2530...........twin outboards or diesel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

Reaction score
What would you choose ?????

Speed is an advantage in getting to the fishing grounds before any one else but getting there & saving piles in fuel & lucking out on the tail end of the bite, seems worth it ............what ya think

Slow rides, more comfortable offshore in the bigg rollers EH???

Personally I am a fan of a well maintained down east single diesel hull. Most of your commercial applications are in this set up. The ride is usually better due to a lower center of gravity and semi displacement planing vs a full planing hull. Usually more efficient in a comparable size vessel. The low end torque is also huge on a diesel, so they will ride all day with out jockeying the throttle on those big swells. However I think most importantly is that diesel's flash point is so much higher then gas, you can actually put a match out by pouring diesel on it, not so much with gas. My greatest fear offshore is fire.

I was told by the seller that Parker is not selling IO's as a factory option...................iz this true ????

Yep true.

Forum member Blue Sky has a 2530 that he retroffited with a diesel. I would love to do a side by side comparison with my boat and his, I bet that diesel powerplant is a tank.

Personally , you can't go wrong either way with a 2530 but the inboard would provide a source of heat in your neck of the woods.

Diesel top speed would put you probably mid 30s. Twin top speed would put you low to mid 40's. Fuel economy 1.4-2.0 depending on load. Not sure on fuel economy for the diesel but im sure better. Just have to decide if you can work on diesels. Not saying they arent as popular but is probably harder to sell in inboard in the 25' range.

BradV":30pjkjzd said:
Diesel top speed would put you probably mid 30s. Twin top speed would put you low to mid 40's. Fuel economy 1.4-2.0 depending on load. Not sure on fuel economy for the diesel but im sure better. Just have to decide if you can work on diesels. Not saying they arent as popular but is probably harder to sell in inboard in the 25' range.

One thing that sucks is that engine cover that minimizes that fighting room cockpit

I often go offshore on a steiger with a volvo.diesel. Very economical...

However, I think I may rather have the luxury of 2 twins...for those of you fishing offshore, one of the biggest fears is losing power...with twins (hoping its not a fuel related problem) you have some back up

Both the diesels and yammy 4strokes are extremely reliable...in the end maintanence costs and such on a single diesel will be less $$$

The owner of the house where I dock my boat has a 2510 with the diesel I/O option.
Great power and as said top speed in the low to mid 30 range. Fuel econony is somewhere around 5-6 GPH cruising. The engine is the D-Tronic Mercriuser model connected to a Bravo 3 outdrive.
maintenance is really not that high. Filters are the most important factor along with the internal zincs.
It is a 2002 model and has never needed any mojor repairs.

Just a great all around boat.

We have a member here who is local to me and owns a 2520 with a big-block inboard. (Knot Many)
If I had a choice, I'd love to have that boat and drop a diesel in it.

2520 and 2530 (tunnel hull) inboard Parkers are very, very rare... but if you have one (especially the 2530 model), you have the perfect candidate for a diesel conversion.

I think Capt. Larry's one of a kind 2830 diesel jackshaft is going on sale soon. I've been on it, you can eat off the engine block.

i'd buy that boat in a heartbeat if i can swing the finances...

Megabyte":1xfl3k0m said:
2830 diesel...?!
Oh my...! 8)

your anal retentive nature would fall in love with the electronics on that boat. i think it has a 36mi open array radar too haha...

besides thats a jersey boat...that much boat would be a waste on you silly people south of the mason dixon.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CaptainJim":28aftg4f said:
your anal retentive nature would fall in love with the electronics on that boat. i think it has a 36mi open array radar too haha...

besides thats a jersey boat...that much boat would be a waste on you silly people south of the mason dixon.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A 36nm open array radar is "on my list".
I refuse to compromise and install a dome.
Of course... that is why I am still radar-less. :D

I think that boat would feel right at home here on the Bay.
Annapolis to the CBBT would be do-able! :)

Megabyte":2o7zyvuq said:
A 36nm open array radar is "on my list".
I refuse to compromise and install a dome.
Of course... that is why I am still radar-less. :D

I think that boat would feel right at home here on the Bay.
Annapolis to the CBBT would be do-able! :)
small boat radars suck in my opinion, not just because the dome sucks, but the distance from the boat to the water is so very little.

My headboat had a marginal open array jrc, but the distance off the water made all the difference. I could pick off lobster pots at night at .25 miles...

If you can find one, Diesel can give you lifetime durabilty and if you use boat regularly three or more days a week, you will spend next to nothing on fuel in comparison to twin outboards ,Immunity from ethanol gas!!! Are slower than outboards but will get you to and from your destination safely much less to go wrong and are more reliable.
I have twin 225 2 strokes extremely fast close to 53 Knots on 14 Degree MV Hull on dead flat seas but have to slow down to 20 Knots to 13 Knots in 3' seas or greater and use Trim tabs , I spend alot on fuel but i only get out less than ten times a year . So cheaper 2 strokes are fairly reliable and work very well for me. I would love to have 28 ' Downeast
pilot house with twin inline six cylinder cummins and be able to get ot three or more days a week.

Back