4 stroke oil and fogging

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rplas48

Reaction score
Have always used yamaha oil in my 2 stroke but have now bought the F150. Any thoughts of using synthetic auto oil as long as it meets the API and SAE requirements. Also do you have to remove the air intake silencer to fog out the engine??
thanks

Ray

Can't help with the oil as I run a 2-stroke...

But as far as fogging... remove as much as you have to in order to be able to spray fogging oil directly into each cylinders throat.

In most cases, that will require removing the silencer.

Thanks Kevin...that's what I figured ....I was surprised both the owners manual and shop service maual didn't address this.

Ray

You're welcome.
I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone is using full synthetic (Mobil 1, Royal Purple, ect) in their 4-storke outboard (after the break-in period, of course).

I've run Mobil 1 in my Jeep for years and it still holds 50#'s of oil pressure off idle with 176,000+ miles on it. 8)

FWIW - I have run Penzoil full-synthetic 2-stroke oil in my Yamaha 225 OX66 for the past 3 years with excellent results, though that isn't quite the same.

Every once in a while there is a raging (heated) discussion on TheHullTruth.com (and sometimes TidalFish.com) about using synthetic oil in the Yami 4-strokes.

Bottom line of all these discussions is that Yamaha doesn't recommend it, and those who are using it are doing so at their own risk.

I agree that as long as the oil meets the API & SAE requirements, you should be able to use it and not have any warranty problems. With $18k of engines hanging off the back of my rig, I've never gotten the nerve to use anything other than Yami 4S oil.

A consideration for me is that both of my F-115s are getting a bit of sodium in the oil. I started oil analysis a couple of years ago when I had one engine show signs of the fabled F-115 "Making Oil" problem. I expected fuel dillution, not sodium (probably salt water intrusion). I now change the oil every 50 hours (or twice a season, whichever is shorter), and do oil analysis on the oil coming out each time. Although these two F-115s have now crossed the 500 hr mark and are running beautifully, in light of the oil analysis, I'm going to keep running Yame 4S oil, and giving Harvey (@ Tri-State Marine in Deale, MD) the oil analysis sheets that come from Herguth.

WRT the "Making Oil" problem, most of it has been traced to not getting the engine hot enough, long enough during the breakin period to seat the rings. Yami now has a tech bulletin for the mechanics to use a hotter thermostat and plugs in selected (year or serial number range) engines.

The other part of the problem has been traced to the way the block holds oil high out of the oil pan, and when users check the oil, are led to believe it is low and add more. The procedure to check the oil on a Yami 4-S (or at least eh F-115s) is to run the engines a few minutes until the oil is warm and mixed up, shut down, run it all the way to the top of the tilt/trim stop, let it sit for a minute, then run it down until the block is level/vertical and check the oil. Checking the oil this way ensures that the oil is out of the cavities in the block and down in the oil pan where it should be for checking the level on the dipstick.

Porkchunker":1t3i9tr4 said:
The procedure to check the oil on a Yami 4-S (or at least eh F-115s) is to run the engines a few minutes until the oil is warm and mixed up, shut down, run it all the way to the top of the tilt/trim stop, let it sit for a minute, then run it down until the block is level/vertical and check the oil. Checking the oil this way ensures that the oil is out of the cavities in the block and down in the oil pan where it should be for checking the level on the dipstick.

Good information Dave.
Thanks! 8)

used your suggestion for tilting the engine up and down when draining and filling oil on myF150and when I did this more oil drained out. did the same when filling. good idea. For the time being I am also using the yamaha oil.

I plan on changing oil every 50 hours with the filter every 100 hours. If someone has experience with full synthetic auto oil like Quaker state. I'd like to hear from them. On specials you can get that oil for under $2 per quart with the same API and SAE as Yamaha. When I spoke to Yamaha about it then said that their 4 stroke oil has a little bit more additives.

Ray

Back