300 HP on a 2120?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatcir

Reaction score
Not saying I am doing it, but looks to me that the 300 HP Yammy V6 Four Stroke Offshore only weighs 558 pounds vs my current single 150 HP Four Stoke which weighs 476 pounds so WEIGHT WISE I could double my HP for 82 pounds. Amazing.

Naturally, my transom could end up embedded in my back, but wow on the new high HP weight savings...........................Pete

Yamaha will offer the new 4.2-liter Offshore F-series outboards rated at 225, 250 and 300 horsepower. Each has a dry weight (no oil or prop) of 558 pounds with a 25-inch shaft, or 51 pounds less than the previous-generation 3.4-liter Offshore V6 models, and a very significant 246 pounds less than the previous Offshore F300, which used the 5.3-liter V8 powerhead and was simply too heavy for most applications in the 300-hp range. For comparison, the Mercury Verado 300 weighs 635 pounds, and the 4.0-liter Suzuki DF300 weighs 580 pounds. You could still go lighter with a two-stroke, however. The Evinrude E-TEC 300 weighs just 528 pounds and remains the lightest regular-production motor that rating. The Mercury OptiMax 250 weighs just 505 pounds. The weight of the two-strokes also does not include a prop or the oil reservoir and oil.

Cant do it.
Parker's top HP for a 2120 is a 225.
My 200 makes my boat scoot along quite nice. :D
MJ.

theres a difference between "cant", "unadvisable to" and "legally forbidden to." Parker falls under the last category, however the powers that decide these things have determined it, 225 is the max. after the boat is delivered to the customer, as long as it is a private boat and not used for commercial or passenger purposes, im pretty sure you can do whatever you want with it, although you assume the additional liability if something were to go wrong. also, you would probably run into problems if you were ever to sell the boat. however, it definitely falls under the "unadvisable to" category. that much power on a 21 and things could go south REAL quick. as far as "cant"... hell, with a few wrenches and an engine lift, it probably wouldnt even be too hard :lol:

still wouldnt do it though :wink:

Well I said originally "Not saying I am doing it" and I do know better for safety, insurance, resale, cost and all kinds of sane reasons that it should not be done.

Just amazes me that the 300 HP is only 82 pounds heavier than my 150 HP. To get 100% (150 to 300) more HP for a 17% (476 to 558 lbs.) weight increase is unbelievable. Sure would put some wind in my hair if I had any..................Pete

I know what you're saying Pete. That new Offshore 300 really has me interested...
Not that I'd want to give up my old reliable 225 hp OX66 anytime soon.
Just saying... that new motor has 'potential' written all over it, and my boat is rated for 335 hp. :wink:

gotta say that F300 offshore has me interested as well.. however a more modest F250 offshore would probably suit me better...

that being said my hpdi is pretty damned reliable and looks brand new... even if my motor blew up tomorrow, repowering with a $20k motor doesnt make financial sense to me when I can put a new powerhead on the HPDI for around 3k.

Any boat over 20ft is not required to have a USCG capacity plate by law. If it is over 20ft then you can put whatever you want on it. It only has a manufacturer recommended HP.

This is how potato chip thin bass boats carry so much HP.

Progressive insurance will also cover it.

Back