2520XL Nervous Buyer

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMR

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new here, just found the site and started poking around. Are any of you on Tractorbynet.com? That is another great forum for tractoring.

OK, here is the deal. I bought a 2010 brand new 2520XL yesterday. I have been admiring this boat for while and finally made the deal. I have been on one diving a couple times and fishing a couple times and loved it. As I started looking around I hear many folks bashing the ride pretty hard.

My use for the boat is this. I will keep it in Niantic CT and will mostly fish from it running an average of 12 miles per trip or so. This is LI sound and you get 1 to 2's pretty frequently. I don't need to race to my spot but like to have a good ride, speed is not critical. I will do a lot of drift fishing, some trolling and some anchoring. I will also bring the wife and my 3 yo and 5 yo out for cruises on the weekends as well. Maybe running up to 30 miles to Block Island a couple times a year. I really like the deck space and the protection of the pilot house. I am coming from an 18' Hydrasports CC.

OK, is the ride bad enought I should cancel the deal? AM I feeling buyers remorse. I feel very good about the boat and look forward to fishing and swimming from it this summer.

Anyway, thank you for your thoughts.

Ah, Buyer's Remorse.... I can taste it now.

Don't worry, you made a fine decision. We've got a 2520 as well, and use it exclusively in Buzzard's Bay, which is famous for its nasty short chop of 1-4 feet. Its a fine ride, and will be better on the drift than a DV. Remember, you are coming from a CC boat where you sit pretty far aft, which damps the pounding. In the PH, you'll be forward more, so you'll feel it much more. When you have the little ones out, just bury the bow with the tabs if it gets too lively. You'll lose some speed, and make more spray/wake, but it'll be much more comfortable for the kids.

Everyone likes to bash what they don't have. Hyundai owners bash Toyota costs, Toyota owners bash Hyundai quality, Mercedes owners bash BMW's harsh ride, BMW owners bash Mercedes numb ride. Rolex owners bash Omega watches' gaudiness, Omega owners bash Rolex simplicity. The key is that you have been on the same boat, and liked it. Don't doubt your experiences.

Thank you for your thoughts. I guess writing a check for $95,000 and not reading anything but perfect reviews does put a pit in your belly. I have to say that my Hydrasports pounded terribly, it was pretty wide for its length and I think that did the trick.

I am very excited for this boat because I spend most of my Friday nights bobbing around in the Race and resetting drifts every few minutes.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. If I should cancel the deal let me know (just fooling)!

That HydraSports suffers from what a lot of boats do now-a-days, just like most Americans. They've gotten too wide.
My boss has a 1973 21' SeaCraft, and that thing cuts through waves like you'd never believe. Why? Its 21' long, and 7' and change wide. Sure, there's not room for two people to pass next to the console, and the console isn't big enough to shelter 2 comfortably. However, the boat can slice through 6' chop without ever skipping a beat.

Like I said, you can find dissenting opinions on everything. Its just like buying a house. You have to set your priorities and stick to your budget. Nothing is ever perfect, everything is a compromise. You just have to make compromises that you can live with, and to heck with everyone else.

Did you sea trial the boat yet?

Personally I would never sign the deal on a boat I did not ride.

What was the difference in cost for a DV?

You should be fine with the boat, but that is a lotta coin to be asking those questions now, just sayin. :mrgreen:

Maybe I'll see you out there someday, and make sure you come to the CT/NY get together this year.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6818

Bryan 2530":2rbvjmda said:
Did you sea trial the boat yet?

Personally I would never sign the deal on a boat I did not ride.

What was the difference in cost for a DV?

You should be fine with the boat, but that is a lotta coin to be asking those questions now, just sayin. :mrgreen:

Maybe I'll see you out there someday, and make sure you come to the CT/NY get together this year.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6818

DV hull owner spotted. :p

Ride quality is quite subjective. It has been covered at great length here. I have a 2520XL and have found it to be quite acceptible on and outside Narragansett Bay. When it gets rough I slow down to a rate that provides a more comfortable ride. If you are concerned about damaging the structure of the boat, check out the Parker factory tour ont their website as well as this site. I have been to Beaufort and walked through the plant. They are put together extremely well and the grid system distributes the shock load much more evenly than a two stringer system.

Some members here have installed shock mitigating seat systems with quite positive results, but this has been after several years of ownership.

I have been in 6 to 8 footers with a long period that have been more comfortable than 1 to 2's with a short period. No matter the boat construction type or hull shape, good seamanship trumps all.

Hope this helps you and your family enjoy your new boat.

Thanks guys. No, I did not sea trial the exact boat I am buying. I spent two half days diving from one and I had two trips with a friend of a friend. In that short time it is hard to know how it will react in other conditions, that is why I am looking for some advice. From what I have seen it is a fine ride but both all those days out were pretty nice, seas less than 2' or 2.5', but confused in some rips and it appeared to be just fine.

Thanks for your thoughts, keep 'em coming.

sparky":2dn8re8z said:
DV hull owner spotted. :p

True, but I came from a 25' Whitewater. 8)

24 degree, 8ft beam vs. 21 degree 9.5ft beam, personally I wouldn't go any less.

