2820 how much truck do I need?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuellevellow

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade from the 2530 to a 2820 and have some concerns about my TV. I have a very very high horse power 2004 Chevy 2500HD diesel crew cab. What are you 28 owners using to pull your boat? Most trips will be less then 20 miles. Will I need any upgrades to my truck?

That was quick, didn't you get the 2530 this year? 2820 sounds nice.

I would say your truck sounds fine, make sure you have a good trailer and you should be alright. What is the weight of the 2820??
I tow my 2530, twin 200's dual axle trailer with a Hemi 1500 and it tows great. I don't go far but I would feel comfortable if I did.

A Chevy 2500HD diesel crew cab should be sufficient to pull a 2820.
But... we'd love to see photos of that boat and tow rig. :)

The trailer is just as important as the truck in my opinion!
Get a triple axle trailer with brakes in all axles !

The Chevy should be more than adequate to tow the 28'. I bought a 28' last sept. and tow it with an F250 which does just fine. I have a 12,500 LoadRite bunk trailer, triple axle, disc brakes on all axles.

Thanks guys I will make sure I get the right trailer.

Anyone know of a very low hour 2820 for sale?

Joe

Fuellevellow":3hk5k87l said:
Thanks guys I will make sure I get the right trailer.

Anyone know of a very low hour 2820 for sale?

Joe

Go on thehulltruth.
Lots of Parkers listed there!
There is a 2006 28ft

I tow from Northern VA to OBX with a F-350 diesel. I get about 9mpg. The capicity on the truck is 12500 lbs. I estimate about 12000 for the boat- motor-trailer, with full fuel and gear. The truck works hard. If I had it to do over I'm not sure I would make the same decision. That is a lot of weight to regularly trailer. You should be ok, but think it through carefully.

Just for info, I tow my 2520XLD with twin 150's with a 2006 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax and Allison 6 speed tranny. The weight of my boat on the trailer with all the goodies is probably around 10.5 -11K. The hitch that came with my truck was only rated at 7500 lbs (pretty stupid really). I got rid of that and put a heavy duty "Tow Beast" hitch rated at 12.5K on with air bags. My truck tows it wtih absolutely no problems with room to spare. I would think that if your hitch is sufficient and your within the limits of the truck you'd have no problems. I tow about 70 miles round trip. Randy.

Back