300 Suzuki repower on a 2520 DV notch transom

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishinfireman

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I got the motor and got the slow running break-in time done in the wee hours of Wednesday morning just in time to pick up my charter for that day. I fished Wed, Thurs, Fri, and today.

I am very impressed with the motor but it is over propped for my boat. The dealer supplied the 16 x 18.5 prop and I can only turn 5250. A 17 pitch is on the way so I will update when I run the new prop.

The last few days were bumpy on the Gulf but the fuel burn was considerably less than my old OX66 250. The noise from the motor is a lot less and easier to listen to, more of a growl instead of a scream.

The controls and gauges are great. The handling at the dock is improved and the motor is whisper quiet until you shower down on the throttle, then it becomes a nicely muffled beast.

I will try to keep good records and post the fuel burn and speed numbers when I get her set up right.

Fishinfireman":2q5d5ehw said:
Just wanted to say that I got the motor and got the slow running break-in time done in the wee hours of Wednesday morning just in time to pick up my charter for that day. I fished Wed, Thurs, Fri, and today.

I am very impressed with the motor but it is over propped for my boat. The dealer supplied the 16 x 18.5 prop and I can only turn 5250. A 17 pitch is on the way so I will update when I run the new prop.

The last few days were bumpy on the Gulf but the fuel burn was considerably less than my old OX66 250. The noise from the motor is a lot less and easier to listen to, more of a growl instead of a scream.

The controls and gauges are great. The handling at the dock is improved and the motor is whisper quiet until you shower down on the throttle, then it becomes a nicely muffled beast.

I will try to keep good records and post the fuel burn and speed numbers when I get her set up right.

The oversized prop may account for your fuel gains and better performance at the dock. Let us know what the new prop does for you...Good Luck!

Any luck with the new prop? It's time for me to pull the trigger on a zuke prop. in a similar position.

I look forward to more results as I most likely will put a 300 zuke on a Judge 27 if my boat sells as they offer only Honda or Zuke.

I just did the Zuke re power with the 250 last year. The improved handling is the 16" diameter prop. I have the 2510 DV on the transom.

I spin 6300 wot throttle with the 250 and a 16 X17. I'm actually considering an 18.5 to lower my cruise rpms. If you are only turning 5250 with the 300....its probably NOT going to work for me. I'm surprised, I thought you would be a little under propped with the 300HP.

You will love it. Wait until you do some trolling..... awesome

Still waiting for the new prop. It is supposed to be here today but I will be fishing. May fish with the 17 pitch Saturday.

Finally got the 16 X 17 X 3 Suzuki prop and I will run it tomorrow. I also got a Mercury Mirage Plus 15-3/8 X 18 X 3 to try. I am going to fish with the Suzuki prop tomorrow and I will try to run the Merc prop after I get back in. I'll post the results asap.

John,

I just saw the DF250 30" at Eds for 12k. They are probably not moving the30 inch 250's now that the 300's are in. Probably another 1300 for prop and controlls at Browns Point.

That is a low cost re-power !!

My DF250 is great on the DV.

I ran the Suzuki 3 blade 17 pitch on my charter today and it was better but still could not turn enough rpm. The best I could get was 5600 and 34 knots @WOT. After the fishing trip was over I changed the prop to a Mercury Mirage Plus 3 blade 18 pitch and I believe this is the prop I will keep. I will try to get better #s when the wind dies down over here.

This is what I have so far; the Merc prop let the motor run out to 6100 rpm @WOT and this gave 35 knots. I didn't write down the fuel burn for WOT but I got these #s. This was with 2 men and 110 gals of fuel.

5000 rpm
27 knots
16.22 GPH
1.66 nmpg

4500 rpm
24 knots
12.54 gph
1.91 nmpg

I will check my numbers the next time I get out and will update here.
The Merc prop felt a lot quicker but I haven't run it with a heavy load yet. I think it will do pretty good though.

