23 CC - Newbie needs advice on Purchase?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicho

Reaction score
Hello All!

My name is William and I have been lurking for a while - drooling over parkers... And finally getting close to jumping on one...!!

OK -

Got a handle on a 23CC here in South Florida - And need to make sure its a good deal... I NEED YOUR HELP!

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/7/87645967.htm

Its a 2004 DV CC With an oversized T top... 225 Yamaha And 9.9 HT Yami kicker and a trailer... Lenco's...Garmin 188 Sounder/Map... Radio... All safety equipment....It has 300 hours or so... And looks spotless... The guy has babied this thing... It has bottom paint (which I don't care for but don't mind either)... He wants 40K and is not willing to budge much..

I see some decent deals going on out there right now and perhaps i'm getting to emotional about the purchase.... I guess thats what I need... Some folks to tell me its a good purchase??? Price is ok??
.. My cold feet are killing me!

Thanks for letting me rant! I appreciate all feedback!
William.

Attachments

• IMG_0108 A.jpg
    IMG_0108 A.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 7,457
william,
It sure is purty, and a kicker to boot.
the price seem resonable considering the ttop, trailer & extra engine. There is another parker 23 in yachtworld 2005 for 41k no trailer or kicker though.
It all depends on its condition,
great boat.
Good Luck!!!

IMO, $40,000 is about what that boat will bring. I base my opinion on a search by someone who kept me posted on pricing. He, by the way, gave up on the high price of a late model 23DV Parker CC, he bought new. I believe a new one is around $55k.

A little history on the one you're lookin' at. The Blue Water Edition was sold new by The Boat House in Marathon (closed now, condos got 'em). BWE included The Boat House T-Top (not Parker desiged), a SS prop, and motor mounted up a couple of holes.

I have a 23 DV CC. Really like it. I also have the pedestal seats. Most want a leaning post. It can be retrofitted for $1,000 or so. 225 HP is minium power, if new go for the 250-4 Yamaha. Boat is already light in bow, heavy in stern...personally, I'd get rid of that kicker. A 4-s Yamaha will idle/troll just fine all day long.

Catch-m-up!

I agree with FF that the boat is fairly priced for the options it has, and in its apparent excellent condition.

I like that minimal bow railing and the extra-sized t-top, but have to wonder how anyone can actually reach rods in those rocket launchers.

I also agree that the kicker is probably something that isn't needed, but that is a decision best left to the eventual owner.

Still... a good price as she is equipped.

Megabyte":369qh4ps said:
I like that minimal bow railing and the extra-sized t-top, but have to wonder how anyone can actually reach rods in those rocket launchers.

So what's the problem with having to reach up a bit to grab a T-top rod? :lol: :lol:

Wow guys - Excellent posts.

Thanks so much for the information.

If the boat didn't look so spotless - I would be looking elsewhere or for a new one. My wife's calculation is as follows: A new one would cost 55 + 3K for the Ttop... + 2-3K for the trailer + 2K for Kicker and rigging.... So if we were to buy it - it would go around for 60++ But at 39 or so... Its much more affordable for us... The guy even has the front bow cushions he never used... Brand new...

Kicker: The reason I'm attracted to the kicker is mainly the Bahamas. I grew up here on Key Biscayne (miami) and going to Bimini was very common for me. But I always was on twin engine boats. Now that I'm finally buying my own boat, I don't want to go to twin engines but yet still want the peice of mind of the kicker.. I probably won't need it but ::) its a nice extra.

THanks for that info on Blue water edition - Does the engine mounted higher impact the performance ?

Oh - one quick question about the 04 .. vs the 07 - are the specs the same? Fuel Capacity... weight etc? Same hatches, options??

Any more comments - - please do.... I appreciate everyones feedback. All of you folks are welcome out on the boat whenever you'd like!...

Thanks again.. William.

Raising the motor will give better speed, less wake, and more mpg. Raise the motor too much and it will cavitate (prop spinning in the water) in heavy seas or hard turn. That's why Blue Water Edition has a special prop.

As far as specs '04 vs. '07, there's almost no difference. The '07 would most likely have a 250-4 Yamaha. The newer 23 DV Parkers have a revised transom layout. Much better design, but not worth $20,000 extra :shock: . If you have a 2 lid fishbox, that's old style, a 2 lid fishbox with a small lid on either side (total 4 lids) is new style.

I have the '03 23 DV, can't think of any "gremlins" to watch out for. The only boat I'd trade for would be a Regulator.

I have a 2000 23 DV CC and love it. For pricing comparison, I paid $30K last summer for mine with a 250 OX66 two stroke with about 350 hours on it. Included the trailer and all the goodies. $40K for a 2004 with four stroke sounds about right. The 225 vs 250 would concern me a bit.

