2520 Displacement weight or net tonnage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougmacf

Reaction score
For puposes of Coast Guard documentation (as Dale has done) or for logging time on a Master's License, what is the net tonnage of a 2520?

In my case, I have a 1989 2520 MV SC but I don't know if these models have either gained or lost significant displacement in the last 19 years as new construction techniques have evolved.

Thanks All

Slainte

Doug, I used 5 gt on my CG application and it was never an issue.

I think anything under 25 gt will suffice for a 25 gt ticket. 26 gt to 50 goes towards a 50 gt ticket.

If you want to be exact, call the factory at 252-728-5621 and get the 'official' displacement.

Doug,

On the USCG Sea Service Form that must accompany your application, there is a block for Gross Tons and Vessel Length. If the vessel is less than 25 GT you can just put <25 GT without worrying about the specific displacement. If this is your initial application, 1 day on the water as an Operator or Mate or Crew on a vessel greater than 40 ft will allow you to obtain a 50 GT Master License.

Capt. Jim":13qkemqs said:
Doug,
If this is your initial application, 1 day on the water as an Operator or Mate or Crew on a vessel greater than 40 ft will allow you to obtain a 50 GT Master License.

I wish that were the case, but for me they gave me a 25 gt masters ticket.
All of my time prior to applying happened to be on boats less than 50 gt.

Could be that each REC sees it differently.

This path will take you to the USCG Masters Licensing requirements for not more that 100 Gross Tons.

http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/checklists/master_100.pdf

I may be wrong on the over 40 ft will get you a 50 GT ticket (I was told this in the Captains School where I took the training and exams). I had time on a 49 footer rated at 15 GT which met the over 5 GT requirement for the higher rating. As Megabyte says, better check with the Regional Exam Center and get their interpretation to be sure.

Interesting...

I guess we'll see what happens at renewal since I have offshore time on a 55'er so far this year. :)

Thanks guys for all of your quick responses. I'm hoping to apply/test this Spring or early Summer.

The way things are shaping up here (Homeland Security-wise), I would expect CG licensing to get tougher and more restrictive as time goes by.

Attachments

• Project central.jpg
    Project central.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 918
Megabyte,

Qualifying for a 50 GT license if you had 1 day or more on the water on a vessel over 5 GT applied to the issuance of an Initial License. I am not sure what the requirements are for an upgrade (hopefully you don't have to have 360 days). Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Latest posts

Back