2530XL w/ Twin Yamaha 150s

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickt09

Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm looking for some help. I've read all through these but haven't found a direct reference. I have an 06 Parker 2530 XL that the engines are buried deep and I'm experiencing some slip and slug. I am in Florida and run the boat very heavy due to traveling far offshore. I also have installed the permatrims which did help with hole shot/planing. I have stock trim tabs and cannot go any bigger without modding more than I am comfortable with. I really would like to put the appropriate prop on there for overall efficiency, good speed, good efficiency, etc. I am raising my motors up bc my Permatrims is nearly a foot underwater. However it seems like a prop change is necessary no matter what. That said, anyone with this set up have a recommendation for new props?
Thanks so much for any help

What is the top rpms?

What prop are you using now?

Where is cavitation plate? It is should be right at the water level. As a rule of thumb it should be 1 inch above the hull for every 12 inches back.

If your cavitation plate is under water you might get better performance if you raise the motor. Having said that, I don't know if the dealer is responsible for that. Dealers do not necessarily set the boat up at optimal performance. The motor is where they put it, and the prop you get is what they put on it. Most of the time, you can improve the performance on your boat with a different prop, and setting the engine height correctly.

comment from Ken at PropGods in Tampa

Thanks for reply Ken. I can go 25 @ 4900 RPM (1.6 MPG) and that's close to WOT. I may be able to get close to 30 in the 5300-5500 range but it would need to be like glass. I'm running whatever the stock Yamaha 150s came with (3 blade).I am having the motors raised this week to the highest setting given the amount of weight I carry. Based on what I've read, it does sound like engine height adjustment PLUS a new prop are ideal. Just looking for guidance on the specific prop (s) that work best with my set up. Thanks again for any help

WOW ! That thing is a PIG!.......Start with raising the motors..... Do NOT buy props until you raise the motors and find your new RPM.

WHAT are the prop spec's? You have to know where you are , before you know where to go.....

But what you have now was never set up properly at the dealer. Plus all that weight.

With the motors all the way down...Your creating a bunch of extra drag.... It sounds like your pitch is to high right now also.....But could also be the dia.

Sounds like your Paying someone to raise your motors.. :(. Raising them ALL the way up may not be the answer either?

It's experimentation. For example..... My DF-300APX Suzzy is not at the top.

100_5005_zps143e0635.jpg

Nick
I Have the same boat. I found with the 150s I was running(and I run it pretty heavy also) I had to go down to a 14 5/8x 15 Apollos. You should wind up with WOT of about 35 MPH or so and 5800 - 5900. I also ran a set of Merc Enertias in a 17". Could not get quite the rpm I was looking for in the 17s though. If I had it to do over I would of gotten another set of Enertias in a 15 pitch. I cant tell you for sure what hole I had them mounted in but I am thinking they were second from the bottom. If yours came the same way my 07 did it has a set of black stainless 17 pitch props on it The Enertias are a way different blade and helped the hole shot a bunch.
I always thought the 150s were underpowered for my boat and just put a set of Suzuki 200s on it. Quite a big difference in acceleration.
Good luck

Thanks so much for that reply. Very helpful. Do you recall what your MPG consumption was on the 150s w the new prop? And what was your cruising speed/RPM?
I'm really glad to hear you went to 200s bc I too feel like the boat is underpowered. Do the new 200s weigh equal to or less than the 150s so you aren't even more sluggish? Now what's your performance look like? Great feedback, thank you so much

I would say cruise was about 25 or so burning about 17GPH or so. Never really payed to much attention to the fuel burn as it just is what it is and it changes so much depending on the conditions. I am pretty sure that you need a 15 pitch prop on the 150s to run decent but I only tried a couple sets. I also had problems with some ventilation (cavitation) on my port motor that I found to be the factory raw water pick up causing it. Changed out the high speed clam shell type to a flat screen and that fixed that
The new 200s are about 20 lbs or so heavier (not sure but close I think).
I am still kinda messing with motor height and stuff but I have a thread in this section with how they ran out initially.

Back