25 DV Owners: 25 DV parker vs Grady White Seavee2

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainJim

Reaction score
Does any of you 25 DV guys have any input here? I'm comparing ride quality and price performance of a DV parker (walkaround or SC) vs the grady hulls.

I'm starting to research my next boat... I'm considering moving into a (gasp) different brand (grady) because of a strong used market, which is both a plus and a minus.

I love my parker. I love how much room it has, how practical it is, and how simple everything is. It's a work boat, simply put, and most of us 'get it' ... It has few systems, which means low maintenance and 'less crap to break, less crap to fix'. For guys who fish mostly on walkarounds, they get on my boat and go 'holy crap this boat is HUGE'. My dissapointment is in the ride quality. My 14deg MV rides like a brick. It slams and bangs and it doesn't like a head sea.

My new marina is in the back bay, but a majority of my fishing is done in the ocean, and forces me to 'pick my days' more than i'd like to. I've ridden on a couple grady whites in my marina, and simply put, the grady hull rides like its on rails. its a dry hull and it slices and seems to never pound even in a short head sea.

The grady white used market is pretty decent - they make a lot of GOOD boats, so there are a lot of decently priced boats. You can get a lot of boat in the used market for a fair price. This in itself is also a problem - reselling it later, because there are so many....there arent nearly as many parkers for sale.

in the end, i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these hulls in a comparison.

The grady is TOO much walkaround in my opinion, and not nearly enough cockpit space. So far the only modern grady I like is the 282 sailfish (I like the 267 islander a LOT but it's an 8'6" beam, soo boo)
and even the 282 has a small cockpit. I'm not necessarily looking for an offshore canyon boat, but a boat that I wouldnt be afraid to take 25+/- miles offshore wreck fishing sounds quite appealing.

A 6-8 year 282 sailfish is averaging about 50k for twin 200s (I don't want the OX66s, I want HPDIs or 4strokes), whereas a properly equipped parker 2520 DV is pretty hard to come by in that price range. THere are a LOT of XLs that are around, but really i'm looking for a DV for the ride. I'm afraid to go into an XL hull and then be dissapointed in it.

CaptainJim":iop0mdmk said:
I love my parker. I love how much room it has, how practical it is, and how simple everything is. It's a work boat, simply put, and most of us 'get it' ... It has few systems, which means low maintenance and 'less crap to break, less crap to fix'.

The grady is TOO much walkaround in my opinion, and not nearly enough cockpit space. So far the only modern grady I like is the 282 sailfish (I like the 267 islander a LOT but it's an 8'6" beam, soo boo)
and even the 282 has a small cockpit. I'm not necessarily looking for an offshore canyon boat, but a boat that I wouldnt be afraid to take 25+/- miles offshore wreck fishing sounds quite appealing.

It's been a while since I've owned a grady. I used to have the old 24' "Offshore" Walkaround with a single 225 on a bracket. My buddy fishes a newer version with twin 115's.

I love the ride in that boat, but as you pointed out, there is no cockpit room in his boat. It seems to me, in recent years, Grady has leaned towards designing a great riding boat for the family, that can be fished. Where Parker makes a fishing boat that can be comfortable for the family.

I looked strongly at the 222 CC Grady before finally getting my Parker. Great ride and LOTS of cushions. My 21 fishes more like a 23 and the 222 fishes more like a cramped 20. My wife loved all the forward seating on the 222, so we comprimised on the Parker with the forward V-seats.

It's hard to go wrong with either one though. Good luck.

I've got a 2520XLD with twin 150's. I think the ride of the boat is awesome. The only time I've really slammed it was when I was just going a tad too fast for conditions. With proper trim and speed, I have no complaints in the ride. I routinely take mine offshore 50-100 miles and I just can't say enough good things about the boat. I never feel unsafe or worn out. The only Grady I've been on is a buddy's 21 CC. Great riding boat for the size but but depending on where you stand (not much seating) I have gotten soaked on it. I know that's not really a fair comparison between the two but that's my only experience with the Grady. I thought about Grady's before I bought mine but really wanted the PH not a walkaround and I'm very glad I went the route I did. If you head out during darkness, cold or when it's very damp You just can not beat a PH. And, the PH is a great retreat when the sun is beating. My .02. Randy.

