A bad day of fishing but I'm glad I had my Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2fish

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago we were fishing the Chesapeake bay and the conditions changed very quickly. I was heading to the ramp when my motor got caught in a floating fishing net. The waves were 4+ and coming from the south which really calls for a rough time. The air temp was 41º and the water temp was 36º. Not a good day to be stranded. By the time I saw the net it was too late.

I hurried up and cut us out of the net because I have a notched transom and while hooked in the net the waves were coming in the back of the boat. Took a bit to cut out but I felt better when we were floating free. I tried to remove the net from the prop but it was imbedded under the prop also and the wind and waves made it too dangerous. I dropped anchor and called Towboat US. I'm glad I had the insurance.

Here is a short video that my buddy was shooting during the incident (I was pretty busy). Everything worked out well in the end but it could have been an entirely different outcome. This is the first time I've been stranded without a motor in my Parker. It is a pretty helpless feeling. I was happy that I had read posts about the dangers of the notched transom (although the water was draining pretty well I didn't want to wait for a rogue wave to change that). I also remember a post about keeping sharp knives close in case of emergency. I had one mounted on the back of the door and after donning a PFD and tying a rope around my chest for my crew to recover me in case I fell off the back while cutting the net, I was ready for the job. With a water temp of 36º and those waves I probably wouldn't have lasted too long trying to get back in the boat.

http://youtu.be/U05WwXeKDH4

Oh yea, we did catch some fish.

The bottom line is that we were prepared for a cold day of fishing and had the equipment and "insurance" to have fun and make it home. The music on the video is a bit tongue in cheek but if I had not been in a pilot house (with my heater) after getting wet cutting out of the net and waiting 1 hour for a tow, it would have been miserable.

Attachments

• Net in motor.jpg
    Net in motor.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 592
  • The catch.jpg
    The catch.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 592
Haha. Well, you know what they say about a bad day fishing... Plus, you still brought home dinner. Loved the video.

You should check the seals on your lower unit if that net was that jammed up in the prop

miky2884":37l1pcjf said:
You should check the seals on your lower unit if that net was that jammed up in the prop

Thanks. I pulled the prop the next day and there was none of the net in near the seal. I also took the opportunity to change the foot oil and no water in there. I lucked out.

Steve

Luv2fish":2yccwl3s said:
Thanks. I pulled the prop the next day and there was none of the net in near the seal. I also took the opportunity to change the foot oil and no water in there. I lucked out.

You certainly dodged a bullet there Steve.
Probably a good thing that you got towed, otherwise that net might have taken out the seal(s).

BTW - was that an illegal drift net?
If so, I would think DNR would like to know about it.
Even if it was legal, it was certainly a hazard to navigation and they should know about it.

Megabyte":1apampus said:
Luv2fish":1apampus said:

You certainly dodged a bullet there Steve.
Probably a good thing that you got towed, otherwise that net might have taken out the seal(s).

BTW - was that an illegal drift net?
If so, I would think DNR would like to know about it.
Even if it was legal, it was certainly a hazard to navigation and they should know about it.

I'm not an expert on the commercial fishing regulations but the Towboat Captain said that the nets were supposed to be 200 yards apart and only run North-South. This was East-West facing and there were 3 within a very small area. He said he had towed 3 boats out of the next in the last month. I did not report the nets because I just wasn't sure. They had a marker on one end with a flag but I didn't see a second flag. Probably moved by now.

Steve

I don't believe the gill nets need to be attended in VA like is required in MD. Were you in VA waters?

B-Faithful":3av8k5cn said:
I don't believe the gill nets need to be attended in VA like is required in MD. Were you in VA waters?

Yes I was in Virginia waters just south of the Potomac river.

Steve

I am very glad you all are safe. With the motor turned towards the seas, it could have been trouble. Nice work on getting free of the net so you could anchor bow into the seas. Thanks for the warning about the nets too.

Latest posts

Back