225F Yamaha valve check

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebuster

Reaction score
How many of you have had the valve check? I have been told before that adjustment is very rarely needed and the techs may do more damage than good trying to shim them. So at 600hrs. I've not had mine looked at yet. What about you?

I'm with you on this. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I was just wondering how many are of a different opinion.

I had my done on the F115 at 700 hours earlier this spring. A few thousandths out of spec. If I can find the readings I'll post them. I wanted to see how much the wear was over time. It wasn't much. Not affecting the engine performance anyways.

I was going to do it myself but had purchased another boat. Working on two engines wasn't feasable at the time. Could have gone another 700 + hours probably without any problems.

That said, I don't think you need to do it, at least at 700 hours. On the other hand, Its not very difficult to do and I don't think you need to worry so much about breaking anything if your careful. We would often adjust the rockers on large 4 stroke diesels. Even easier. The adjustment is made with screwdriver and feeler gage (no pads).

parkerjon":k829dx6v said:
I had my done on the F115 at 700 hours earlier this spring. A few thousandths out of spec. If I can find the readings I'll post them. I wanted to see how much the wear was over time. It wasn't much. Not affecting the engine performance anyways.

I was going to do it myself but had purchased another boat. Working on two engines wasn't feasable at the time. Could have gone another 700 + hours probably without any problems.

That said, I don't think you need to do it, at least at 700 hours. On the other hand, Its not very difficult to do and I don't think you need to worry so much about breaking anything if your careful. We would often adjust the rockers on large 4 stroke diesels. Even easier. The adjustment is made with screwdriver and feeler gage (no pads).

Parkerjon,
I'm no mechanic so bear with me, but on my '04 I was told that there is no way to adjust them other than shimming. Is that what you had done?

How can the mechanic harm the motor? More than likely the valve lash just needs to be checked and not adjusted anyway.

Are you implying that a Japanese production worker on an assembly line has more expertise than a marine mechanic?

In the scheme of marine maintenance, changing valve shims is a pretty simple task. Remove the drive belt, the valve cover and unbolt the cams. Lift a shim out and put a new one back in. Then just bolt back in what was taken apart.

jethro said:
Are you implying that a Japanese production worker on an assembly line has more expertise than a marine mechanic?
quote]

More than some.....Thats for sure :)

jethro":31mfs6q9 said:
How can the mechanic harm the motor? More than likely the valve lash just needs to be checked and not adjusted anyway.

In the scheme of marine maintenance, changing valve shims is a pretty simple task. Remove the drive belt, the valve cover and unbolt the cams. Lift a shim out and put a new one back in. Then just bolt back in what was taken apart.

Jethro,
I'm not implying anything, but merely repeating what my Yamaha dealer told me when I asked him about it several years ago. I was asking here to find out what the current thinking was on the issue. In answer to your question I would say it would depend on the marine mechanic that did the work.

Parkerjon,
I'm no mechanic so bear with me, but on my '04 I was told that there is no way to adjust them other than shimming. Is that what you had done?

That is correct Stone, my F115 is adjusted by shimming. Only a few were out of spec and not by much. Really didn't need to do it but if its apart you might as well and bring it back into spec.

Back