23SE Trim Tabs Options

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitecap

Reaction score
Just had a Yamaha 225HP 4 Stroke put on my 2000 23SE and now definetly need trim tabs. (Never had them before with a 175HP 2 stroke).

Is anyone out there using tabs other than the ones that fit in the recesses in the bottom of the hull? They seem restrict the size you can use.

Any 23SE trim tab info. would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Fill the depressions and Inquire about the volvo ql tabs

auto retract
less drag
resistant to growth.

The OEM Trim Tabs on my 23SE have no problem pushing the bow down. I have the 200 four stroke Yamaha which is the same weight as the 225. I like the recessed tabs. Less chance of getting tangled in them.

Charlie
Eden, Md.

I run that boat with a F225 and stock recessed tabs. It is true that they do a "fine" job - but I would prefer more tab. I posted in an earlier thread on this general topic.

If ceblizzard wanted to instal transom mounted tabs (or if I wanted larger ones....), does anyone know whether filling the tab pockets, as mentioned here by folks, is actually REQUIRED?? Can you mount tabs across the pocket area, as long as the tab is mounted higher than the depression?

Thanks

B-Faithful":1qrgeka7 said:
Fill the depressions and Inquire about the volvo ql tabs
Be VERY cautious considering Volvo QL tabs ... studies by hydronamic engineering facilities question their use and practicality on small vessels. Bennett themselves have test results by independent labs that disprove their function (over plane-type tabs) on boats such as ours.

That same testing also proves QL Tabs as being useless at lower speeds ...

auto retract
Whoopy doo ... option if not standard item on Bennett or Lenco tabs.

Strike 1 ...

less drag
Uhhhh ... did you fail to understand Bernoulli's theory of hydronamics? That 'drag' you scoff at ... is a by-product of the lifting effect! FACT: You CANNOT have any lift without generating any drag. It is physically IMPOSSIBLE!

Strike 2 ...

resistant to growth
Huh? If memory serves me right ... they're made out of thermoplstic. I just checked my transducers yesterday and one that was NOT painted with a suitable anti-fouling paint ... had growth. So strike out that perceived benefit.

Strike 3 ... you're out ...

Read about the longevity of Bennett tabs (like 30+ or more years service) and you'll see why educated boaters use Bennett Marine trim tabs :D !

Credit goes to Volvo for an imaginitive idea that works on displacement vessels such as cargo ships. But I believe even more credit is due their marketing folks ;) !

Back