I have a 2510 xld, 2x 150 love the ride awesome boat.. so much space to fish and lobster from. great quality, built like a tank

I have the 2510 XLD. As far as the boat is concerned, I love it. I haven't as yet ventured offshore, but the afternoon wind and flow from the canal can make Buzzards Bay pretty choppy. I have always felt the ride on the 2510 XLD was great. About once a week, I fish on my buddy's 23' Grady Gulfstream. It is a great boat as well, but I wouldn't trade. It has a nice wide beam, like the Parker, but seems very small. The Grady walkaround design sacrifices too much room in the cockpit. When he is on my boat, he always comments on how much bigger it feels. And I like the level deck, instead of the step-up to the cockpit on the Grady. Perhaps comparing my 25' Parker to his 23' Grady is unfair, but we both bought our boats new and my boat was over $10K less expensive than his. I think I got the better boat.

Cape Cod FraNK, i WOULD AGREE WITH YOU. TO BE FAIR YOU NEED TO COMPARE ANYONE ELSES 28-30 FT BOATS WITH THE PARKER. I HAVE FISHED 20- 25 MILES OFFSHOARE AND HAVE ALWAYS FELT SAFE ON MY 2510 XLD

My brother-in-law has a 22' Grady Seafarer.
It is a nice boat and can give a decent ride, but the cockpit space is a fraction of my 2520 (his words).

There is a Grady Sailfish in my marina, and though I've never ridden on it, the cockpit space on that boat is easily 1/2 (or less) of mine.

If you want a DV ride, and a 2520 sized cockpit, I would seriously look for one of the 2520 DV's.
Be aware though... most owners hang on to these boats, and you will not find as many on the used market as you will the Gradys.

Megabyte":2guynqe9 said:
My brother-in-law has a 22' Grady Seafarer.
It is a nice boat and can give a decent ride, but the cockpit space is a fraction of my 2520 (his words).

There is a Grady Sailfish in my marina, and though I've never ridden on it, the cockpit space on that boat is easily 1/2 (or less) of mine.

If you want a DV ride, and a 2520 sized cockpit, I would seriously look for one of the 2520 DV's.
Be aware though... most owners hang on to these boats, and you will not find as many on the used market as you will the Gradys.

that's for sure... there's a 2005 2510XLD w/ twin 200HPDIs at a local contender dealer that they are asking 54k for.... seems like a lot really.

I find the 282 sailfish is a pretty close comparison to the 25 deep vees. I've ridden on a 1985 25' sailfish, and while it's an absolute rocket and a decent sea boat, it isnt a Seavee2 hull... THe seavee2 seems like a great comprimise of seaworthiness, fuel economy, and soft ride.

I *really* like the center consoles but I cannot justify one, since it lacks lockable storage for rods, etc. Again, the walkarounds sacrifice FAR too much usable fishing room.

I really love my parker, and i'm pretty sure i'm going to stick with parkers, since the grady has just too many cons, and the only pro is a saturated used market (which is also a con). Even the parker walkarounds have gobs of space...

there are a LOT of XL 16deg hulls out there on the used market, i can't imagine they ride that much better than my 14deg lead sled (mind you my lead sled doesnt have tabs)

I am VERY satisfied with the 2530DV ride. My prior boat was a Proline 25 Walk, 17 degree dead rise that pounded like a son of a gun. The parker ride is awesome and I have had it in some pretty rough stuff already. The key is obviously to go the right speed for the conditions. When headed directly into a head sea, you've got to slow down. Good luck!

My dad had a 91 2520 MV with no tabs. Last fall we picked up a 2520XL and there is a big difference. It seems like a totally different boat even though it is still 25 feet.

The extra weight, tabs, bracket and slightly more dead rise really do make a big difference. Would I want to run into a head see for 50 miles- no, but I know I could slow down enough, shut the door and ride relatively comfortably.

The step up from the 1991 MV to the 2005 XL was huge, I would imagine the DV would be even better. However, the step up from the XL to the XLD would not be as dramatic a change as coming from the MV if you get what I am saying.

The XL is not bad, but again it does depend on how you use the boat.

a great compromise is the Grady 232..... its 9'3" beam solid transom and a 2003 with twin 150 ..its nice...

But the cockpit is only good for 3- 4 after that its too tight.....

ill post a pick if you like but i think a Parker is just as good if not better value ...

Back