2520XL Nervous Buyer

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make that $95K !!

I can tell you this much, the guys at Boats Inc., in CT, who are selling AMR this boat put up quite the story on how well the XL model rides. Pure B.S. IMO.

I stand by my ascertion, I would not buy this boat.

Hey guys, yes, absolutely bought the boat, having been on three full day trips on XL's before in the exact places I will be and having solicited pros and cons first hand from other owners it is no question the right move for me.

Now the next big question, do I sell my other boat. It would be tough to give up fresh water all together. While I love striper fishing smallmouth fishing is pretty fun also.

AMR,
Congrats on your new boat from a fellow XL owner. Glad to hear you were out a few times in an XL so you did sea trial to some degree. Hope it was choppy. It will drift and anchor much more stable than a DV and you'll save on fuel. Trim it down and slow it down if it gets that tight chop. Pick your days for the wife and kids. I had higher expectations for the ride in my XL initially, but now that I understand exactly what it can do comfortably in what conditions I really love the boat. I put 60-100 miles on the boat some weekends. Relax and enjoy your new boat. After all it's only $100,000! :mrgreen:

Hey AMR,

I'm at boats inc with you. I have a 23se.... Your ride is more than adequate for what it seems like you will be doing. We also have a 257 grady cc (more comparable in size top your parker) that we have taken as far as Nantucket.

You will love it.

Pete

Congrats on the new boat!!!!

What is the old one? I would keep it, can never have too many boats. 8)

See you out there, what is the vessels name?

Thanks guys, yes I am excited, and hey, it can't be that bad a decision, there are a lot of these things around.

I had a 2000 Hydrasports 180CC with a 150 HP Evinrude on it, that is pretty much sold. I have a Starcraft 16' laker with a 15 HP four stroke yamaha, I am going to sell the boat and trailer but keep the motor. My baby is a 2008 Alumacraft Dominator 175 with a 150 hp ETEC, 70 pound 24 V bow mount minn kota, keeping or selling this boat is a really tough decision, it is awesome just to kick around lakes with it. I live way out in Western CT so it is a really good boat for swimming at Zoar, fishing Bantam, Candlewood and I used to fish the Quabbin until all of this zebra mussel business.

As for names, that is a really tought thing for me to figure out, that could be its own website. I have always thought I would name my boat "Talisman", everyone thinks it is silly, anyone care to comment on that?

AMR":3izcgb5a said:
Now the next big question, do I sell my other boat. It would be tough to give up fresh water all together. While I love striper fishing smallmouth fishing is pretty fun also.

If you can afford to keep it... I would.
I love SMB and LMB fishing too! :D

AMR,

You mentioned Zoar, Bantam, and Candlewood. I can spit to Candlewood from my backdoor. I'm in New Milford and the XL's in Bridgeport. If you want to fish out of Bpt. sometime you're more than welcome. What kind of electronics did you rig her with? Mike

stonebuster,

Yes, I live in Woodbury and would love to fish out of Bridgeport sometime. The area I know best is from Black Point to Charleston, I started fishing there in the early 90's when I used to launch out of Barne Island. I really started in the CT River when you could net alwives and herring and catch stipers all day long, I fished from Enfield to Hartford. That was incredible fishing. Bans on using that bait have made it harder to catch bass in the river in the spring. Because of that fishing I got hooked on stripers. Since I was a little kid I fished Maine, all over CT and a lot at the Quabbin for bass. In fact I had a boat specifically rigged for Quabbin fishing, a nice 16' lund pro-sport with a 20, I used to log 20 trips a a year or more there. Kids and moving to Western CT and now that zebra mussle thing makes it hard to get on there. My parents live on East Grand Lake in Maine so I have incredible smallmouth fishing whenever I feel like making the drive.

I would love to learn more about the sound and find new places to fish. I love the sound around fishers, the race, watch hill, etc. but it is a good drive from woodbury for sure. That is another reason why I may keep my Alumacraft, it is a quick trip to Candlewood or Bantam for bass after work with the kids.

Anyway thanks for reaching out and I hope to see you out there.

Oh, electronics, well I have always been a lowrance dude but I am putting the Garmin 4212 on there with sonar and the small radar and I got the G2 vision card.

I may buy the smaller 4210 and mount it on the second station and network it to the 4212 because I can see doing a lot of fishing by myself and using the 2nd station when I am tube and worming and stuff, I am going to wait and see how well I can see the 4212 on the dash in the pilot house. Like any other fisherman I feel funny when I don't have my eyes on the sonar always looking for structure, that may be more of a hold over from freshwater fishing for bass.

Alan

My two cents-

Got my 2005 2520xl w/250 Yamaha last March from Boats Inc.
Own a 224 Mako, and 29' Blackfin Combi, at that time.
My budget was 50K MAX.
I put 400 hrs. on my boats per year.
We're pushing $4 / gal at the moment.
I could't afford the DV with twins on my budget.
It's dry and as economical as you can get 13-14 gals/hr at cruise, 21knot about, depending on the day, conditions, wind,tide,etc.
This is with the boat completely loaded with fuel, lots of ice,water,and fishing gear to the max.
Ran the crap out of the boat last year, $6000.00 in fuel.
I love it, roomy,safe,dry, stable.
Had boats all my life.
But....., in a head sea, 2-4, 3-5, it's the worst ride I've ever had.
It's a trade off, wanted a single outboard engine.
Not sorry, I knew what I was getting into, it's all about what you can afford, and operating costs, which was most important for me, with heavy use.
There is no question, I love my boat, and it really sucks in a head sea......

Reel Job

I can understand the second guessing. I am looking to move up to a 2520 within the next 5 years. I have a 1986 Mako 21b right now.
I love the 21, but it can be pretty tough when it gets to blowing. It is all about feathering that throttle. The way I see it, the 2520 will easily be a huge step up in ride from
my 21. I prefer the single engine, and the platform off the back. We would be using it in flats, as well as a bit off shore. What is the saying? Buy the boat that fits 90% of your needs, not 10%. I guess would love to think I am some hardcore off-shore guy. Reality is, we never leave sight of land.

LI Sound is a bit different than Tampa Bay though.

I love hearing about all the areas up there. I grew up in Simsbury, and we have a house on Bashan Lake in Moodus. I am up there every summer wakeboarding and fishing.

I would love to trade states with you, the weather here has been pretty nasty

I am happy to say my buyers remorse is now behind me and now I am fired up looking forward to a fun summer fishing and with the family

We'll see for sure after a summer of use but I am thinking it is going to be a 99% fit right now, if not I am pretty adaptable and I will make it fit and probably not recognize the difference

Back