99 os66 250 problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i had a problem 2 weeks ago:the motor would bog and shut off @ 5200 rpms.replaced all filters including vst,replaced & cleaned o2 senor,and replaced 3 low pressure fuel pumps.ran the boat it was good.ran the boat 60 miles with no issues until i got back.here it is:at idle it stalls and spits.checked idle adjustment,vacuum leaks and grounds,all good.any ideas?????

'Stalls & spits' sounds like what they term a 'lean' cough. It is not uncommon for the needle valve on the carbs to need tweaking. 6 carbs on that puppy and you'll need to check all 6. Sometimes you need to work from 1 to the others in sequence, and then re-start all over again.

You need to get them in balance and adjusted correctly. You can do it yourself very easily with a OEM factory service manual, but IMHO do NOT trust a Seloc or Clymer $20 piece-o’-crap “service” manual.

You should contact Andy Jr. (posts by the name SIM) @ Shipland Island Marine, via http://www.shipyardisland.com/ContactUs.htm . He should be able to sell you a PDF version of the factory service manual for low cost and tell him you are a CP member, also let him know you’re just trying to adjust the carbs. He will need the model and serial number info direct from the OB's dataplate.

Note: If tweaking the carbs don’t cure this, then the motor could be a candidate for a ‘sync & link’ which synchronizes the carbs to the timing advance – a dealer/service task.

With that O2 sensor on that motor, consider adding Ring-Free with each fillup, 1 ounce to every 10-gallons I believe. Do a search on Megabyte's posting for Ring-Free, he's had phenomenal success keeping his OX66 running clean with it.

it wont idle at all.start it up rpms go up to about 1200,then comes down,hick-ups,spits and stalls.

Check the TPS (throttle position sensor) to make sure it is working correctly and giving you the correct reference voltages, and that it makes a smooth transition from idle to full throttle.

Also check the spark plug cap resistance to make sure they are in spec. I had a problem with my similar engine cutting out (happened pretty in-frequently) and later found that several of the spark plug caps were bad. Replaced them and haven't had the problem since.

-- Tom

If you did the VST filter, low pressure pumps and have a properly running O2 sensor, then I would agree you need to look into a few other things. I would also look at the TPS sensor.

thanks,will check friday.any one know what voltage range should read???still waiting for manual to arrive(next week)

You need a test adapter, or some other way to tap into the wires.

With engine off and key on, you should get the following voltages:

Orange-Red = Reference Voltage = 5V +/- .25V
Pink-Orange = Output Voltage = ~ .62V at idle up to 4-5V at full throttle

-- Tom

will test,also test the plug wires.thanks for the info.hopefully i find my problem in one of the 2 areas!!!

Back