2520 dv or mv

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parker john

Reaction score
Thinking about buying a 2520 notched transom( need the notched transom
Account of weight isues for towing) looking to run 50+ miles off shore in NH.
Do i need DV ( 21 degree) or modified V ( 18 degree)

I have the modified v 2520 xl and boat in the same waters. I go out 35-40 miles 15+ times per year and in all kinds of seas. I have no problem going 25 knots in 1-2 foot seas and when they get bigger I just slow down. I like the stability of the MV when anchored or drifting. I also run a single 250 that is plenty of motor for me and it is pretty fuel efficient. The DV usually has twins and your fuel economy goes down. To me the decision was economics vs what I felt was a moderate improvement in heavy seas.

Boy, I am soooooooooooooooo confused by your wants ...

To me, I'd take ANY dead rise full-transom for an offshore boat before I'd opt for a notched transom. Fact is, per Boat/US files, > 20% of boats that sink annually are boats w/ notched transoms that get swamped. Mark Cahill, who owns the Reel-Time fishing website, owned a CC w/ a notched transom ... took a wave wrong offshore whilst cod fishing and the 21' boat, IIRC, sunk in seconds.

Like Inchin Irishman, I too have a mod-V 25' SC w/ a 250hp motor and I may get out there slower than 'go fasts' and the 32' deep-V CCs ... but when it is too rough to stand on my back deck to fish ... those other boats have already left for home.

My honest opinion is you wont see considerable rocking on the drift unless you are in a 24 degree boat. My Deep V 2320 rocks no more then my last boat which was 14 degree. I would never buy another boat that was less then 21 degree.
Go Deep Vee you wont be disappointed, and go with closed transom.

I'm with you miky2884 had a modified v grady in the late 80's my backs still hurting.

Ok! Im not sure if I should ask this question but here goes:
It seems that most everyone agrees on a full transom(bracket) is the way to go.
since the 2520xl or xld is out of my towing range. Is there any thoughts on the 2320sl full transom (brakcet) ?
I like my 2120. But is the 2320sl that much more boat than the 2120? As far as handling the nasty conditions is concerned??
Thanks!

My father inlaw has a 2120 and to be honest I think his boat rides better then my 2320 its like a little tank. However as far as room and comfort goes they don't compare the 2320 is a lot more boat. And the closed transom is a HUGE advantage. my .02

DaleH":17qy8jdn said:
[/b] Fact is, per Boat/US files, > 20% of boats that sink annually are boats w/ notched transoms that get swamped.

I suppose you could also look at it that 80% of boats that sink annually don't have notched transoms.

:lol:

Photoguy":30b4lgxv said:
I suppose you could also look at it that 80% of boats that sink annually don't have notched transoms.
Haha, maybe ... but the 80% include ANY boat that sinks at the dock when a thru-hull gives way or sinks as a result of a hurricane at sea or when in port.

It's not to say that notched transom boats aren't capable of offshore travel, but I sure wouldn't do so without a splashboard firmly in place.

I will also readily admit that as a Parker owner, it rattles me a bit when I hear people say "water will come in the scuppers when 3 of us walk down to the back deck" ... as that never happended to me even with 4 or 5 guys in the stern in my lowly mid-tier Pro-Line cuddy cabin/notched transom boat made in '78! And yes ... I had made and used a splashboard for offshore jaunts ...

^ was just pulling your leg.

I've had waves come over the transom while at anchor in my 2110. I always keep the gate in place.

As a 2520SC Mod-V owner ("01) I have to say it's a tough call. The MV does pound in any sea at all. Mine maybe more than others with the Volvo 5.7 (350 Chevy) and Duo-Prop outdrive hanging all that weight off the back. And the pilothouse helm being further foreward than the center consoles I've had before takes some getting used to. Plus the hull is so solid there is absolutely no "give" to soften the blow. But if you slow it down a little and learn to work both the the trim tabs and outdrive, it can be reduced to a level that can't be called smooth, but acceptable. I have never felt it was a large problem, especially after I went way out with a few friends who had larger big-buck Center Consoles and they slowed down too. I did hang with them for a while, but slowing a little more was a much better ride for me. But I'm talking only 3 to 5 MPH.

In return, the MV will use way less fuel. I don't know if it is the Fuel Injected 350, the Duo-Prop or the MV hull, but I get great milage from my set up. Much much less than the twin powered boats I run with, but close to the lighter single boats with the new Yami. Suzi's and Evo's I talk to. But I don't horse it hard like they do. It is way more stable bottom and drift fishing than any boat I've had, but it may be the beam, weight or hull as I have never been on a DV Parker to compare it to.

So you pays yer' money and takes your chances. Truth is, f I lived where you do fishing the canyons, the DV is a no brainer if your serious about going out in anything but a calm day. But If a good deal comes up in a MV and you can understand the compromise your making don't be afraid to buy it. Hard as you choose to pound it, you ain't gonna break it.

"Every ounce of pleasure has a drop of pain. Pay for your ticket and don't complain." B. Dylan, Sylvio.

miky2884":2vspukil said:
My father inlaw has a 2120 and to be honest I think his boat rides better then my 2320 .......

I have been on this board a long time and you hear that statement quite a bit from guys going from the 2120 to the 2320.

2120 has the exact same house, beam, bow and deadrise. Ride quality improvement for the 21 is due to riding 2 ft further aft on the pitch axis, and the hull squats less because the engine isn't hanging on a bracket.

All that being said I still prefer the closed transom, larger cockpit and larger fuel tank of the 2320.

Back