2120sc - launch and recover alone?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcv

Reaction score
Well, I've made some definite decisions about my next boat:

#1 - it will be a Parker

#2 - it will either be a 2120sc or an 1801

Like I've mentioned in another thread, the 2120 is my dream boat, although I do really like the 1801 a lot. I'm 95% sure that the 1801 will be the better boat for me at this point in my life - it's usually just my son and I and he's only 6.

I admit I'm quite tempted by some of the "previously enjoyed" :wink: 2120sc's on the market right now and if I buy used I might actually be able to afford one!

I think the biggest issue for me with the 2120 is how difficult will it be to launch and recover alone? It seems that with the extra size and the cabin it would a tough job to do by ones self... maybe I should wait until my boy is old enough to be of some help?

Like I said, I'm 95% sure I want an 1801 but if I buy a 2120 in a momet of weakness will I be able to handle this thing?

I'd appreciate any advice or nudges in either direction.

Thanks
Jay

Don't waste your time on the 1801 buy the 2120. I launch my 2120 by myself in 3 minutes. I only weigh 150 and am 5 foot 6. I back down the ramp to the waters edge. stop the truck on the ramp release the chain the the tow strap. Slowly back her in and the pull the boat by the ropes and it floats off. Retreival is just as easy. I just float the boat onto the trailer by hand never power loading and use the winch stap to pull her onto the trailer. Done in 3 minutes everytime. I do wear high top fishing boots when I walk on the trailer to pull the boat in. Hope you find the right boat for you. Having the PH makes cold and hot weather more doable. You can also have an overnight outing in comfort.

Thanks for the reply bigeye2k. So when you launch, your boat is unhooked completely as you're backing it into the water? What keeps it from taking off when it starts to float? Do you handline itoff the trailer?

Thanks

I used to launch and retrieve a 25 MayCraft solo all the time. Get a roller trailer for the ramps that dont have a nice finger pier next to them or you cannot power load.

BTW, Get the 2120sl. Notthing more expensive than having to sell a boat to buy another. You will loose a lot more money going from one boat to another as it is much less expensive to get the boat you wanted in the first place --I have first hand experience! :oops:

Ditto what bigeye said (except I'm 6'9" and 300#). Easiest boat I've ever launched. With a youngster you'll appreciate the cabin too.

Thank for the advice guys.

I'm looking at a 2120 with a 2002 Yamaha 150 Saltwater Series II motor with 215 hours on it. I was wondering what you guys think of this motor?

I was dead set on getting a newer boat with 4 stroke power but this is an attractive boat price-wise.

I'm still trying to make the decision on whether to get the 1801 or the 2120... this is tough!

I strongly agree with the 2120 over the 18', particularly with a 6 year old. Launch and retrieve will not be an issue.

Be patient. It is like a candy store out there for buyers right now. With the season winding down you will undoubtably find a 2120 rigged the way you want. Don't compromise on any major items like the engine. You will regret that later when a better boat comes on the market a few days or weeks later.

Longranger

Thanks for the reply longranger. This boat seems to be very mint with really low hours and it's priced at 25k. Is it likely I will find a nice 2120 with 4 stroke power for that price?

Absolutely yes, particularly if you can move quickly with cash in hand or a pre-approved loan. Many sellers are now desperate.

Moving quickly and hard negotiating will get the best deal but under no circumstances go ahead without a survey unless you are qualified to do one yourself. Sea trial is also a very good idea but is not manditory if you already know how a 2120 rides with the engine package you are buying. Be willing to shop at distance particularly if you are on the left coast.

IMHO with patience you will find more than one 2120 with low hours and a 150 4 stroke for 25,000. If you get lucky that will include a trailer. Quality extras like electronics, bait tank etc.. are unlikely at that price.

Longranger

jcv":dg2xlkbu said:
Thank for the advice guys.

I'm looking at a 2120 with a 2002 Yamaha 150 Saltwater Series II motor with 215 hours on it. I was wondering what you guys think of this motor?

I was dead set on getting a newer boat with 4 stroke power but this is an attractive boat price-wise.

I'm still trying to make the decision on whether to get the 1801 or the 2120... this is tough!

These engines are pretty much bulletproof and 215 hours is about a full season for most users. I would not hesitate to buy a boat with this engine if I liked the boat. It's lighter, more power. more reliable and less expensive to maintain than a 4 stroke. You give up a little fuel economy but you can buy a lot of gas for the cost difference in a new 4 stroke. I have a carb 2 stroke 150 on my 21SE Parker and a 4 stroke Yamaha built Mercury on my Carolina Skiff. Based on my experience with the 4 stroke compared to the 2 stroke, I'll buy a HPDI 2 stroke when it comes time to replace the 150.

jcv":3jbpdn68 said:

The SWS II motor is one of the best designs Yamaha (or anyone else) has ever built. :wink:

Back