I will echo the comment about ditching the kicker. You really want weight out of the stern. It already has a heavier 4 stroke. I am even moving my batteries to the console this spring to save another 50 pounds in the back of the boat.

As for reaching the rods in the T-top, I am 6'4'', so no issues at all!

I was shoppping last year and a new one with trailer was effectively $60K with what you want on it and the 2006 was virtually the same as the 2000 model year.

Great posts folks..

I'm going today to sea trial... and I might just write the check!

If I see anything odd - i'll post my findings.

Sounds like i'm going to have to take that kicker off when i'm not going to the BH's. - So far - I have the following projects if I buy this boat:

"quick" connects for the kicker (for ease of removal/install)
Add a fuel Management Guage
Probably will do an engine service (fluids etc...)
Repaint the bottom
Move the batteries forward :)
Check all the pumps lines.. etc..
Add lights to the T-top.. Spreader and one overhead
Wax / polish

No specific order.. just some thoughts...
Thanks again everybody.. EXCITED!!!

wp..

Ok all...

I just got back from the sea trial - and i'm a bit discouraged.

All of you that said the rear was heavy.. Darn right. The front of that boat is all over the place - i'm not sure if its the normal ride of a 23CC.. or its a parker light front end thing.. but it was discouraging. On the bright side, the trim tabs worked real well to stabalize the boat heading into two foot waves and the ride was extremely dry considering the sea conditions.

The boat is generally slow -wot at 43 - Yall were dead on about the 225 - a 250 would make a big difference. We hit roughly 2-3 foot seas right outside Boca Raton...

We inspected the boat thoroughly and it was near perfect. There were maybe 5 or 6 light scratches underneath from normal stuff. The power steering had a tiny leak at the motor and the salt water wash down had a leak when turned on. The bilge pump had no float switch.

The kicker was nice but it made the rear end heavier than it needed to be. I guess my real question to you folks is - should I spend this much money on this boat - knowing that I have to work to get the weight forward? If I move those batteries forward - how much of a difference will that make? Remove the kicker (keep it up front btw the two seats (under a starboard peice) for long voyages to the Bh's?? The rear of the boat tended to get water inside from the back when all three of us were in the rear.. (from the cockpit (self bailing scuppers ) thingys)... And once.. when we slowed down the engine got drenched with the natural boat wave (completely and from the top). I had never seen that and it maybe normal when slowing down quickly )?(...

I guess I don't know what a 23CC should be behaving like in the seas.
Lots of positives.. just don't know if its right for me!!! Maybe I should be looking at the 25's....

Sorry for ranting.. just don't know what to do!
wp.....

Wow! Those are NOT characteristics tht my 23 have. I think the combination of a four stroke (heavy) and the kicker have resulted in way too much weight for the rear. When stopping you should not get water over the engine. That's nuts!

We fish with three guys in mine and never had water coming in the scuppers.

As for the front end wandering, I found that mine did that a little when I first drove it, but now I don't notice it. As stted earlier, I am moving my battteries to get all the weight I can out of the ass, but for me it's now just fine tuning. Something sounds wrong here, but nothing that can't be corrected.

I agree with Dave.
The weight issue (and subsiquent handling issue), is something that can be corrected.

I've had 3 Parker cc's. All 3 were light in the bow. IMO, it's a good thing. Between the light bow and the Carolina Flare, it's almost impossible to bury the bow of a Parker, something to avoid at all costs. Looks like you overcame that with the tabs. Trust me, the mod V 18 will run the same way without tabs.

Some of your observations will apply to all deep vee boats. They rock back and forth. If several stand in one corner, the boat will rock over and water could enter (although most Parkers have rubber flaps over scupppers to keep water out). Parker's 23DV hull has been produced virturally unchanged continously for over 20 years.

I have a feeling your comment "bow all over the place" is again a result of rocking while running especially in a beam sea. Try running parallel to a tug or ferry boat wake, the boat will feel like it's gonna turn over. Mod-V fans hate it, DeepVee Nation loves it! :D

The Parker you tested ran the same as Yamaha Performance Bulletins spec. Don't expect a miracle from the F-250. Yamaha Bulletin shows the 23 Regulator with F-225 and F-250 same top speed.

Have you operated a DV boat before? If looking for more speed, try a 23' Fountain. Leave off the T-Top to p/u 3-5 mph. Rig it with a couple of Opti-Maxes* and it should be a rocket!

*That was for you, B-Faithful :D

Hi All!

again.. great comments - thanks.

I think you all have excellent points and I may not be experienced enough to understand DV's and these particular boats.

My father to this day has the 29' DV that I grew up operating. So yes, i have plenty of experience on dvs but not on smaller boats.

