23 SE - General Questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarpooned

Reaction score
Just registered here as I am contemplating a new Parker 23 SE. I'm on the West Coast of Florida (Tampa Bay), and have some general questions on what to expect from the boat. It'd be used for inshore flats fishing (3' and less) and coastal fishing (bays, beaches and inlets where we catch snapper, grouper and tarpon...2-3 foot chops norm). I'm very familiar with the handling of classic hulls having run a restored 22' Aquasport for years doing exactly these things.

The 23 SE would be outfitted with the Yam FX200 and an aftermarket jack plate with a 6" set back.

My questions are:

1. True hull draft -- if you were trimmed up fully and literally wading outside the boat and pushing it around (we fish some very skinny stuff here)
2. Engine performance -- top speed with std prop
3. Time to plane -- with std. prop
4. Time to plane -- with 4 blade prop (I would sacrifice top end WOT speed for quicker plane and would likely go with a 4 blade prop to do so at the expense of top end...need the ability to routinely jump up on plane in 2')

Thanks in advance for the replies. I appreciate it.

howdy tarpooned. welcome.

i have a 23se but w/ a yami hpdi 200 and no jack plate. i do have a 4 blade prop on her for similar reasons - frequent larger load (4 grown men) and also prefer to get on plane quicker than have more top end speed.

i'm not going to comment on specifics to the FX200 and jack plate but I have literally had the motor plain-old tilted up and had all "jump in" and walk (float) the boat in 10-12" of water (sand bar at low tide).

the 23se hull/design i find is very "stable" and rides and drifts very "flat", even compared to your classic Aquasport (I also had a classic 1977 Mako 20 Mod V). You will find your draft is very predictable based on load. My 23se is much more "predictable" than my Mako was.

this predictability also carries to the 23se's versatility when it comes to managing a material chop. 2-3' may be a little wetter on your 23se than on a 23 DV but that (to me) is one of the only trade offs with the 23se. i'd say with confidence that you'll get "used to" how she handles in particular situations and will feel very comfortable and safe in the 23se.

some of the big benefits i find with my 23se are 2x the fishable space on the deck of your 23se compared to the "typical" 23DV. if you choose to you will be sliding into the skinny water with ease and confidence in your 23se that that same "typical" 23DV could only dream about.

did i tell you that i love my 23SE? i have another boat for further offshore reach in pursuit of particular species, but my 23se has proven to me to be an unbelievably versatile combination of near shore to skinny water boat with a lot more benefits than draw backs. Its a boat that always seems to do better than i thought in any new "situation". some things when first "encountered" i expected to be much worse - like needing to get home thru a section of head on, steep, 4' whitecaps. this may not have been exactly "fun", and needing to "take it easy" in the 23se may not have got us back to the dock as fast as the Regulator 26, but we all felt very safe and secure.

Thank you for the replies, great information in both.

The performance testing looks like it was awhile ago but I'm sure it's not all that different today.

nicknotsebastian -- You make some good points. We are very used to being "uncomfortable but safe" in the 222 Aqua. Due to weight, dispersion and sheer size I'm sure the 23 SE will be a marked improvement. I'm very used to being able to push the 222 around in 10", and that's with full tower, fuel loaded and 40 gallon livewell full. On the draft I'm just looking to get some real world comparisons I guess. Here, 3"-5" of draft maneuverability can mean the difference of fishing the right time right place for 3 hours or not being able to fish it all. That may be hard to imagine but it's often true in our world here.

sounds cool. up here (cape cod) we have a 10-12 foot tidal swing. "skinny water" often just translates in my brain to "low tide". not always fishing - sometimes clamming, sand eel raking, etc and using the boat as a "base". biggest trick is not getting "trapped" inside a sandbar that's 10" and cleared on the way in and dry as a bone when you thought you'd be able to get back "out" :lol:

another great thing i love about the 23se...esp compared to our deep V - if you do "forget" and get the boat beached on a bar, at least its not going to rest so listed that everything on the deck, gunwale rack, or storage compartment isn't going to get "dumped" :lol:

if you get the 23se, my guess is you'll love it like i love mine. sounds like its a great solution for you. only other suggestion i have is if you want to be able to go "super skinny" maybe check out the 21se. the 21 se is probably almost as much deck space as your aqua 222 was. i'm just guessing - as a smaller, lighter boat - maybe has more shallow a draft (?).

Are there any other 23SE owners out there who can comment on their draft? How skinny can you geet?

It's published 10" so I guess I'm looking to roughly confirm that or something close to it. I know fuel gear and load will affect it.

Thanks.

Cant comment on the 23, but I have the 21 se. Used it in some skinny water in the Carolinas as well as some flats here in PR Mine floats easily in 10-12 with a full tank and loaded. You will be surprised at the areas you can get into, especially with a jack plate. I have thought about putting one on mine. The biggest issue you will have for skinny is rigging a trolling motor. I personally haven't seen one on a 23se but I have heard it can be done. You're going to need a crazy long shaft and the most power you can buy. With the high sides of the SE boats, that's a lot of sail area to deal with when on a trolling motor. Best of luck! I am sure you will love the 23se such a versatile hull design. I have really been impressed with my 21 and often wished I had spent the extra cash to go to the 23. I would think a 23 with a tower would be a perfect rig for what you have in mind!

Hey Tarpooned, I have a 2007 23SE, w/200 HP 4-stroke. Have I told you I love my Parker?? OK, I don't have a bracket, but on my boat I can put 4 (four) 200+ pound guys and myself at the helm ( another 200+ pound guy) and travel in 18inches of water. I must trim up, and drive at steerage speed, but moving forward all the time. As far as top end goes, I run at 4200 RPM ( not top end ) ,and produce 17+ knots on flat ocean. Fuel burn is very good as the Yami 4-stroke is a frugel motor. My ride has been bullet proof for 10 years, but this year I had my first motor issue. Water in the fuel, and had seized high pressure fuel pump. Back on the water and seems to be running better than ever. 750+ hours to this point. I'm sure you will have different stats with the bracket, but go with it, and come back to this site with your Q's, as these guys are top shelf to satisfy your Q's..... Bottom line, I haven't heard too many bad words, and everyone is happy to be in this Parker family..............Welcome to this interesting and Parker oriented site. . Papa

Back