You numbers don't make sense uless they changed the gear ratio on the 300. (now that I type gear ration I'll need to look at that)

I have the 2510 DV with a DF 250 on the transom notch. I blow right past 6000 at WOT (fun) even with the tank full.

I think you are better off, fuel wise with the 16" zuke prop. Did you get numbers (gph) with that ?

Good luck.

Phil

I too have a 250 zuke on a DV pilothouse. I have no problem getting 6400 RPM's will full load.

Mirage prop is a very good choice, keep us apprised as to final selection.

Hate to be a nay sayer but that big Zuke appears to be costing you at the pump for some top end you likely won't ever use. My Yami F250 on a very heavy 2520DVSC gets 1.7MPG at WOT (32 knots) , and rougly 2.0-2.2 MPG + at cruise from 21-25 knots.

I fished yesterday with a full load, 7 men, 350# of bait and ice, food, drinks and a couple hundred pounds of fish by the end of the day.

The Mirage Plus prop was not as impressive with a heavy load on it. The Suzuki 17 doesn't slip near as much with a heavy load.

Mirage 3x15-3/8x18 with a heavy load
5000 rpm
25 knts
16.5 gph
1.51 nmpg

Suzuki 3x16x17 with a heavy load
5000 rpm
30 knts
20.07 gph
1.5 nmpg

4800rpm
27 knts
17.6 gph
1.53 nmpg

4500 rpm
25 knts
15.3 gph
1.63 nmpg

4250 rpm
22 knts
13.7 gph
1.6 nmpg

The Mirage Plus would not keep the boat on plane as well as the Suzuki.

The low speed handling for anchoring and around the dock was much better with the Suzuki.

PaulH, are your mpg #s statute or nautical? I think the Suzuki will be a great motor once I get it dialed in. I will talk to Ken at Prop gods tomorrow, may try a 4 blade or tweek the Suzuki prop a little bit to get the rpms up.

I went with the Suzuki motor because of:

-better warranty
-more power per buck
-reliable reputation
-with the right prop I should have more grunt to push up out of the trough

I would have liked to stay with Yamaha mostly because of the outstanding service provided by Big Bend Marine, but the only way I could have gone up in power with Yamaha would have been twin F150s - too much money and modifications to my transom, not to mention twice the maintenance.

I'm wondering if my Navman fuel flow meter is messed up or something, but on my 2520DV with a bracket and a 250hp Ox66, I can get about 1.7-1.9mpg at cruise, roughly 24-27mph. I'm burning about 13-14 gph.

In heavy seas, full load and lots and lots of gear, it may drop somewhat, but I don't think it's every really been lower than 1.5mpg.

Could this 4 stroke technology really not offer that much of a savings?

John, my boat is really loaded down. With my old 250 OX66, the best I could hope for on a calm day with a full load was 1.3-1.4 nmpg. The #s I have gotten so far with the Suzuki have not been on slick water and I don't have the right prop on it yet. I'll keep you all posted as I go through the process.

My boat is rigged to do overnight trips so I have some stuff that most of you do not need. Maybe I don't need all of it either but I think I do. This is a list of the equipment on my boat. I am taking a swag at the weights.

EZ anchor puller - 150# w/ rope and anchor

Spare oversize Danforth chocked on the bow with chain and 600' of rope in the locker- 30#

4kw, 4' open array radar on top of a radar arch - 40#

28 gal live well - 240# when full

Aluminum frame 3/4 canopy over the cockpit - 75# plus any wind drag that it adds

4- group 27 deep cycle batteries - 240#

Big fish box in the back with ice - 350#

6 fishermen plus myself - 1200 - 1400#

That's well over a ton of added weight to my boat. Damn, maybe I should lighten the load a bit. :shock:

One other thing, is your Navman set for statute or nautical miles?

One other thing to note. On an 80 mile trip, .3 mpg better saves me $65 counting the Yamalube I don't burn and which I bought in bulk @ $15 per gal. Most of my trips saw 1.1 mpg with my old motor.

Latest posts

Back