2520s, single or twin, extension or open transom???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
I have noticed a pattern regarding transom configuration and number of engines, and wonder if it is standard on the 2520s. I'm talking ninty's parker 2025s. If it were a single engine than it was usually on an open transom boat. That open transom boat wouldn't have been able to fit two engines on the transoms I saw. Did they make twin engine open transom Parker 2520s or If it was twin engine powered it was on an extension? Although one extension I saw with twins could have taken a single in that the upper holes were already set in place on the upper part of the transom.

I want a closed transom boat, so should I just search for twin engine Parkers with the search engines and forget about changing search engine to single engine and doing it over again? For example, as I recall boat trader has a search pattern for single or twin.

By my note most late 80s and then 90s boats I know of are single OB boats. And most OBs are on the brackets, less the early years. The early bracket was a single OB width, not even a swim platform like you find nowadays.

You will find modified vee's with both notched transoms as well as brackets.
As Dale said, the earlier boats had brackets that did not include the swim platform.
The previous owner of my boat added a custom built swim platform.
Newer boats have both single and twin brackets that include the swim platform.

Deep vee boats are generally found with twins because of the additional horsepower required to push those hulls.
Modified vee hulls can be had with twins, but are not as common because the MV hulls can be pushed easily with less horsepower.

As in all things, these are generalities.
We have a member here (Porkchunker) who has a 2510 MV mounted with twin 115 Yamahas.

First thing for you to do is decide on MV vs DV.
After that, decide on the boat you want by what power is mounted.
Look over the specifications of the boats on the Parker web site to see how they are available from the factory.
After that... start searching.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Hemmingways.jpg
    Hemmingways.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 638
'95 2530 MV Original power was carbed 2 stroke 250Hp yamaha [Not enough motor]

2_zps026283c5.jpg

warthog5":ukxa0d9j said:
'95 2530 MV Original power was carbed 2 stroke 250Hp yamaha [Not enough motor]

And this beauty does have the integral swim platform as part of the bracket.

Parker built a plethora of designs in the mid-90's.
Outboards (notched or on a bracket), I/O's, tunnel hull Inboards with small blocks, big blocks, and diesels.
Lots of choices.

Interesting that a 250 Yamaha on the 2520 wasn't enough power. Do you think a 250 Merc, 3L, efi would have been enough. I understand they have dyno tested at more than 250HP. Parker sold a lot of boats with the single 225 on them and later a 250.

I'm back searching again. The 1997 on which the couple had accepted my offer was bought out from under me by the marina owner selling it for them. Bummer.

fighterpilot":yys7ntgf said:
Interesting that a 250 Yamaha on the 2520 wasn't enough power.
You mis-read the post ... that was a Yam 250hp on the stern of a 2530 model, not the 2520. For a contrary opinion, my neighbor on the river I'm moored on wears an OX-66 EFI 250hp 2-stroke Yam on his 2530 and he has zero complaints about performance, less that the motor is thristy and LOVES fuel and oil!

But his rig wears a 4-blade PowerTech prop (since I turned him onto 4-blades for single OBs pushing big, heavy hulls) and Bennett 24" wide trim tabs. Those 2 additions made quite the difference in that boat ... and made it come ALIVE! Oh, and we also raised the motor up too.

My 2 biggest boating (all brands) pet peeves ... boats wearing the wrong props and OBs mounted too deep ...

My 1 biggest Parker boat pet peeve ... woefully too small trim tabs ...

fighterpilot":s1ro50jj said:

That isn't a 2520 you are seeing there, it's a 2530, and the old motor was carb'ed.

I stand corrected and relieved, since the 225 or 250 on a 2520 is common for a single and I am glad to hear that one is adequate. The boat I took out last week had twin 250s and it would fly.

DaleH, I note yours is a 1992. Robin from Parker, is response to my query regarding construction, noted they recognized the early Parkers weren't holding up to well being subject to wood rot on the underside the deck. She said they made some changes in construction starting 1991/1992. Dale how is yours holding up. Is the underside of the deck treated with resin or encased in fiberglass. Have you had any problems there? I looked at a 1989 and my camera showed rotten wood in the form of some sort of cross stringer and I saw a 1988 for sale and they noted they had rebuilt the whole deck. I know a survey would be in order, but should I also eliminate the early model Parker 2520 from my search? Thanks

Megabyte":8scu7xcs said:
fighterpilot":8scu7xcs said:

That isn't a 2520 you are seeing there, it's a 2530, and the old motor was carb'ed.

Yes....It was a OX-76.......The predecessor of the OX-66.

In looking at those for sale in the 90s model I notice a pattern. If a single, than an open transom. If twins than on an extension, closed transom. In fact I don't think I have seen any open transoms with twins. Looks as if I might have to buy one with twins to get the closed transom, or just be patient. Thanks

Agree, but two are above my 30,000 dollar budget and the other one has but a single 200 hp on it and that is underpowered for me to considered. Back to the ones 30,000 or less most of them in that age bracket seem to be twins/closed or single 225 open transom which is the way they were sold. I'm just saying that is what I have found in the under 30,000 dollar price range. If repowered than singles could have been used. I did find a single ox66 on a 1989 but it had wood rot pretty bad which I understand could be common up till about 1992 when Parker started treating the wood, at least that is what the Parker rep said.

Appreciate the suggestions. Wish I had more money. I had a 1997 lined up for 15,000 with a 2001 and a 2003 EFI mercs on it but after the "agent" found out the seller accepted my offer he didn't tell me but bought it himself. It is apparent that after we sea trialed it he was impressed too.

Thanks for the links and all the information provided thus far.

Looked at a 1998 2520 DV with twin Carb. Evinrude 200s on it today. Tied up at the dock it was really rocking with a side swell. Was that because it was a DV versus a MV which would have the flatter stern?

Well..You'll just have to keep looking to find that deal....Don't expect it to jump in your lap. Lot's of work and be able to travel far.

Agree on the looking. Flew to Charlotte NC a week ago and been to Bay St. Louis Miss the week before that.

Any thoughts on DV versus MV tied up at dock. Will a side swell make one rock more than the other? Is it fair to assume the DV will rock more in side swell because stern not as flat or to be more precise has more deadrise there? Isn't the bow of the Parkers very close to being the same regarding DV versus MV? Very moderate side swell, gentle rocking motion on a DV we were aboard was noticeable. It would have rocked you to sleep if you wanted to take a nap. Thanks

good morning I have a 1987 25ph with 200 merc efi saltwater it pushes that baby plenty fast but like everyone says they are thirsty only has 80 gal tank I need to find a good 75 gal combo seat and tank had one on my dusky can't find any help ?

thanks
john may

... give me $30 grand ca$h and my boat is yours ...

92 model a little old for me. My benchmark is a 1997 with twin Merc EFI 250s and new Galv. trailer with Kodiak surge hydraulic disc brakes for $20,000. That is what I had bought but the shady agent decided he wanted it and didn't tell me my offer had been accepted. He bought it. Now I realize that probably was once in a hundred and will probably have to go $25,000 to find something like that again but one with twin 200 or so maybe I can find for $22,000. But thanks for the offer.

Back