I think the general consensus from all above is that I can get this thing resolved with a little attention to the weight issue. And the more thought I put into this, the more I agree with you. I'm not looking for a speed racer .. just a good all around boat for the fisherman in me.. and the family..

The scupper issue i think is easily resolved, no question there.. It was more of good way of communicating my butt heavy feeling about the boat. And that water over the engine freaked me out a bit too....

I have a feeling that what also contributes to my "all over the place" perspective - is that the boat had very little fuel in it and frankly i have never driven a boat with a bracket and I overcompensated the steering as I was driving it (combined with alot of "Junk in the trunk")..

FF: What is a beam sea?

Anyways - i was planning on purchasing the boat by friday but am going to wait a bit until i'm perfectly comfortable with this decision -I'm also going to drive up to Ft. lauderdale to see a 25' (for the sake of seeing being more confident)...

Thanks again all!
William.
PS - that should probably be the name of the boat "junk in the trunk" :p

One thought, and I'm not sure if you took notice of this on the sea trial, but do you recall how much fuel was in the boat at the time? If the tank was near empty or low, that could exaggerate your experience. Based on where the fuel tank is located, I have found that my 23 has a noticeable difference when tank full or when near empty. I prefer having the weight of the full fuel tank. Just a thought.

Yes, empty fuel tanks make the boat feel like it's "dancing" a bit. I like to have at least a half tank when going offshore at all.

Also, I remember when I first got the boat I was used to driving an Eastern 22 and thought the Parker handled like a truck. By end of season, I was whipping the Parker around the rocks when striper fishing and feeling perfectly comfortable on crappy days out on Stellwagen.

As mentioned earlier, it is nearly impossible to bury the bow (unlike the Eastern!), so a little bow light setup isn't all bad.

Let us know how you like the 25.

William-

I like all Parkers, so this is not a slap at any of them. You should really take a test ride on a 23 SE. It will not slice the waves quite as good as the DV but is very stabile, carries the weight of a F225 very well and does a good job in a variety of seas once you learn to use the motor trim, trim tabs and correct RPM. It is a great fishing platform once you get where you are going.

A friend of mine bought a used 23 DV. He told me the first day he launched it and stepped on the gunwale with his 230 pounds and it dippid down fairly far, he knew he would not have it long. He kept it only a short time.

I have a bud with two deep vee Seacrafts that I run often. The one is a 23' with 250 E-tec and the other is a 32 with twin 250 E-tecs. I love crashing through the waves on the way to the fishing grounds, but once there wish I was on my 23 SE.

No boat does it all best.

IMO, the 23SE would be a great boat for a South Florida fisherman. They only run out a few miles. A 23 SE would save about $10,000 in purchase price (new), and save on fuel. If it's trailered, savings on tow vehicle as SE is a lighter boat. Inshore it could almost be a bay boat.

I sold my 23SE to a bed n breakfast owner in Abaco who admitted he would hardly fish out of sight of his motel.

You are right FF about near shore fishing in a 23 SE but not only in South FL. I fish mostly stripers and because of Fed law that means within three miles of shore in the ocean. I have had mine 38 miles offshore one time for tuna, but that is not where it shines or is even smart to run very often with one motor in a 23'. It was a perfectly flat day with no weather in sight for days. I call the kind of fishing I do nipping around the edges of the ocean.

I also tow from Cape Cod to Harkers Island and many spots in between with a 1500 Suburban. The boat is about as large and heavy as I would want to tow with that vehicle. Mileage is 11 MPG if not too hilly and speed does not exceed 65 MPH.

Deep vee's certainly have their purpose and some offshore fishing almost requires them, but as you stated for those who do not require them, the mod vee Parkers are cheaper to buy, easier to tow, cheaper to run, faster with the same power (my 23 SE w/o T-top hits 49 MPH in calm water). I may add they are more stabile on drift and anchor also. For a fly fishermen who has been at this fishing and boating for a long time, stability is very important.

IMHO a 23' anything is too small to be a serious offshore boat anyway. I fished the canyons a few times in a 25' Proline walk around and it was actually too small to be comfortable and safe. I know guys who have tried to fish the canyons with a deep vee 25 Parker and it was not really great for long distance offshore trips in the northeast either. I have fished the canyons in a classic 28' Bertrem also and that was a rocking and rolling time to the extreme.

Every boat has its application. William needs to think about how he really wants to use his new Parker.

For what I do a deep vee is a detriment. For constant offshore fishing, I would not want anything but a deep vee.

DV vs. SE, I can't say what is best for Bill. However, I have to say that while I heard a lot about the tendency for DV's to rock when sitting still, I haven't found that to be the case with mine. I weigh a solid 220- 225 and I find it to be a very stable fishing platform.

Back