2520XL pivots on the anchor while adjacent boats do not????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludicrous40

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the following and could provide any explanation or suggestions for improvement. This is a common occurrence for me, so hopefully I can learn something here.

Anchored in ~200ft, have ~450ft rode out. The tide was running to the south, and the wind was nearly the opposite out of the south east. We are tuna fishing on the hook with balloons. In this condition the balloons want to go with the tide in the general direction of the anchor rode. The boat is positioned by the wind with the bow facing southeasterly. So as we are sitting there the boat pivots as if the tide/wind conditions are changing, but none of the boats around me experience this same pivot. The end result is having to manage the balloons/baits wanting to be on the other side of the anchor rode. We make the appropriate adjustments with the rods/baits, and then she pivots back after a short time causing the same problem but on the other side...... I can chalk it up to a goofy tide/wind situation as this does not occur through all situations of the tide, but the boats around me aren't having the same problem. We opened the windows to minimize the sail effect of the cabin, but it didn't seem to completely resolve the issue. Also try using the outboard as a rudder with no success.

I have a single ETec 300, 3 guys in the cockpit, a large cooler with ~200lbs ice, full 40gallon live well, ~100 gallons of fuel. I know she is generally bow heavy due to the bilge water in the forward bilge, but I have decent weight in the back. What is going on here? Will a longer rode give me more stability, why is my boat moving all over place facing different directions than everyone else on the hook?

Definitely not slipping. I have ~20' of heavy chain. It almost feels like doing a powerslide in the snow with rear wheel drive. It's like the stern is just swinging around.

We marked some tuna, landed a 5' porbeagle shark (tasty!). It is still early up here..

I had ~400 feet of rode to a ball, then about 50ft of poly to the boat. I'm thinking that I'm too steep, and should have ~600ft rode, and 100ft of poly. But again, I'm definitely not slipping, I just want to limit the powerslide.

I have a 2320 and it does the same thing. I have noticed if I turn my motor one way or the other the back end will swing the direction the motor's turned more.

Motor is down.

Went out this weekend, used +600' rode, maybe it was better, but you all know that conditions are different every time. I did do the powerslide a couple times, but I'm going to stick with the longer rode and see how it goes.

Depending on tide you might consider trying to bridle it, this way you would have lines running straight off the port or starboard. We used this trick when I worked on head boats which made for easier fishing. :wink:

Lucky John":2o34uko8 said:
Depending on tide you might consider trying to bridle it, this way you would have lines running straight off the port or starboard. We used this trick when I worked on head boats which made for easier fishing. :wink:

Can you explain how to setup the bridle?

Not sure what anchor our using, but that can make a big difference. I'm partial to a Bruce claw but there's a lot of great anchors out here. I like to go up one size rating to the next size boat. We ran a 25' bruce claw with 50' of chain and 300' of road, for sleeping on the hook for a 22' boat. 7 to 1 slope is what most anchors are engineered for. You can get away with less slope with more chain. I agree with the previous responses, your angle is too steep and your anchor wont bite.

Back