225F Yamaha exhaust corrosion problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebuster

Reaction score
A freind just spent $3600 on repairing rotted out exhaust parts on his 225F. This prompted me to a search on THT to get some info and try to find out how big a problem this could be since I own an '04 XL with what is probably an '03 225F. My concern is that since these are pretty new engines that cost us big bucks in a few years we may be seeing alot more of these exhaust parts failing due to extreme corrosion. I'm not trolling or bashing, just concerned that I may not see the engine life I expected. Have any of you had this problem? My search on THT didn't leave me feeling too good about this situation.

I know some people with these engines and they do not have a problem (or not yet anyway)...who knows. I've heard some do, some don't and I have seen exactly that. Guess ya just have to hope for the best, I'm not sure there is anything that can be done.

It also sounds like Yamaha covers some that aren't under warranty anymore, but balks at others. Who knows.

Tim, From what I've read they sometimes cover parts but not labor and you have to pull the power head off. The replacement exhaust parts and newer engines have a different coating on them to help prevent this problem, I've also read that it's more of a problem with 2001-2004 engines, but that's what you'd expect as they are older and have been subjected to more corrosion. It makes me consider repowering before I'm faced with a decision down the road of putting $4000 into a 10 year old engine.

Back