I also have a 20 Seacraft SF so technically my 2530 is the worst headsea boat I have owned but, its a totally different animal.

DV vs. MV has been discussed to death here so there is no right answer, you need to figure out your use first then weigh the options.

Pilot house is nice though. :mrgreen:

sounds like the perfect boat for the boating you describe.

Jeez, MV 2520s are fetching 95k these days? Parkers must be appreciating better than Rolex watches which is a good thing IMO.

GrouperJim said the exact same thing that I was going to comment upon. WOW, a 25 Parker is now fetching $95k!! Holy moly.

I never would have guessed that a company that traces it's origin to a simple workboat for commercial watermen of NC to now being a near $100k yacht.

Not sure if the price thing is taboo here. On the tractoring website there is a lot of talk of pricing.

Anyway, the boat, 2nd station, rocket launchers, spreader light, electric head, lounge seat, radio, dive ladder, raw water wash, anchor, etc. etc. Garmen 4210, radar, GPS, FF, paint, fuel, reg, out the door, tax included about $92 or so, figure the slip another $3

I hate to do this to you, but I cannot recommend the XL model. I read all I could on this hull, then test road one on a crappy day outside Niantic, CT. It was during a demo-day at Boats Inc. in Niantic, CT.

I left feeling unsatified and not happy with the ride for the chop we get in our area. For some reason the guys at Boats Inc. really push the XL hulls. I don't understand why.

Afterward I knew the DV was the model I wanted, and have owned one for 6 seasons.

Again, sorry to add confusion to your decision making process, but I just wanted to give you the opinion of someone who is going thru what you are.

If you would like to talk with me personally, drop me a PM and I'll give you my Cell phone #.

Is this the boat at boats inc thats right as you walk through the door to the back show room?

John_Madison CT":3p9kaqqg said:
I hate to do this to you, but I cannot recommend the XL model. I read all I could on this hull, then test road one on a crappy day outside Niantic, CT. It was during a demo-day at Boats Inc. in Niantic, CT.

I left feeling unsatified and not happy with the ride for the chop we get in our area. For some reason the guys at Boats Inc. really push the XL hulls. I don't understand why.

Afterward I knew the DV was the model I wanted, and have owned one for 6 seasons.

Again, sorry to add confusion to your decision making process, but I just wanted to give you the opinion of someone who is going thru what you are.

If you would like to talk with me personally, drop me a PM and I'll give you my Cell phone #.

My buddy owns an XL
And he wishes he had the DV also
Just my 2cnts :roll:

D/V!!!! If Parker would have produced a deeper vee than what is offered, I would have purchased it when I purchased our 2520 D/V (2005). twin f-150's. Either way you are making such short trips the Parker will provide an excellent platform for your situation with kids and all.

You just purchased a really terrific boat!
I own a 2520XL that I bought new in 2004 from Boats Inc. I cannot speak for anyone else but my experience with them was great - excellent support even after moving the boat to SE Florida.
I had the boat in Narragansett Bay for 3 years and now in SE Florida for more than 3 years. I have NEVER felt unsafe in this boat, it is remarkably well made. My Parker has been in a wet slip for more than three years without a problem.
All boats are a compromise, you just have to make sure the compromise suits you well. Just choosing a Parker is a compromise. It's not speed demon and outside of those on this site it is not considered particularly sexy.
As far as the XL model, there are several advantages. The XL is very economical to run - more so than a deep V. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no understanding of physics. It performs well with a single engine and therefore requires less maintenance than twins. It is very stable on the drift or on the hook. It won't snap roll. Its an ideal platform for swimming or diving. In Florida, my diver friends always want to take my boat. In terms of the ride you need to remember that these are 25 foot boats with the helm very far forward. None of them will ride like a 30-plus footer. The 2520XL tracks very well and predictably in difficult conditions such as current and following seas - a problem with many deep V's. If you slow down when it gets sloppy, the ride will be fine. If you are like me, the boat is a source of pleasure - I do not go out when it's blowing and the waves are up.
I had some concern about moving the boat to SE Florida as many of the boats down here are deep V center consoles with multiple engines. Now that my Parker has been here for a while I think it is a perfect Florida boat. It is economical to run in a very expensive area, it has protection from the sun, it's cooler in the pilot house than out on the deck, it is a very stable platform and I can open the front windows to get a fantastic clear view (with a cool breeze) while running. When I am on my way back home in the summer it is not uncommon for me to run by a center console filled with bikinis and bad sunburns!
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, you made an excellent choice!

AMR,

The 2520 XL is a great boat, All boats have trade offs. I bought a 2004 2420 XL and the past 6 years I've run out of Gloucester MA. I run to Stellwagon Banks three or four times a week. 15 mile run. I have a single 225 four stroke duel stations. Now that is what I wanted, economical and low maintenance. Now if it's really rough and it starts to pound I can move to the 2nd station and it's like running a center console. If I wanted a deep V for a little smoother ride I was taking two engines but I would be giving up the stable platform the 2520XL gives me. Fishing for cod in 200' you could not ask for a more stable platform. Good luck on what ever you decide. Just feel good you bought a great boat.

Cheerios

Back