21SE Batteries

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOPFROG

Reaction score
I have a 2005 21SE and plan to replace the batteries. The shop foreman at Manteo Marine in Manteo, NC recommends starting batteries to replace the deep cycle batteries that came on the boat, which I purchase new. I would appreciate hearing thoughts and recommendations on what type battery to install.

I think your mechanic is correct unless you have a trolling motor or some other high current usage with the engine off.

I'm in the process of replacing my batteries on my 2004 23SE as well this spring. So I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say on this matter.

I replaced my two factory group 27 lead-acid combo (starting+deep cycle) batteries with group 31 lead-acid deep cycle batteries. I had to swap out the battery trays (thread in the Projects forum showing that). The group 31 deep cycle had as many cold-cranking amps as the group 27 starting batteries, and since they are deep cycle, they hold up better when running the radar, gps/chart, and ff for the many night hours I spend fishing for croaker.

Best decision I made. If I had the $$$ I might have gone for one of the more high-tech batteries, but for what I need, the lead-acid work fine.

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... ight=group

Dave

aka

I've heard conflicting opinions about how to run the batteries on the 23SE. Since they are identical (Tri-state installed), some say to only use one battery to start/run the boat, then switch and use the #2 battery for next outing. This way the engine is only trying to charge one battery and the other battery is fresh. Others say, start with one, then switch it to "all" so your charging both. Which way is best? Someone said, the "all" option puts too much strain on the engine, it's only designed to charge a single battery?

For what its worth, I have two identical batteries on my 2100 that I just alternate with day by day.. I use Dale's trick of battery "1" on the odd numbered days and battery "2" on the even numbered days. I have two bilge pumps, one wired to each battery.

-- Tom

Hey that is a good idea with the odd and even my luck would be i would be going out on even days!!!HaHaHa

I think that I've heard all of the battery use schemes out there, but I still run my boat on 'Both'. :shock:

I have a pair of high capacity AGM batteries and have been running them that way for 4 years without the assist of a battery charging (shoreline) system, and have never ever had an issue with a lack of power.

I do carry a jump start pack, but thus far I have never ever had to use it to start my boat.
I have used it to start other peoples boats though. :)

I plan to replace my AGM's with a new set next year, but just because I believe that 5 years is long enough. :D

YMMV :wink:

Back