2120SC power?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fliboi21

Reaction score
I was hopeing someone here could shed a little light on a question I have. I am currently looking at a 2120 sport cabin. The model I'm looking at has a yamaha F150 on it. This seems a little under powered for a boat of this wieght. The F200 is an option for $2700 more. Was hopeing someone could give me personal expierinces with one or both...thanks

I have the F150 and it is fine with a cruise at about 28 mph @4200-4300rpm Check the yamaha web site for performance bulletins. I found that a combination of tabs and engine tilt gets the boat quickly on plane. I had been told that the 200 will get you maybe 2-3 mph more at those rmps.
Good luck
Ray

I had the F150 on my very heavy Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket. It is a great reliable engine, and quiet as well. If you go in and out of hairy inlets all the time, I would be inclined to advise you to at least test drive the 2120 with both. If you do not, I am sure the F150 should be fine, as many on this board have it and post that it is perfect for their needs. The F150 is actually a hair over 160hp fyi.

Hi Guys,

I'm at the same juncture about possible power on the 2120. Are there any links to what the actual horsepower of outboards is ? From my readings, the Yam F225 isn't much better than the F200. I'm also curious about the Hondas as I used to own one. Thanks !

This question is inevitable this time of year! Many folks looking at this boat have the same concern. Here's my take on it:

F150 will provide enough power for typical use with average loads. It will not turn the boat into a tournament monster or impress your friends with its hole shot. It gets fabulous fuel mileage and is very reliable, quiet, and easy to work on (regular maintenance). I like its narrow profile. It will plane the boat with a half tank of fuel, three persons at around 13-15 mph, but you will need to use tabs for greatest efficiency. Cruise is around 4200 - 4500 rpm @ 28 mph, WOT is 5700 rpm @ 38-39 mph, 13-3/4 X 17 Black Steel OR 15-1/4 X 15 Black Steel, calm seas, normal load. Heavier loads will diminish performance (Duh!) but can still be accomodated. Fuel consumption is approx. 0.6 gals per hour trolling, 6-7 gph cruising, around 9 gph WOT. (BTW, please save me the lecture about running a prop that's too large for the motor, I've heard it too many times. There is no difference in rpm stats between the two sizes listed, and the service manual lists both as recommended)

There have been a few times in the past three years when I would have liked the F200. (1) When I am carrying 4 XXL guys on board and tons of crap, several coolers of ice, etc., i.e. overloaded, (2) when trying to run in heavy following seas, just above planing speed (I wouldn't have to worry about rogue waves as much). However, most of these concerns evaporate when I'm at the fuel pump. :wink:

The F200 is heavier and has a much larger profile. It does have more horsepower but I'm not sure of the actual power difference. I know that my dealer is now equipping the 2120 with F200's as a matter of course. I think they probably sell much faster that way. Maybe these newer buyers know something I don't.

I don't consider the 2120 an offshore rig, but I'm a conservative sort. When seas are regularly burying the pulpit, I tend to find a safe haven and wait out the rough stuff. The boat is seaworthy enough but I am not willing to get beat up and thrown around as much as I used to. There is also the fact that I want to live long enough to spend my 403b in retirement on a nice Nordhavn 43 and cruise the world.

In other words, I don't demand as much out of my boat as many of you other guys, so I don't push the F150 to its limits. If you are a zealous fisherman, charter operator, younger chap or otherwise filled with more testosterone than me, get the F200. You'll always kick yourself otherwise. Repowering is a PIA. If running in the Great Lakes get the F200 because of the differences in bouyancy with fresh water. I tried my rig in Kerr Lake, VA, and it sucked! Oh yeah, one other super-important thing:

RIDE THE BOAT FIRST IN NOT SO NICE CONDITIONS. THE EXPERIENCE WILL TELL YOU ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.

My dealer will usually do seatrials sometime in March for interested buyers, but you would need to contact them for a spot. I would be willing to dump the boat in the water for a short joyride as long as the ice is gone from the ramps. Here in Richmond area that can be anybody's guess as to when.

I hope this answers your questions. Perhaps it is more than you wanted to know? :shock:

IMO, forget the F-200 and go straight to the F-225.

I have the same hull (2300CC) only 2 feet longer and weighs only 250# more than the 21 cabin boat. With my F-225, I have "acceptable" performance. That is with 4 people, full fuel, full livewell, ice etc. Usually, we're in 2-3'ers.

