them on. I'm going to place this order in a few weeks so I can have things in hand for December. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 346
Thanks, I hope to get started perhaps while I'm off for Christmas or thereafter. I'll post as I go. I've been surprised at the lack of interest or feedback on this subject. Maybe after I actually get started?

Shawnee,
Hello.
This isn't a project for beginners. You're dealing with your electrical system, and there are a lot of intricacies and industry tips that you should have intimate familiarity with before tackling this less than simple project. The questions you are asking are all relative but also reveals your very limited knowledge of electrical systems. I say this not to offend or dismay you, but rather to encourage you to seek professional assistance on this a/c install. If you insist on DYI, then order on Amazon the book by James Minor "The 12 volt Bible for boaters".

To answer some of your questions: yes, it's series when two 12 volt batteries are connected to create a 24 volt system. I would not use less than 10 gauge for that load. Be certain to buy AWG marine tinned wire, connectors, heat shrink, terminals, bus bars, battery lugs, a lug crimper, etc..
You will need at least a 2 bank charger for the "house" system, but preferably a 3 bank charger to include charging your cranking battery. Procharger makes a good unit.

Do not mount your inverter or circuit breakers in the bilge. The port/ starboard jump boxes in the stern make good locations for electrical units. There is plenty of room in there even if they have a battery in each box.
Where are your two house batteries located: one in a jump box, one forward in the cabin?
There are so many considerations with this project: location for each device, cable runs, etc..

Follow through on this thread and let us know how you proceed. Of course, post pics along the way.

Sydngoose

Syndgoose, thanks for your reply and advice. No, not offended about lack of knowledge. I know the electrical is serious business and I plan to take my time to make sure that I follow all industry standards etc to do the job right. It will be a challenge for sure. That's how you learn, and lots of research and questions to those who know. :D At this point, this is what I have figured out and plan to do. The Inverter is not going to happen this season. If all goes well, I'll do that next year. My thoughts on the inverter and charger were to mount them both in the port side jump seat compartment. I'm also going to relocate the wash down pump currently there down to the bilge area off of a T connector after the strainer. I think the pump will work better and prime better down below the water line. I was thinking that if/when I do the inverter, I will mount both house batteries down in the bilge on the shelf that is there and they will be wired in Parallel. That will allow plenty of space and access in that Port side compartment for just the units and maybe a little line storage or something? For this year though, I'll just focus on moving the pump down and I'll leave my 2nd battery in the port box with the charger. I'm going to mount the 30A inlet under the gunnel where cut out for the exhaust on that crappy portable AC unit I mounted. Using a plate made of Starboard, that will take care of making that go away and will be an out of the way spot with easy access to run the wiring to the helm. I'll post as as I go, I'm sure it will be entertaining!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 260

Latest posts

Back