2320 Autopilot

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andertonm

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience putting an autopilot on a 2320 with the motor out on a bracket?. My concern is mounting the rudder position sensor (resistor) and getting the wiring through the transom.

I know nothing about autopilots.

Can you use the rigging tube ? I added a water pressure guage and not too much trouble to add water piping.

Congrats on the new Parker!

I installed a Raymarine s1000 on my 2320 about 5 months ago. So far I have been very satisfied.

This pilot does not have a rudder feedback. The pump connects to the hydraulic steering at the helm and the computer connects to the gps. That's it. Relatively easy install for a "do it yourselfer."

Solved this problem today. The F225 on a bracket severely limits your options for mounting the linear resistor that is part of most outboard autopilot installs.. Things are tight back there. Everywhere you put the thing it binds up on something. You have to watch out for tilt and the thing changes vertical position as you steer lock-to-lock. We ended up making new standoffs from starboard and extending the stainless steel arm that pushes and pulls on the plunger. I'm not a fan of this expensive resistor unit. Seems like high-end outboards should provide a rudder position signal as part of the package just like tilt, RPM, etc.

I look at electronic toys with some skepticism, but autopilot is a "must have" item. For trolling, it allows you to ge back and tend the lines without worrying about the boat going in circles. For general navigation, it must save you money by getting you from point A to point B by the shortest path.

We tried the Raymarine S1000, but it has a major shortcoming in that it uses the GPS to get its heading info. That allowed them to produce a very economical unit. The problem is that if your speed over ground decrease to the point the your GPS can't determine your heading, the autopilot just quits. So if you are trolling into the wind or into a 5 knot current, it gives up and you start drifting aimlessly. Raymarine has made software changes that increases the time that the unit remembers your last heading, but it did not solve the problem. The other flaw seems silly, but it's real... Sometimes you tell the autopilot to do something stupid, like send me on a heading 180 degrees from where I'm going now, and it does what you told it to do and the normal reaction is to punch the STANDBY button. When you do that on the S1000, the wireless remote pops out of its mounting bracket and flies across the pilot house. I said it sounds silly, but it has happened to me and other drivers of my boat numerous times. I think the S1000 has safety issues and have let Raymarine know.

We removed the S1000 and moved up to a unit with compass and rate gyro. Get the right control head and you can steer the boat with a knob. Cool stuff!

Attachments

• Img_0015.jpg
    Img_0015.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,144
the wire goes right through the large 3" tubiing that encases all of the other engine wires...no big deal. Just loosen the hose clamp, leave some slack, and watch the movement of wires, etc. before securing with tie straps. The sending unit arm does need to be extended when attached to the Teleflex...the Raymarine circular instruction tag is wrong on the in structions to the contrary.

andertonm":3gf7m17k said:
We tried the Raymarine S1000, but it has a major shortcoming in that it uses the GPS to get its heading info. That allowed them to produce a very economical unit. The problem is that if your speed over ground decrease to the point the your GPS can't determine your heading, the autopilot just quits. So if you are trolling into the wind or into a 5 knot current, it gives up and you start drifting aimlessly.

Adding a "Heading Sensor" to the GPS will eliminate the problem........ an additional $300.-$500.

Back