2320 sport cabin notched transom repower suggestions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spdnby

Reaction score
Hello there
I have an existing Yamaha year 2000 200 hp 2 stroke HPDI and am in the market for a new outboard.

I am pretty much done with yamalube 2m at 40 bucks plus a gallon. The HPDI went south Sunday. Sounds like the power head. Made a hell of a racket stalled and wouldn't turn over.

I believe the dry weight of this 2 stroke is 475 pounds.

I also felt like the boat was under powered. It would take 3800 rpm to get the boat moving. Anything between 1800 and 3800 rpm I felt like I was wasting gas.

I'd like a more powerful engine, also a 4 stroke.

Has anyone hung a transom mounted 250?

Due to the notched transom I am a little worried about adding more weight in the rear of the boat.

What brand engine are most partial with?

I need to make a decision by the end of the week.

Any pros and cons....I don't think I'm going back with a Yamaha.

I know Mercury makes a sweet looking engine and comes recommended from a slip neighbor.

I also am considering Suzuki. And yes with a whole new set-up price does come into play.

I live in New Jersey so it will not be in the water all year long.

Thanks for any help.

I just repowered with a Evinrude etec 225 still in the propping stage Put it on a 2300 dv cc with bracket, took off a 2000 yamaha 200 hpdi My choices were etec or suzuki 225 hp for the same exact money with all new controls and rigging. I went with the etec because of the warranty and price. Adding two stroke oil is no big deal , been doing that on the last 3 yamahas besides using 100/1 you burn twice the gas per gallon of oil. There are many conversations on the net about the pros and cons. Also with the etec you don't go back to dealer for any service for 300 hrs or 3 years, that has to be worth something ! Also no break in and 20 hour oil change with about 195 less moving parts to fail ! Both 225 and 250 are rated to run on 87 octane which is another factor to consider and Etecs weigh approx 75 lbs less than 4 stroke.

Do your homework good luck with whatever you buy
Charles

Agree with charlesretired can't go wrong with the etec especial for those reason.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436276532.778139.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436276532.778139.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 224
In my area most outboards are Yamaha followed by Suzuki followed by Mercury/others. What's the point? Local dealer brands, actual reliability?? Probably both? My personal favorites are Yamaha and Suzuki. If not buying a Yam then I'm sure I would be purchasing the Suzuki. I have heard good things about Etecs though. Whichever route you go, service availability in your area obviously needs to be considered. For a 2320, if a deep V, I wouldn't put less than a 250 on it(if 2 stroke maybe 225?).JMO. Good luck.

Thanks Captains for replying.

I am considering some radical changes.

I may raise the notched transom 5 inches and remove some of the lead ballast in the back of this boat to support the extra weight of the 4 stroke.

Capt Charles I have a guy pricing my options at the moment and he recommended the E-tec outboard, and said if weight was a concern, he would not consider doing a Mercury Vornado 4 stroke as its like adding another 200 pounds to the back of the boat. This brought up the discussion as to removing the lead ballast.

I personally don't want to add 2 stroke oil anymore but due to the weight of a 4 stroke I may have to.

As the boat sits now the scuppers (the rubber flapper type) that are installed on the transom are practically at the waters height.

When i bought my boat about 3 years ago i knew the Parker name but was unfamiliar how a notched transom boat was designed. I have only recently realized that i needed a splashwell cover. I ussually fish alone and recently took out 4 passengers and had the 150 gallon tank mostly filled and wow that was an eye opener when we fished in rough water.
Ill keep posting as to my decisions.
I wished there was an easier way to post pics without having a picture hosting website to do so.

I found a way around the pic size issue by emailing photos to myself off of my iPhone which ask when emailing pics what size you want to send them. Select medium. Then open email and save pic to your device.

Thanks Shawnee I know how to save them smaller but I was still unable to post.....I'll have to try again with a smaller photo.

Back