4 Bladed Prop 2520DVSC with F250 Yamaha

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH / Emily S

Reaction score
Does anyone use a 4 bladed prop on a 2520DVSC with single 250 Yamaha ? I realize I might loose a knot off the top end, but a 4 blade supposedly will lift the stern, lower planing speed, and deliver greater mid-range push.

Any opinions or first hand experience ? In theory, it sounds like a good idea for this boat / motor combination.

I put a RevIV on a Parker 23' CCDV with a 225-4 Yamaha.

IMO, the boat planes off a little sooner, docks better, planes at a lower speed. It is also a little faster although that might be because I picked up the motor a hole.

A side benefit is the Merc prop does not have a rubber doughnut to "spin". I have never "spun" a prop, but always has been a concern as I fish with only one motor.

If you can now run up to max RPM, you'll use a RevIV the same pitch and diameter as your Yamaha black prop. Mine came from SIM over at THT. Overall, the RevIV is not magic, but worth the money on any boat that could use more HP.

a warning...expect to be "ragged" by B-Faithful for using Merc parts on your Yamaha. :lol:

If I was limited to a Merc prop that would rule it out ! :wink:

Interesting that you stayed with the same size, generally they drop some pitch over the three blade, as a rule of thumb.

Thanks, and keep the responses coming.

I gained top end speed with my rev 4. I also greatly increased my bite around the docks, and reduced my cruising prop slip too. However, I orginally had a 3 blade AL prop.

Greg, Is that the 4-blade that I tried on my boat?

If it is... I got great holes shot, good bite in the mid-range, but my motor wouldn't spin up past 5000 rpm, so it was a little too agressive.

I'm now wearing a 15x17 Merc Mirage SS 3-blade that is a good compromise.

My only complaint now is that it trolls a little too fast at 800 rpm, but I'll live with it, and the fish will have to try harder to hit my baits. :D

If you pull live baits too fast, they lose their natural "look", die and start spinning. King fishermen bump boat in and out of gear to maintain slow troll speed. Some think slowing and speeding up changes bait action and attracts kings.

As I understand it, Merc has designed the RevIV to be a direct replacement for typical 3 blade props. This is assuming your current 3 blade allows motor to rev up to maximum. The Merc prop should reduce RPM only 200-300 or so.

Although Merc has an "iffy" reliability record, IMO, no one can touch Merc's Hi-Performance and prop technology. For those interested, Mercury has a good prop selection guide at their site.

PaulH / Emily S":3dhyylm3 said:
FishFactory, my Merc comments were tonque in cheek...

:) I thought so :)

Are you disappointed with your re-power? Did your Yamaha 250 Saltwater Series have more power that your 250-4 has?

Some Bennett 30"x9"ers would do wonders for you (if you don't have them already).

No live bait's here. All plastics. :wink:

Image-E4B37E689C0811DA.jpg

Fishfactory - The F250 has not been installed yet. Turns out the 30" shaft version (which I require) is in short supply, bit of a wait. Fortunately, I'm on Long Island and haven't missed out on much fishing.

Just want some first hand info on the four blades, seems like it might be the way to go.

Kev, not sure if you tried the 17" I am currently running. You probably did if you only got 5000 rpms and tried a 4 blader. Only had a 15" and 17" Rev 4. I know the 15" would probably over rev on your boat as I went right to rev limiter on my boat with it.

Maybe its the prop 8) :p Then again maybe not :wink:

(3 on board, full gear, ~70 gal of fuel, warm day, bottom paint... she will run over 42 :twisted: )
Image-5C6E1AB650C511DB.jpg

Kev, take the plastics on the outside of your umbrellas and drop 'em back about 12" using a short piece of mono. Makes your bait balls look larger. :)

My new F250 is hung, several props have been run. Parker supplied data for a "Black SS 15x17" . According to them, the F250 will turn 6100 RPM on a 25 DVSC (SLD).

On my mature, heavily rigged boat we tried a Yami SWSII 15x17, which is, admittedly, a more agressive prop than the black steel. Max RPM was only around 5500 RPM (too low).

Next we went to a Merc Mirage 15.75x15, max RPM was 5900-6000 )trimmed up). Boat maxed out at 38 MPH with three onboard and 3/4 tank of fuel. At 4500 RPM we ran 29 MPH making 2.4 MPG (YES!)
maybe no need to look / try a 4 bladed prop.

The Mirage is very close to SWSII spec wise, but has a slightly narrower hub which "looks a little funny" on the Yami lower unit.

A Yami SWSII 15.75 x 15 is on the way awaiting sea trial.

So far it's all good .....

PaulH / Emily S":2uj05run said:
My new F250 is hung,
At 4500 RPM we ran 29 MPH making 2.4 MPG (YES!)
maybe no need to look / try a 4 bladed prop.

So far it's all good .....

"My new F250 is hung"....reports are the F250's are WELL hung! :D

29 MPH/2.4 MPG on a 25x10 footer boat over 3 tons !

Ya think Linwood knows what he is doing (spec'ing Yamahas) ? :wink:

My 1999 F250 Parker 2520 DVSC runs the best with "Black SS 15x17" .that is the prop thet was on my 1999 250 strok According to them, the F250 will turn 6100 RPM on a 25 DVSC When I have 4 of us in the boat and a full tank of fuel 173 gal.It turnd 6000 rpm trim up on the river. I would like to find a 4 blade prop that would work.Repowered last year to F250 and I love it.

Hi Rfb - On my 2520DVSC, which is heavily rigged, the 15x17black SS prop only made about 5600 RPM. Performance was down significantly from the Mirage 15.75x15 I had tried earlier. I ended up with a Yamaha SWSII 15.75x15, which performed comparably to the Mirage and maxed out at 6000 RPM (perfect).

In trying lots of props, what was clearly appranet was that the better props, Mirage and SWSII (double cupped props) move my boat better.

The 2.4 MPG stated earlier is a bit optimistic for normal operating, but is being achived under light load conditions. What I'm seeing under real conditions (loaded for fishing) is 2.0 - 2.2 across a nice range of cruise RPM (4500-5200) making 19-25 knots.

If you come up with soem good numbers for a 4 blase I'd still be interested. Good luck ....

Back