The less power you have, the more you'll have to fiddle with trim and trim tabs to get the boat out of the hole and keep on plane.

More power means bigger prop and lower (quieter) RPM's

The initial cost difference between F-150 and F-225 is less than 10% on the 21' cabin Parker. Very minor fuel cost difference. You'll forget that cost difference the first time you have to climb over the backs of 4'ers trying to get home.

As long as these Yamaha 4-strokes last, this is your only chance to pick the right size motor. Unlikely you'll ever need to re-power.

As others say, run both boats. Remember, from the day you "sign on the dotted line", your boat will get heavier and slower. Pay little attention to the boat salesman...he wants your money. "Well, the F-150 is really a strong 150 hp, and the F-200 is a weak 200, and the F-225, well, it makes its' hp only a 9000rpm" :lol: Does any of that really make any sence?

btw, I would consider the 21 DV Parker hull very capable offshore. In fact there were many times I was running my 18 Parker MV 30 miles out in the ocean that I would have loved to have been it the 21 DV! (where's the icon for "thumbs up?) :lol:

I run an '04 2120SC with the 150 2 stroke, and it's worked out fine for us. The tabs help out a lot getting on plane and time to plane is not an issue for me. Keeps up with the fleet, and the deep V allows it to be a little faster than many others when the bay begins to get snotty. Going through Barnegat Inlet when you can barely see what's ahead of you when at the bottom of a trough, and there's still power to spare since it's slow going anyway and the feel of the boat hasn't made me nervous yet. Handles it well, I think.

But as it was mentioned, if you can, best is to test ride both in the same conditions and area and judge for yourself. The key questions, I think, is how do you plan to use your boat most of the time now and future and will the extra ponies really make a difference? If it will make it a safer boat for you, then I think the extra cost is a mute point because you can't put a price on that. trips out = trips back in is a good day.

John

I run an '04 2120SC with the 150 2 stroke, and it's worked out fine for us. The tabs help out a lot getting on plane and time to plane is not an issue for me. Keeps up with the fleet, and the deep V allows it to be a little faster than many others when the bay begins to get snotty. Going through Barnegat Inlet when you can barely see what's ahead of you when at the bottom of a trough, and there's still power to spare since it's slow going anyway and the feel of the boat hasn't made me nervous yet. Handles it well, I think.

But as it was mentioned, if you can, best is to test ride both in the same conditions and area and judge for yourself. The key questions, I think, is how do you plan to use your boat most of the time now and future and will the extra ponies really make a difference? If it will make it a safer boat for you, then I think the extra cost is a mute point because you can't put a price on that. trips out = trips back in is a good day.

John

I went through the same decision last year-- 150 or 200. I went with the 150 and I am completely satisfied. And I load her up when I fish. I'm usually not alone and I am 6'3" and 278lb. :D

I went through the same decision last year-- 150 or 200. I went with the 150 and I am completely satisfied. And I load her up when I fish. I'm usually not alone and I am 6'3" and 278lb. :D

If I ever repower my 2120, I'm going with twin 300's blue printed and ported. :shock: :mrgreen:

too bad you are stuck with only Yammie as an option. I bet any one of the following would be better than either the f150 or f200 due to power to weight ratios.

Suzuki 175 fourstroke
Merc 175 Optimax
Evinrude 200HO E-tec

B-Faithful":hvx2wmar said:
too bad you are stuck with only Yammie as an option. I bet any one of the following would be better than either the f150 or f200 due to power to weight ratios.

Suzuki 175 fourstroke
Merc 175 Optimax
Evinrude 200HO E-tec

Appparently, Parker, Regulator, Grady White and others don't consider the best as "an option"...Yamaha's standard equipment!

:lol:

Independently owned venture, yellowfin, fountain, intrepid, everglades, sea vee, donzi, etc. dont find themselves victims of price "dumping"

8)

:p

:lol:

I am a firm beliver that you should have a close to the max rated horsepower of the boat. An excellent rule of thumb is: power with at least 75% of the horsepower for which the boat is rated. Many manufacturers, and dealers, will rig a boat with much less in order to keep the price attractive for a new buyer.

My experience is that a boat, like me, will increase in weight over time as you add more tackle, gear, ice, beverages, people, and other assorted items. By rigging with at least 75% rated power you will be able to handle this increase. Remember, you do not have to use all that power but when you need it there is no subsitute.

Back